Lt. Commander
# 11
09-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvord View Post
Yes but DO NOT use a compressed air machine. Use a can of compressed air. Not sure where you are located but you can get them pretty easily these days. They even have them at the big chain grocery stores where I live.

If this is in fact the problem I would expect you would see dust caked on the CPU heatsink, on the edges of the CPU fan, possibly on the fan for your power supply. If it's not noticeable we are probably barking up the wrong tree.

the only way to really be sure is to monitor the temp with software. I would suggest you do this BEFORE you clean it out so you have something to compare it to after. Also if the temps are low without doing anything it will save you the trouble of doing all this.
i see. well i dont notice a significant amount of dust, last time i cleaned it out was in may of this year, when i got the first card. im going to monitor the temp of the cpu at the time of shutdown and post it when i get a number, so that we know if we are going in the right direction or not.

EDIT: starting the monitoring alrdy, the CPU temp is 5 degs. C more than the gpu. not sure if that is significant or not...
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-18-2010, 07:37 PM
What's the temp of the CPU? And say if the temp is at idle (not doing anything) or load (playing STO).

It's possible that your CPU has to work a lot harder with the 250 as the on board GPU is probably a bottleneck (meaning the CPU is at a lower usage); this could cause higher temps.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkikij View Post
EDIT: starting the monitoring alrdy, the CPU temp is 5 degs. C more than the gpu. not sure if that is significant or not...
You noted earlier the GPU was at 65C so the CPU is running at 70C ?

It depends on the CPU but yeah that is pretty hot.

Ok I looked up and see you have a

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

That CPU can handle a good deal of heat but 70C is probably close to the upper limit.

Like the posted above said - you need to post the idle temp and the temp under load like sto.

Another good program to use is Prime95 - it will push the CPU to 100% and you wont have to keep alt tabbing.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Quote:

That CPU can handle a good deal of heat but 70C is probably close to the upper limit.

Like the posted above said - you need to post the idle temp and the temp under load like sto.

Another good program to use is Prime95 - it will push the CPU to 100% and you wont have to keep alt tabbing.
its idling at 46/47 C. ill test the temp under load right now
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Quote:

i also suppose this would be a good time to state that i cannot run STO either...for about a week now its been saying "cannot connect to login server". it is stuck on the login screen for the longest time, but idk. filed a ticket, no word yet. im using the 3d vantage mark test from madonion.com
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-18-2010, 08:13 PM
UPDATE: after running the extensive 3 mark test from future mark, i was able to run ALL 4 extensive test fully, and the temps for my cpu and gpu remained consistent. the gpu, was at 41 C and the cpu at 46 C. my old card (the one i sent in for this new replacement) couldnt even make it through the 1st test without shutting down. but whats odd is that my pc still was shutting down earlier, even with this new card, while doing barely anything, while now after 4 extensive tests, it didnt shutdown. odd...
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Quote:
i also suppose this would be a good time to state that i cannot run STO either...for about a week now its been saying "cannot connect to login server". it is stuck on the login screen for the longest time, but idk. filed a ticket, no word yet. im using the 3d vantage mark test from madonion.com
LOL

After one of the more recent patches I had to re-add STO to the Windows firewall exceptions.

It's probably best to tackle these issues one at a time. I suppose it's possible your Windows install is messed up and is causing both problems but that is a whole other can of worms.

Also, 46/47 is high for idle temp. Ideally you want to be in the 30's at idle, low 40's at most. I'm running a core2duo E6750 with the stock heatsink and fan and I idle at 32-34C .
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Quote:
LOL

After one of the more recent patches I had to re-add STO to the Windows firewall exceptions.

It's probably best to tackle these issues one at a time. I suppose it's possible your Windows install is messed up and is causing both problems but that is a whole other can of worms.

Also, 46/47 is high for idle temp. Ideally you want to be in the 30's at idle, low 40's at most. I'm running a core2duo E6750 with the stock heatsink and fan and I idle at 32-34C .
it is a bit high for idle, but after doing those extensive 3d benchmark tests, it remained constant at 46/47 for the cpu and 41 for the gpu. generally low for heavy load temps, no?

EDIT/UPDATE: it seems the nvidia monitoring software wasnt auto updating for some reason, right now, after the tests, they arent 41,46/47 C, the GPU is at 45 C and the CPU is at 51C
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Quote:
UPDATE: after running the extensive 3 mark test from future mark, i was able to run ALL 4 extensive test fully, and the temps for my cpu and gpu remained consistent. the gpu, was at 41 C and the cpu at 46 C. my old card (the one i sent in for this new replacement) couldnt even make it through the 1st test without shutting down. but whats odd is that my pc still was shutting down earlier, even with this new card, while doing barely nothing, while now after 4 extensive tests, it didnt shutdown. odd...
The idle temp and load temp are both 46c ? That is pretty odd.

You mentioned you opened the case at some point, was that before or after it crashed?

Did you happen to notice what the CPU utilization was at the time?

I would run through Prime95 which I mentioned earlier and watch utilization and temps before and during it running.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Quote:
The idle temp and load temp are both 46c ? That is pretty odd.

You mentioned you opened the case at some point, was that before or after it crashed?

Did you happen to notice what the CPU utilization was at the time?

I would run through Prime95 which I mentioned earlier and watch utilization and temps before and during it running.
at the time the 1st crash occurred the case was closed, after that i opened it up, it remained open for the further crashes.