Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
...but I'd want it to be at least somewhat accurate, lore wise. I can't imagine what kind of weapons, shields and engines this sucker would have, but since its from the future I imagine they'd be pretty significant.

Anyway, I had never heard of it before and then when I saw it I thought it was hideous, but it started to make sense when I learned how big it was. Now I'm really liking the design. I'd love to have one.
Lt. Commander
# 2 On hold
09-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Last I head it was on hold.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
Last I head it was on hold.
Indefinitely. It's been canned by CBS. They said "no". Nor do I blame them.

However, I believe Dan mentioned that there was plans to make a ship that resembles it...sort of a natural progression to what it would eventually end up being.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-10-2010, 07:35 PM
What was their reason for saying no?
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Twilight
What was their reason for saying no?
The main reasons from what I understand has to do with the fact that Enterprise J is supposed to decades beyond where STO's timeline is based in, not to mention The J's size alone (Reportedly two miles in length or width) is something that seems out of place. And also, at some point CBS wants to make a boat load of cash on the J :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredCasden
The main reasons from what I understand has to do with the fact that Enterprise J is supposed to decades beyond where STO's timeline is based in, not to mention The J's size alone (Reportedly two miles in length or width) is something that seems out of place. And also, at some point CBS wants to make a boat load of cash on the J :p
You forgot to add that the J is 'Fugly' and would probably devalue the game with its existence
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-11-2010, 11:20 AM
CBS wanting to make $$ makes sense... timeline I'm not so concerned about in a universe where people go back in time to pick up their Starbucks. Plus I don't think Cryptic would be too worried about that kind of thing; the hot new ship that I see everywhere is the Excelsior; that design is, what, over a hundred years old now?
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-12-2010, 02:08 AM
CBS is not George Lucas, it's not surprising CBS actually gives something of a damn about the consistency of Trek canon, unlike Lucas who will authorize pretty much anything and everything under the sun that'll make him money.

And there's no point in criticizing the Excelsior because the B'rel has been around far longer than it and the Klingons still use it as a front-line warship.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrionCelendil View Post
And there's no point in criticizing the Excelsior because the B'rel has been around far longer than it and the Klingons still use it as a front-line warship.
Who says I'm criticizing it? I like the Excelsior. I like almost all the ships. I'm a total ship geek. But if you can come up with an explanation why a 100 year old ship is used in the modern era then you can come up with an equally valid explanation for a ship from the future. Like time travel.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Twilight
But if you can come up with an explanation why a 100 year old ship is used in the modern era then you can come up with an equally valid explanation for a ship from the future. Like time travel.
IRL the F-14 was in use for almost 40 years. The airplanes were kept up to date by outfitting them with the latest in electronics and weapons.

Construction on the U.S.S. Missouri (BB-63) was completed and it was commissioned in June of 1944. It was last used in actual combat in 1991, almost 50 years later.

Refitting surviving models of the Excelsior class with modern engines, electronics, shields and weapons is faster and less expensive than building entire new ships from scratch. So why wouldn't you do that during a time of war?

Now explain why you would bring the Enterprise J, in direct violation of the Temporal Prime Directive, back in time in huge numbers, to fight in a war that's already over and that the Federation won. Why would you do that? You know how I know that the Federation won? Because if it hadn't won then the Enterprise J would never have been built.

Having the Enterprise J exist in large numbers, which it would if put up on the C-Store, would be both stupid and a violation of canon. Perhaps people in CBS and Cryptic actually care at least a little bit about canon?