Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Suggestion: Tie Klingon PvP Efforts to PvE Content in Fed Space

Okay, I just had an inspiration while replying in another thread regarding the latest state of the game message. I thought I would share it as an idea...

Suggestion: Have the PvP aspect of Klingon play make a real difference in the game world. Here is an idea -- a built-in monitor to the game that tallies PvP wins and losses between the factions...when a certain threshold is reached in terms of wins and losses, then that faction gains territory that they can enter and do missions in. For example...a threshold is reached to the point where Klingons can enter sectors that are currently closed to them and do missions that are normally only Federation-based (such as Crystal Entity, etc). Imagine a Klingon fleet blockading Sol or DS9 -- just like in the real show. Of course...the disparity of numbers would quickly be a factor...but hey, it WOULD be a good day to die!

This PvE content already exists -- Klingons would be able to gain access to it by earning it through faction PvP wins.

And you can have the threshold reset every seven days -- perhaps time a reset for the release of the weekly dailies.

What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-18-2010, 09:25 AM
So...your saying people who dont want to PvP should be locked out of content(on a faction that is already light on content) until those who do want to PvP are POSSIBLY able to unlock it for them?
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I honestly don't think that was the OP's intention, but rather to try to brainstorm options to make the game environment and game play a bit more dynamic and interactive.

Given the game design with instancing and all, I just don't know how well it could be implimented (if at all).

edit: TBH - a Klingon Fleet blockading Sol would really be cool. It's these little things that could happen from time to time that would really shake up the gameplay and make it not so...predictable.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
So...your saying people who dont want to PvP should be locked out of content(on a faction that is already light on content) until those who do want to PvP are POSSIBLY able to unlock it for them?
If you don't like PvP you shouldn't play a Klingon for the next 2 years or so, which is when the Klingons MAY have finally caught up to feds content-wise - that is CURRENT levels of content, not the levels of content they'll have 2 years from now necessarily.

The OP's ideas are excellent actually. A lot of existing Fed missions are inherently faction-neutral or could be rewritten with minor tweaks to be doable by both factions.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warem
If you don't like PvP you shouldn't play a Klingon for the next 2 years or so,
Actually, I'm leveling my Klingon on star clusters ATM and enjoying it, so I'll play how I want thank you very much

That said, there is a difference between not wanting to PvP and not liking it. I like it, but that doesnt mean I want to do it ALL the time. Furthermore, I'm not a very big fan of PvP ques; I'll be more interested in PvP when an open PvP sector is added.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-18-2010, 09:48 PM
To clarify to those who do not wish to PvP -- this is the ultimate answer for you.

Because the majority of Klingon players DO PvP, all you have to do is wait until those hard-working individuals "win" the threshold for the Faction, then YOU have access to all that fine PvE content, as a Klingon, on the Fed side.

The results of reaching the threshold are not per individual...it is for the entire faction.

The only thing that could stop that is if the Federation PvPers managed to prevent the Klingons from reaching that "win" threshold....

So, for PvE content, this would be ideal in that it would boost PvE Klingon options through the roof.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTempest
Because the majority of Klingon players DO PvP, all you have to do is wait until those hard-working individuals "win" the threshold for the Faction, then YOU have access to all that fine PvE content, as a Klingon, on the Fed side.
First of all, if the Devs were really going to take the time necessary to convert Fed episodes to be playable by Klingons, theres no way they are going to lock people out of them depending on which faction controls X sector.

Second, you mentioned "all you have to do is wait", but not everyone has all day to play. Some people are only able to play an hour a day or less because of being "hard working" in REAL LIFE, and those people shouldnt have to wait on the "hard working" video game players to unlock their content when they get a chance to log in.

I'll give you props on trying to improve the KDF faction, but your specifics simply dont make reasonable sense when you get right down to it. Id love to have territories that can be captured in PvP, but whether or not your faction is sucessful shouldnt limit your gameplay. If anything, maybe the faction that controls the territory gets extra rewards or bonuses for the missions in question.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-19-2010, 01:50 AM
I like the idea if only so that my Fed ship could "visit" Qo'oS for a little "gun boat diplomacy". (hehe)
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Actually, I'm leveling my Klingon on star clusters ATM and enjoying it, so I'll play how I want thank you very much :rolleyes
So, you can continue to enjoy the thrilling and amazing gameplay experience you currently cherish, without loosing anything, while everyone else gets to enjoy the added features. Win win!

Options do not force you to do anything. Also, there is nothing saying this would have to be queue-only, or even queue-tied, necessarily. It could just as easily be open pvp a la Kerrat for all we know.

I think the OP's ideas have a lot of merit.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-19-2010, 05:53 AM
Quote:
First of all, if the Devs were really going to take the time necessary to convert Fed episodes to be playable by Klingons, theres no way they are going to lock people out of them depending on which faction controls X sector.

Second, you mentioned "all you have to do is wait", but not everyone has all day to play. Some people are only able to play an hour a day or less because of being "hard working" in REAL LIFE, and those people shouldnt have to wait on the "hard working" video game players to unlock their content when they get a chance to log in.

I'll give you props on trying to improve the KDF faction, but your specifics simply dont make reasonable sense when you get right down to it. Id love to have territories that can be captured in PvP, but whether or not your faction is sucessful shouldnt limit your gameplay. If anything, maybe the faction that controls the territory gets extra rewards or bonuses for the missions in question.
My points and ideas are not meant to be offensive to you. Real life always takes precedence -- I also do not have a lot of time to spend "in game" and I also am employed, for which I am thankful in these times.

Look -- the above idea is entirely optional. In fact, should something like this be implemented, absolutely nothing would change for the player who is content to do the KDF nebula grinds. That individual would not be required or forced to do anything at all different. The game simply does not change. All this idea does is to provide to the Klingon faction two things -- first of all, to make PvP actually meaningful to the point where it impacts the gameworld. This is done in many MMOs - In fact, WoW, which is brought up often for comparison as an MMO to others, has this very same functionality built in where capturing a certain area opens up shops and NPCs to that particular faction. This idea is not all that different. Secondly, this is an easy way to provide a lot more PvE options and leveling to Klingon players without having to reinvent the wheel. It is economical and efficient, and much easier to do than to create content entirely from scratch. This type of idea would supplement, not replace Klingon PvE.

As another poster has pointed out, many of the Federation missions are faction neutral. All of the episodes that involve fighting or interating with Romulans, Cardassians, and Borg would require little modification to allow Klingon players to do those missions. Those missions that are directly against Klingon NPCS could be closed to us, or could be treated as a mission against a rogue house.

Bottom line -- this is just an idea. I do not work for Cryptic, and it could be that the entire idea simply is not feasible, but it is just an idea. This idea does not limit gameplay for anyone -- KDF current content simply would not change, and acquisition of the PvP threshold would be temporary and reset every week. If the KDF wins the threshhold early on, that would be a week of access to one or more Federation territories...when that week is up, the threshold is set back to zero, and the process starts again.

If my "hard working" comment got to you -- I apologize. That was a bit of "tongue in cheek" so to speak. I know that there are KDF players that are pure PvE...but to be candid, those individuals are very much in the minority on the KDF side as far as I know. Practically every KDF player PvPs to some extend -- some more than others -- but without PvPing....the level grind has to be extremely tedious.