Lt. Commander
Quoted from Dstahl's state of the game 9-16-2010:

"This doesn’t mean that we’ll be making the KDF or any future faction as PvE episode-heavy as the Federation currently is. Maybe someday in the long-term future, but for now it is not a goal because we simply don’t have the manpower to do it."

And this is exactly why this game and many many others fail and will fail to achieve the success of WoW. If Atari and CBS really really wanted to make a challenge to Blizzard for the MMORPG market they would throw everything they have into STO. CBS would release a LOT more creative control to the developers. From the beginning there should have been 2 factions at the least with enough storyline between them to last an average player months. Any future faction should be as developed as the Federation side before it is released and there should not be a "play the feds to learn for 6 levels then play your chosen faction", it should be jump right in and go. And there should be enough content for the player to feel as if he or she IS truly a part of that faction. There would be content exclusive to class development, IE Missions only for Tactical officers, Skill trees that are available only to the classes and factions themselves for your character, not just the few abilities you are granted and the trees should be different according to faction(like disruptor turrets for Klingons etc). Each faction's trees should have some things that are not available to the other faction simply because of differing tech and differing tech levels. There would be real ground combat where the enemies don't go after just whoever is doing the most damage but also a tank that can get and hold aggro, real AOE abilities and more planning would be required than the run and gun way it is now. But no, we are considered, i am sure, a niche market and they think we will continue to play STO simply b/c it is Star Trek.
Unfortunately this is not going to happen. Many of my fleet mates have already quit playing b/c of boredom. I myself have 4 Fed VA's and 1 Lt.Gen. Klingon and the only thing left for me to do is weekly episodes or PvP and the game has only been out since, what, February? Oh and the diplomatic grind of 10 points per explore mission is un-fun and ridiculous also.
I admittedly had high hopes for STO but I, and I fear a great many others, feel that as soon as Cataclysm hits the shelves this game will become more of s ghostland than it already is. The sad part? I for sure will be leaving and most likely not check back in for quite a while. And that check in will only happen if STO is still around, which w/o more investment by Atari and CBS will not happen.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Yousa thinking yousa people ganna die??
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Oh next not forget the new ground breaking combat system they working on. I do recall Sony tried something like that for Star Wars NGE, and it failed big time.

So yes to "Yousa thinking yousa people ganna die??"
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkarall
Oh next not forget the new ground breaking combat system they working on. I do recall Sony tried something like that for Star Wars NGE, and it failed big time.

So yes to "Yousa thinking yousa people ganna die??"
The NGE created a mess because it reduced player options.

Big changes to an MMOG are alright as long as they increase player options.

Specifically, the NGE completely yanked away the entire system of character development, which players had spend many hours working with in order to customize their characters. It replaced it with a cookie-cutter system of character classes, which also went against the sandbox nature of SWG's game play up to that point. If you take a player's character away, that they had spent weeks and months developing, and give them something back that is designed how you, but not how they want it to be, you have to expect rebellion and desertion.

I don't know whether the proposed changes to STO ground combat will achieve anything good, but keep the above in mind when contrasting things against Sony Online Entertainment's Star Wars Galaxies New Game Experience debacle.

Also:

Quote:
We have a new ground combat mode in testing that allows you to switch to a target reticule and shoot your weapons where you are aiming instead of needing to click target.
From the SOTG in question, means to me that this is something you switch to, not something that completely changes ground combat. In honesty, however, if they want to completely change ground combat...well...lets just say I won't miss ground combat in its current incarnation.

As for the rest of the state of the game article, I found it encouraging for the following reasons:
  1. Almost half of it was dedicated to the Klingons (a faction that feels "left out").

2. It was up front and honest about limitations for development.

3. It didn't promise massive and sweeping changes or additions which would be beyond the realm of reasonable accomplishment. Controllable PvP territories would be in this category (sadly).

4. The changing of the ground combat system is in direct opposition of Jack Emmert's "...if you didn't have a feature at launch, you might as well never have it." PR slip up. Seriously, that is a bone-headed thing to say, whether or not it is true.

I found it fascinating for the following reasons:
  1. It sounded like it was written by someone who has been a bit frustrated by aspects of development up to this point.

2. Mention was made to debates before launch of yanking the Klingon faction. As a point of disclosure, I had lobbied for this myself during beta, as I felt it was deleterious to the reputation of any MMOG to release a faction that was in a "partial-complete" state. I thought it was better to simply not have that faction at all. The Klingon players of the time, typically, told me to shut-up. I'm not even sure those players even play STO any more...

3. The dev team seemed to not really know what they wanted to do with the Klingons. This is probably why they were never well developed as a faction. In fact, a subtext I got from the listing is that there might have been a general lack of leadership from the start. I could be mistaken in this observation, however.

Overall, I would say that the State of the Game showed that Danial Stahl has a good grasp of what the greatest weaknesses are in STO, and also recognizes that he has limited resources with which to tackle them. This is a good sign, as perhaps he knows how to apply those resources to what can be accomplished, rather than chasing pipe dreams that will just suck time and money out of further development. Time will tell if this is true.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Who designs a game to 'kill" WoW?

It's as pretentious as setting out to film a "Dr. Strangelove" or "Full Metal Jacket" killer.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-16-2010, 04:59 PM
"You gotta aim for something." I guess is what they meant, wither that's true or not. Cryptic isn't aiming quite so high, I don't think... if we like to consider it or not games like Eve and Wow that have been around for a long time seem like icons compared to new games just starting out. To try from the word "Go!" to bring one down would be suicide, and I don't think they're that crazy yet.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-16-2010, 07:20 PM
WoW is an abomination, fluke, or whatever you want to call it. 100k+ players is a successful MMO target. STO, Star Wars, and DCUO have the potential to up a fight against ******** since there is a larger fanbase for the source material, but there might be the problem of the MMO's canon not matching the player's canon which is something that WoW didn't have to deal with.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Competing MMO's?
09-16-2010, 08:05 PM
The notion of one MMO "beating" another in subscriber numbers is nonsense and really apples and oranges as all of these games are different themes, different stages in development, and different core playerbases.

For those of us who actually have sufficient disposable income to be burning on wastes of time like this, generally folks can and do play multiple MMOs (EVE, WOW, various others before they went free) and on top of it the oh-so-hated microtransactions plus numerous paid alt accounts in some cases. Even if you were to run a comparison, all of which here is pure conjecture I might add, the accuracy and value of such data would be questionable at best.

The comparative numbers might be a benchmark for relative popularity (again, taking into account all the things mentioned above) but of far greater import to the Cryptic team is the overall subscriber number of STO and churn versus the game scope and development resources they have.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Hmm I have missed a single mention of the bug fixing. I have left for a month so I would like to ask. Has the B'Tran (and other exploration clusters) been fixed? Has the übermobs been fixed? Is there finaly some endgame content or are both my VAs stuck with B'tran and daily fleet actions? Yes, I read about the weekly episodes, but why do them, when the reward is useless XP?? Shall I stop hoping and simply click on cancel subscription?
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizen_Giggles View Post

The comparative numbers might be a benchmark for relative popularity (again, taking into account all the things mentioned above) but of far greater import to the Cryptic team is the overall subscriber number of STO and churn versus the game scope and development resources they have.
This.

I do find it interesting that Stahl specifically mentioned churn as an obstacle to overcome. To me, it is good that they recognize this as something that needs to be addressed. I suspect that the weeklies play a part in attacking this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ller View Post
Hmm I have missed a single mention of the bug fixing. I have left for a month so I would like to ask. Has the B'Tran (and other exploration clusters) been fixed? Has the übermobs been fixed? Is there finaly some endgame content or are both my VAs stuck with B'tran and daily fleet actions? Yes, I read about the weekly episodes, but why do them, when the reward is useless XP?? Shall I stop hoping and simply click on cancel subscription?
That's right, because those were not specifically mentioned, they are no longer being addressed. Ever. Period. Pack your bags, because they will never be fixing another bug ever again, let alone even considering anything else on your list. It is the end of everything!