Lt. Commander
# 31
09-22-2010, 12:53 PM
here's how it would work: the Cloaking Device device would only be obtainable by RA and above Fed ranks by either coming in first in the Klingon Fleet Fleet Action or by coming out of an FvK PVP match with no deaths, your side winning, and you killing every other ship on the other side at least once. Also, the 2nd option would not apply to private challenges
Lt. Commander
# 32
09-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyias View Post
Honestly, nobody should get a battle cloak except the Bop innately and hopefully one day, a device that allows Klingon and Romulan ships to gain the ability using a device slot.

It would be cool to see the normal cloaking devices used in a device slot however with a long cooldown once they come out of cloak.
Why not just go all the way and make cloaking devices like regular ship equipment like shields weapons or consoles instead of innate ship abilities. Something that stays with the ship and can be upgraded like the rest of the equipment. There could be different kinds with stats and bonuses for certain things including limitations for what ships can equip what kind or if any.

Some ships could have a special slot just for a cloaking device and others might need to give up a weapon slot or some other normal ship equipment to equip a cloaking device. There could even be negative effects to ships using cloaking devices that were not designed to use cloaking devices. Like lower overall power levels or a chance for a random ship component to fail in or near combat like shields, weapons or even the cloaking device.

Maybe there could be a skill tree/box for cloaking devices. Example: Klingons could get this at the start of their characters (plus extra XP just for that), but only fed tactical officers could get it at Rear Admiral and would need to invest much more points.

For Klingons this would not change much (other than needing to pick what cloacking devices to use.) However, it would give the option to Feds only with consequences that Klingons would not have. I believe that the Klingons or the Romulans should be experts at using Cloaking technology because they have a much longer history in Star Trek using it. The Feds have seemed to just dabble with it from time to time, but never very successfully on their own. My observation of this could be wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 33
09-22-2010, 03:41 PM
MES is a sort of cloak and that requires you to give up a fair amount. (a sci boff slot is quite a big deal). You can use mes to give you the element of surprise. As for skills in cloaking - you need skills that increase aux power.

It is a good thing that only certain ships can use a cloak. They all sacrifice quite a lot for it. (tac refit is a prime example). Different ships need different and unique skills. Wouldn't it be dull if all ships had the same stats?
Lt. Commander
# 34
09-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
Different ships need different and unique skills. Wouldn't it be dull if all ships had the same stats?
I do not believe anyone here is asking for, wanting, or suggesting that all ships should have the same skills or stats. I also think different ships need different and unique skills or stats. I thought that was obvious enough in my post and it seems to be consistent with all the other posts suggesting cloak ideas in this thread. Who is asking for all ships to have the same skills or stats?

I am basically talking about expanding on what cloaking devices are in game in a way that the supposed MES alternative does not apply. Perhaps my idea is not a popular or a good idea, but it is definitely not proposing that all ships should be the same.
Lt. Commander
# 35
09-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaw View Post
I do not believe anyone here is asking for, wanting, or suggesting that all ships should have the same skills or stats. I also think different ships need different and unique skills or stats. I thought that was obvious enough in my post and it seems to be consistent with all the other posts suggesting cloak ideas in this thread. Who is asking for all ships to have the same skills or stats?

I am basically talking about expanding on what cloaking devices are in game in a way that the supposed MES alternative does not apply. Perhaps my idea is not a popular or a good idea, but it is definitely not proposing that all ships should be the same.
There are already a set of skills that boost cloaking (eng training, aux maintenance and aux performance) beyond that I don't personally see how MES doesn't apply. It's a skill instead of a console is all.

Could you elaborate on what sort of cloak types your talking about?

~D

EDIT: and I think what people are saying is that allowing any ship to have a cloak is the same as giving them the same skills, thus rendering it universal. If everyone has it then it could become part of the whole min/max building that everyone seems to be wild over.