Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
I don't regularly complain about the game or pick bones about it, but one of my issues is the Space PVP Arena map Solar Wind. I don't have any graphical issues, but about half of the people I talk to have major issues with it and their graphics cards. With weaker cards, the lag is just ridiculous. While lowering graphics settings helps, it's no fun at all. Back when there was an option for maps, it wasn't an issue, but now we are randomly placed in PvP maps and it is an issue. I don't want to see it gone, but maybe you can reduce the occurrence of the map, or make a separate queue for just Briar Patch and Cracked Planetoid.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-16-2010, 01:52 PM
I have no graphical issues with Solar Wind, but I know several people who do. In the interest of balance and general public appreciation, I think I have to agree with you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I like the map, but the graphics are overwhelming. That, and there is no star from which charged particles in the form of solar wind can come, but that's just a minor issue.

Another solution would be to reduce the amount of motion in the background (the white streaks shooting across the screen).
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-16-2010, 02:21 PM
I too have a problem with Solar Wind. It's gotten a little better while running at the lowest possible graphics setting but it's still pretty rough on me. A simple reduction in some of that excess stuff that has no effect on anything except to lag out less than impressive machines (like mine ) would seem reasonable.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-16-2010, 02:38 PM
I too have issues with this arena, i never signed up for it when i had that option, now i have to run this game with the lowest possible resolution, because i never know when i'm going to be in solar wind. I love the space pvp in this game,& am always in a pvp queue, Even at the lowest resolution, i still get lag, please nerf the graphics on this arena or give us the option of opting out of matches in this arena. Or even better, give us the choice of where we want to fight.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-16-2010, 05:33 PM
I used to have issues on Solar Wind, but they've gotten a lot better. I'm playing the unofficial Mac version, and the newer versions of that (and newer versions of WINE I guess) have improved graphics support. I really feel for people who just can't handle it though, since it used to be a slide-show for me.

I think the best option would be to just turn down the eye-candy on that map. Maybe rework the still graphics a bit to give the impression of movement, while bringing the actual movement down to a reasonable level.

If that's not possible, I really don't think it ought to be included in random queues. That one map is harder on low-end systems than anything else in the game, so it puts them at an unfair disadvantage.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-17-2010, 03:12 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned seasickness yet, you kind of get the feeling that you are not moving at all.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-17-2010, 04:16 AM
Take some hallucinogenic drugs then play Solar Wind. You'll feel like you're moving!
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-17-2010, 04:39 AM
Turn off post-processing effects.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-17-2010, 07:59 AM
I've toned down the effect, but my graphics card / driver still doesn't like this map.