Lt. Commander
# 21
09-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkikij View Post
it is a bit high for idle, but after doing those extensive 3d benchmark tests, it remained constant at 46/47 for the cpu and 41 for the gpu. generally low for heavy load temps, no?

EDIT/UPDATE: it seems the nvidia monitoring software wasnt auto updating for some reason, right now, after the tests, they arent 41,46/47 C, the GPU is at 45 C and the CPU is at 51C
Yeah I would consider it high for idle but low for load.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvord View Post
Yeah I would consider it high for idle but low for load.
it seems, while running prime95, that it still isnt getting nearly as hot as it was earlier when it was shutting down (and earlier it was shutting down just sitting on the sto account load screen! lol). i hate to be an optimist, but is it even possible that it could fix itself, in a matter of speaking. that when it was shutting down earlier, it was, for lack of a better word, a hiccup? ive had it on straight for almost 2 hrs, and it seems like it hasnt had a decrease in performance or an increase in general heat. perhaps some time with the cool night breeze blowing on it was enough?
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-18-2010, 08:37 PM
I have a somewhat similar system so just for comparison -

intel core2duo E6750 - Core 0 idles at 32C and core 1 idles at 34C
running Prime95 - both cores running at 100% = 67C

Geforce GTX260 - Idles at 45C - I have been playing STO and a lot of starcraft2 lately and it's usually at about 70C when I exit.

I do have one extra large fan blowing out the back so it's hard to say we are comparing apples to apples but just for the sake of comparison that's what I am seeing usually. The load thresholds should be similar.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Quote:
I have a somewhat similar system so just for comparison -

intel core2duo E6750 - Core 0 idles at 32C and core 1 idles at 34C
running Prime95 - both cores running at 100% = 67C

Geforce GTX260 - Idles at 45C - I have been playing STO and a lot of starcraft2 lately and it's usually at about 70C when I exit.

I do have one extra large fan blowing out the back so it's hard to say we are comparing apples to apples but just for the sake of comparison that's what I am seeing usually. The load thresholds should be similar.
well by the looks of it, my gpu right now is at 42 C, but after updating my system monitor, my cpu temp is 60/61 C and is very hot to the touch. perhaps it was never a gpu prob, but a cpu overheating prob, that may be linked to the proximity of the cpu to the gpu. perhaps the size of the gpu is not letting a lot of colder air get to the cpu? if thats the case, what could i do to solve this problem?
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Quote:
it seems, while running prime95, that it still isnt getting nearly as hot as it was earlier when it was shutting down (and earlier it was shutting down just sitting on the sto account load screen! lol). i hate to be an optimist, but is it even possible that it could fix itself, in a matter of speaking. that when it was shutting down earlier, it was, for lack of a better word, a hiccup? ive had it on straight for almost 2 hrs, and it seems like it hasnt had a decrease in performance or an increase in general heat. perhaps some time with the cool night breeze blowing on it was enough?
I have built and fixed many computers and whenever I get a system that is shutting down randomly I investigate the dust situation with some compressed air before I go crazy. It could be many things but I like to start with the easy stuff first. More often then not a good cleaning will fix the problem. running with the case open is another quick test and it seems like after you opened it up, it most likely cooled down a little you were fine so I would say you are on the right track.

The next thing to troubleshoot in my opinion would be the power supply. I remember you mentioned you recently upgraded the power supply but these newer cards are pretty power hungry. Going with a name brand vs a generic can really make a difference. The cheaper supplies can fluctuate under load and that can also cause the problems you are experiencing. Troubleshooting the power supply is harder though because you either need a multimeter or a known good power supply to troubleshoot with and it's time consuming (depending on your case setup) and expensive to swap out power supplies.

Since it's working fine I would leave it alone until you have a problem again but you are on the right track if it should happen again.
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Quote:
well by the looks of it, my gpu right now is at 42 C, but after updating my system monitor, my cpu temp is 60/61 C and is very hot to the touch. perhaps it was never a gpu prob, but a cpu overheating prob, that may be linked to the proximity of the cpu to the gpu. perhaps the size of the gpu is not letting a lot of colder air get to the cpu? if thats the case, what could i do to solve this problem?
Yeah that has been my feeling all along. The GPU is either blocking airflow or increasing the temp inside the case enough to overheat the CPU.

As for fixing it - It sounds like the CPU idles hot to me - this could be caused by the fan or heatsink not being installed properly - it's possible you hit it when you were installing the GPU or maybe it shifted somehow. You would need to remove the fan and heatsink, reapply thermal paste and re-seat everything. This can be difficult depending on what type of heatsink/fan you have and you can easily do permanent damage to the CPU if it is not done right. There are plenty of sites with info on how to do this but consider it's very easy to damage the CPU before you jump in to this.

It may also be possible that your cooling solution is simply not good enough to support that combo of hardware and you would need to possibly upgrade the CPU fan/heatsink, you could add more fans elsewhere possibly but it's all depending on your case setup so I really cant give you specific suggestions.

You may have settings in your BIOS to control fan speed. You might try running the fans at full speed to see how that works.

If it works you may just consider leaving the case off
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
I have built and fixed many computers and whenever I get a system that is shutting down randomly I investigate the dust situation with some compressed air before I go crazy. It could be many things but I like to start with the easy stuff first. More often then not a good cleaning will fix the problem. running with the case open is another quick test and it seems like after you opened it up, it most likely cooled down a little you were fine so I would say you are on the right track.

The next thing to troubleshoot in my opinion would be the power supply. I remember you mentioned you recently upgraded the power supply but these newer cards are pretty power hungry. Going with a name brand vs a generic can really make a difference. The cheaper supplies can fluctuate under load and that can also cause the problems you are experiencing. Troubleshooting the power supply is harder though because you either need a multimeter or a known good power supply to troubleshoot with and it's time consuming (depending on your case setup) and expensive to swap out power supplies.

Since it's working fine I would leave it alone until you have a problem again but you are on the right track if it should happen again.
thanks for all your help. you have been very helpful tonight. it seems that it will run fine for now. the next step is to see if i can get sto to load again... should i need your help with further problems, would u mind that i PM u?
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Quote:
thanks for all you help. you have been very helpful tonight. it seems that it will run fine for now. the next step is to see if i can get sto to load again... should i need your help with further problems, would u mind that i PM u?
My pleasure - any time
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I am having the same issue. I discovered through all of this that one of my fans had stopped working, but now I play STO with my case open all of the time and the secondary fan is usually working just fine when I get these random shutdowns. I've run programs that were much more demanding on my system than STO and I haven't had this issue with STO until the past month. I already dusted the machine, and although I am still looking for a CPU temperature gadget, I can feel the difference with the case opened, and the machine is running MUCH cooler now. Usually this error happens when Ventrilo is open in the background, but since I always run STO with Ventrilo in the background, it may not necessarily have anything to do with Vent. I've had this machine for about two years now, and this is the first time I have ever had this issue with any game or program. I don't get any sort of error, everything just freezes and the sound starts to skip for a few seconds, and the machine shuts down.

I'm using 64-bit Vista. I can post the rest of my specs in a bit. It doesn't happen as often since I play with the case open, but why is it that all of a sudden in the past few weeks STO is heating my CPU up to the point of random shutdowns in the past few weeks? I've been playing this game since open beta and this problem is only a few weeks old. I don't even play with high graphical settings.
Lt. Commander
# 30 same issue
10-27-2010, 08:30 PM
all of a sudden my really nice quadcore machine, which has been playing sto flawlessly for months - and LOTRO for more than a year - is randomly shutting down while playing sto (i havent checked it with lotro yet but its on my list). its a vista 64bit system, i updated my graphics driver (ATI4800 series), i use rivatuner to set my card's fan to 75%, my case is open and it still shuts down randomly, and its only a recent problem. very frustrating debugging this type of voodoo.
=s