Lt. Commander
# 1 Mobile Cloaking Devices
09-16-2010, 12:52 PM
How would people feel about a ship device as a cloak, eg. Scotty mounting a Romulan cloak on the Enterprise?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Hmmm like a battery? Limited duration and long cool down?

Wait wait.... Klingon captain: "Waaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaa. I don't want feddies to be able to run and cloak like I do!" Stomps feet "Waaaaaaaaa."

There now that thats out of the way, I think it would be a cool thing to have. Especialy if it was a battle cloak so the larger kdf ships and feds could take advantage of that particulat strategy. But you have to loose the damage bonus on decloak, only fair.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Most don't get the damage bonus anyways, the Refit Defiant's don't, they get a 40% resistance buff instead. I think it's the same for the Gal X as well. Also. . your talking about MES which is an ability. Since we already have an ability that any ship can use I'm not sure I'd see the point of having a console that does the same thing.

~D
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-16-2010, 02:08 PM
MES isn't a true cloak as you are still visable. I don't know about the OP but I meant a consumeable battery like device that grants a battle cloak for a short time. Minus the damage bonus but useable in combat.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeable View Post
MES isn't a true cloak as you are still visable. I don't know about the OP but I meant a consumeable battery like device that grants a battle cloak for a short time. Minus the damage bonus but useable in combat.
MES is a very powerful skill, if used properly - for one thing, it is almost as good as a cloak in terms of raw stealth numbers (at least MES II+). You can keep your shields, and you get a defense bonus.

Also, i'd love to see you try and spot a ship >10km away without the big red box. Sure - if you are looking carefully you might spot an MES ship - but that is quite unlikely to happen in a team PvP situation.

As for battery cloaks (esp a battle cloak), I'm not sure the Klinks would be too happy about us taking ANOTHER klingon specific ability. The klingon ships are underpowered enough as it is. I don't think a token 'nerf' would help either.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposeable View Post
I don't know about the OP but I meant a consumeable battery like device that grants a battle cloak for a short time. Minus the damage bonus but useable in combat.
I like this and there is canon to support it, the TOS episode "The Enterprise Incident". But it would have to be like a battery in that it could only be used once. Alien device burns out as it it is not compatible with Fed systems. It would also need to be a somewhat rare drop, and definitly not something Feds could buy(even from the Ferengi).

As has been said though the Klingons wouldn't be happy about it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Are you guys sure you are still visible to the enemy team under MES? I've marched my big fat VoQuv up to players without them seeming to notice.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
MES is a very powerful skill, if used properly - for one thing, it is almost as good as a cloak in terms of raw stealth numbers (at least MES II+). You can keep your shields, and you get a defense bonus.

Also, i'd love to see you try and spot a ship >10km away without the big red box. Sure - if you are looking carefully you might spot an MES ship - but that is quite unlikely to happen in a team PvP situation.

As for battery cloaks (esp a battle cloak), I'm not sure the Klinks would be too happy about us taking ANOTHER klingon specific ability. The klingon ships are underpowered enough as it is. I don't think a token 'nerf' would help either.
With a battery cloak you dont have to use a BO slot for MES. I dodn't say MES wasn't good, I said it wasn't a true cloak. And you cant park 5k away with MES or use it to cloak and run from a fight thats not going your way.

Klingon players could use it too so say a negh'var could battle cloak if it felt like it. Not sure how they would use it but it would be limited like batterys and with a long cool down.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-16-2010, 03:00 PM
I think it is better to keep some abilities, such as the battle cloak, limited to certain factions - and more importantly - certain ships. Sure, a battery would only be a temporary cloak - but a battle cloak's main function is the fact it can be used to get out of a fight.

Best to keep some things exclusive to feds and others exclusive to klinks. Gameplay would get kinda boring otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
Are you guys sure you are still visible to the enemy team under MES? I've marched my big fat VoQuv up to players without them seeming to notice.
Not sure about this - I could understand if the ship was still visible, it doesn't deflect visible light after all, but maybe game mechanics mean it isn't visible. I don't actually know.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
I think it is better to keep some abilities, such as the battle cloak, limited to certain factions - and more importantly - certain ships. Sure, a battery would only be a temporary cloak - but a battle cloak's main function is the fact it can be used to get out of a fight.

Best to keep some things exclusive to feds and others exclusive to klinks. Gameplay would get kinda boring otherwise.
Awww but I like harassing klingons, why, just the other day I fedexed some tribbles to quo'nos.