This was an awsome post thank you DEVS!
Lt. Commander
# 42 Great Post
04-16-2009, 07:53 PM
very cool! Keep the story moving!
Lt. Commander
# 43 Nice job
04-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Very cool read. I love these little bits and pieces of story about what transpired leading up to the time the game takes place.

Aside from checking out the home page regularly and the articles there, I've been kind of out of the loop on a couple things.

One in particular I'm wondering about: Will there be any novels to cover the time pertaining specifically to the time leading up to 2409 in the STO universe? I read some TNG books as well as the DS9 relaunch, and just wondered if any books are planned to tell a story specifically to explain the Star Trek Online.
Lt. Commander
# 44
04-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Excellent!!!! Looking Forward!!!
Lt. Commander
# 45
04-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Excellent writing. It is things like this that help us keep the faith during the long wait.

I am very interested in Klingon-Gorn relations.
Lt. Commander
# 46
04-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Seems way off and very inconsistent on two main points. First, the Gorn never retreating when defending their homes, the entire story is about the guy taking Gorn refugees to safety. You can assume that none of the Gorn taken felt the station was their home, but if that's the case, then it needs to be made clear that David Steiner isn't fleeing with refugees but taking people to their homes. If they do consider the station their home, and I would expect the Gorn with hatchlings would consider the station their home, then they shouldn't be leaving. It doesn't even matter if they can or cannot fight, it's like some old person who is too crotchety to leave, even though they are sure to die by staying.

Secondly, you have the klingons shooting at refugee shuttles, for what I can only assume is sport. Yet, you have the guy say with what I think is a straight face, "The Klingons aren't barbarians, Commander. They fight with honor. They conquer, but they treat the conquered fairly," which is not only inconsistent with the previous scene, but inconsistent with how the Klingons act in TNG and DS9. By Klingon standards, perhaps Klingons treat the defeated fairly, except Klingons consider victory the highest honor, and defeat a situation that requires the achievement of honor through suicide. Their fair treatment of defeated soldiers would be giving the defeated knives to kill themselves. If they attack the Klingon who gives them the knife, then they might be given respect. Those who didn't fight would be treated lower than dirt. There is also the point where it's said the Klingons took the sick and injured to get help, the Klingons don't do that. In DS9, it was clearly stated they kill captured wounded, as a matter of honor, they believe they're doing the wounded a favor.
Lt. Commander
# 47
04-16-2009, 09:05 PM
/stare

Well, I did say a while back that the "Paths" felt a little impersonal, and would feel more like Star Trek if they dramatized events through characters.

But my word.

Be careful what you wish for....

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 48
04-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Great read!!!! Can't wait till the game is released.
Lt. Commander
# 49
04-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
Seems way off and very inconsistent on two main points. First, the Gorn never retreating when defending their homes, the entire story is about the guy taking Gorn refugees to safety. You can assume that none of the Gorn taken felt the station was their home, but if that's the case, then it needs to be made clear that David Steiner isn't fleeing with refugees but taking people to their homes. If they do consider the station their home, and I would expect the Gorn with hatchlings would consider the station their home, then they shouldn't be leaving. It doesn't even matter if they can or cannot fight, it's like some old person who is too crotchety to leave, even though they are sure to die by staying.

Secondly, you have the klingons shooting at refugee shuttles, for what I can only assume is sport. Yet, you have the guy say with what I think is a straight face, "The Klingons aren't barbarians, Commander. They fight with honor. They conquer, but they treat the conquered fairly," which is not only inconsistent with the previous scene, but inconsistent with how the Klingons act in TNG and DS9. By Klingon standards, perhaps Klingons treat the defeated fairly, except Klingons consider victory the highest honor, and defeat a situation that requires the achievement of honor through suicide. Their fair treatment of defeated soldiers would be giving the defeated knives to kill themselves. If they attack the Klingon who gives them the knife, then they might be given respect. Those who didn't fight would be treated lower than dirt. There is also the point where it's said the Klingons took the sick and injured to get help, the Klingons don't do that. In DS9, it was clearly stated they kill captured wounded, as a matter of honor, they believe they're doing the wounded a favor.

Just wondering, but weren't you the same person who thought the previous supplemental log didn't make sense, and made a stink that Starfleet disbanding the Borg task force didn't make sense, either? No offense, but seriously, your arguments seem nitpicky and petty. You're acting like things stated to be cultural norms for these species are hard rules that each character has to follow, a mandate set in stone. The Klingons tend to follow a warrior philosophy, yet we've seen Klingons before that don't believe in that philosophy and don't fight on the battlefields (such as Antaak from the Enterprise Klingon Augment arc). They value honor, yet we saw even Martok's own son not live up to these standards. Let the writers have some leeway with their characters, and not act like everyone should be predictable to the point of mathematical calculation.

Besides, since you seem to have a regular problem with the supplemental logs, why not write your own and offer up an alternative you think would make sense, and let us analyze and pick apart the inconsistencies here?

As for the log itself, I thought it was a pretty good update, myself. My regards to Kestrel for some wonderful writing. At times I thought it swayed a bit too much to the overly dramatic side, but I found it believable and was a much better look at something that got a cursory sentence or two in the main timeline update. It's good to see more information about the Klingon side of things (as well as Gorn), especially since the timelines have heavily favored Romulan and Federation interests so far. It was getting a little odd getting so little info on one of the two major players to be set up when we actually play STO. Keep 'em coming, Kestrel and Awen.
Lt. Commander
# 50
04-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Hrm ...

::taps her chin with a claw::

Intersting ...