Lt. Commander
# 1 STO in Ubuntu 10.04
09-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Greetings.

I have a quad-boot system, running Ubuntu 10.04, Vista, XP, and Mepis 8.0.15. My Vista install was my primary gaming partition, but it's starting to get pretty screwed up, and it crashes regularly for an as-yet unknown reason. In any case, I've been trying to completely migrate to Ubuntu, and I know that some people from these forums have gotten STO to work in Wine. But I haven't actually installed STO, I'm just trying to run it from its location on my Vista partition.

I've installed Wine 1.2, and I can get the launcher to show up, and it patches okay. (Or seems to, there hasn't been an actual patch for it to download yet, but it looks for patches just fine.) However, the launcher doesn't load the game after patching, so I have to run the GameClient.exe itself. It loads, and I can login, but it hangs at the account server screen, and tells me that it timed out trying to log me on.

Also, when I go to launch GameClient.exe, it asks me if I want to use lowered graphics settings or defaults. However, I assume this is because it's trying to use DirectX or something along those lines.

In any case, what am I doing wrong, or what am I missing? I have a good amount of general computer knowledge and general Linux/Ubuntu knowledge, but this is the first time I've really tried to get a game to work under Linux.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Surely I can't be the only one trying to play STO from Ubuntu.

Any help at all would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-19-2010, 01:50 PM
i gave up after trying for a month so you're not getting eny help from me. but it is possible, at least in theory.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Well I'm currently trying to install IE7, which I read in another thread is required for STO. Then I'm hoping to be able to install STO finally. (I've tried to install it before, and it seems to work, but it takes FOREVER on the step of creating the .lnk file, and I've always just gotten tired of waiting and killed it.)
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-21-2010, 12:58 PM
you can install IE7 easily with Winetricks

you'll also want to set in your registry under Direct3D...

"StrictDrawOrdering"="disabled"

it helps a ton with stopping a lot of frame rate drops.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
you can install IE7 easily with Winetricks

you'll also want to set in your registry under Direct3D...

"StrictDrawOrdering"="disabled"

it helps a ton with stopping a lot of frame rate drops.
I tried to install IE7 and IE8 with winetricks last night, and I somehow screwed it up. (Probably because I had tried to install IE7 a different way before that. I think the two installation methods interfered with each other or something.)

Also, I've heard several people mention wine's registry, and I've attempted to do that, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Which .reg file should I be modifying, and is it important where in the file I put the additions/modifications?

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_House_of_Darok View Post
I tried to install IE7 and IE8 with winetricks last night, and I somehow screwed it up. (Probably because I had tried to install IE7 a different way before that. I think the two installation methods interfered with each other or something.)

Also, I've heard several people mention wine's registry, and I've attempted to do that, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Which .reg file should I be modifying, and is it important where in the file I put the additions/modifications?

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.
its very important...

you do not have to edit the .reg files directly... you can do this...

wine regedit

and get a normal Windows looking regedit.

if you just want to add the one entry I mentioned, its easiest to add it with Winetricks

winetricks strictdrawordering=disabled

IE8 will not work right.. do not try it... it wont work right for anything let alone STO.

make a clean wineprefix, and install IE7 to it first, then throw STO over there. Some others here say you need to do more on Linux, I don't know I only do it on Mac OS X so what I have to do will be only about 98% the same.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-22-2010, 05:15 AM
I am interested to see how STO performs under Linux, compared to Windows. If anyone has gotten it to work, could you post your specs and possibly do a youtube video showing how it runs.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Okay, I had it working great last night. Performance was greatly improved by using several tweaks I found on the forums, and it was purring along almost as well as in Windows. Then I tried to get my printer working, which is the last step on my complete migration to Linux.

In any case, I try to play STO this morning and I get a "Fatal Error" every time. I've even removed wine and started over. I just installed wine and IE7 and I still get the same error. (Although I still haven't deleted my STO installation, just because I don't want to have to wait that long to reinstall it. )

The specific error is:

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)
while resetting the device (, 2.00 GB memory available).

Technical Details: , 2.00 GB Memory Available

Does that mean anything to anyone? I tried a Google search of that error and didn't find anything useful.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_House_of_Darok View Post
The specific error is:

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)
while resetting the device (, 2.00 GB memory available).

Technical Details: , 2.00 GB Memory Available

Does that mean anything to anyone? I tried a Google search of that error and didn't find anything useful.
This is a generic error which says nothing more than "something went wrong". Not a useful one, sorry. You'll have to run with wine debugging on (and then go talk to the wine developers about interpreting the log - should lead you to the cause).