Lt. Commander
Everyone knows that RSP is a touchy subject. It's hard to make any suggestion to change RSP without upsetting at least half the PvP population because so many players *live* and *breathe* the skill.

There are many situations where RSP is useful and viable. It's no doubt the perfect "oh crap" button. I agree with its use for this purpose, however RSP has become more than an "oh crap" button. It's too often used as a tanking (and frequently offensive-based) ability - which brings me to suggestions for changes.

For the sake of this thread I'm going to boil it down to the two simplest suggestions I can think of to change it without upsetting too many people. Only one of these two changes would be needed. I wouldn't expect both because a strong nerf would be too much of a change for people whose main style of play is centered around RSP.

I believe either of these would shift RSP from a tanking/offensive ability back to an "oh crap" skill:

1) Make it so stacking two would be possible but highly inefficient. This has been applied to other skills like Charged Particle Burst, Scramble Sensors, and Photonic Shockwave. These skills are currently in the state where it's possible to stack two of them but not continually cycle them. It keeps it so you can use two in fairly quick succession...but after using two, their combined global cooldown is ultimately longer than just continuously spamming one of them. Basically a form of diminishing returns via the global cooldown if you want to have more than one copy.

2) Shorten the duration (slightly). Make it so it saves your butt from an alpha strike or focus fire...but not so you can continually pound on your enemies while you're invulnerable for 15 seconds (which is a long time in PvP). This would emphasize it as a defensive/escape skill rather than a "run into a group of three or four people by yourself and tank them" skill... when common sense would say you should be vaporized in just a couple seconds from the sheer odds against you. Even if the cooldown were shortened to compensate for the shorter duration, I think it could still shift it away from being an offensive skill.

3) Honorable mentions based on posts in this thread:

- Give a noticeable difference to various ranks of RSP rather than level 1 being just as effective as level 3.
- A debuff after/during RSP use. This could be done several ways (such as increased bleedthrough).
- Make it like Ablative Armor where you can't fire energy weapons but you can still use all your skills.
- Tie RSP to shield power, or make it alter other power levels (like Aux to Battery). Preferably a drain on weapon power (rather than a complete shutdown like Ablative Armor).
- Make it like Ramming Speed with a <50% hull requirement (I personally don't agree with this because RSP is used to deter an insta-pop alpha or focus fire - and you're more often instantly dead than hovering below 50%).

If I understand correctly, the general consensus is to either make it so you can't stack RSP, or give incentive to use higher ranks rather than just the Lieutenant version.

There are several other fine suggestions to change RSP, but I think either one of these two simple changes could be implemented without disrupting the niche that RSP has so endearingly carved.

A thread of this nature is a magnet for flames. Keep the flames directed toward me rather than other people in the thread trying to add their input.

P.S. I'm aware of SNB and its relationship with RSP. Don't even play that card.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-19-2010, 04:23 PM
here we go again...

Could this not go in one of the other multitude of RSP threads? Some aren't even that old..
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
here we go again...

Could this not go in one of the other multitude of RSP threads? Some aren't even that old..
See all I do is mention RSP and people make a face...

The last RSP thread was three weeks ago (currently page five) and that was specifically referring to Excelsiors rather than the skill in general. I want to start a different discussion with this.

And no. This is my thread. I made it to solidify simple ideas rather than complain about it then propose sweeping gameplay changes. Deal with it noobcakes.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-19-2010, 04:32 PM
noobcake..thanks pal.

You know how in so many star trek episodes an engineer (geordie) would suggest that they could do some special thing <insert treknobabble here> and he would warn that there was a chance it wouldn't work, well:

I would like RSP to have another proc attached to the skill. But this one would be a BAD proc. Say a 10% chance that it would blow out your shields for 5 seconds and RSP wouldn't activate. An uncertainty that would make people think twice about using the ability, without totally nerfing it.

/EDIT, fyi the last RSP thread was created last week..
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-19-2010, 04:32 PM
The RSP wont be changed unless whole system is changed. No matter how people feel about it. Some people swear by it and have 2 ranks, like Ninjaboy, some people do not use it at all, like me, but majority of players have at least one version.

As much as i would like the skill to just go away, its not possible in current dps vs healing system. Focus fire is too strong.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-19-2010, 04:33 PM
That was another good idea that I heard. Something like a debuff after it drops. I like that one but its a bit more complicated and I'm trying to keep this bare bones.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
The RSP wont be changed unless whole system is changed.
That's why I'm mentioning these two ideas. They wouldn't change the whole system or how the skill works. It would just take off the training wheels.

I guess I should quote my OP for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYak
There are several other fine suggestions to change RSP, but I think either one of these two simple changes could be implemented without disrupting the niche that RSP has so endearingly carved.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
fyi the last RSP thread was created last week..
RSP has been mentioned in several threads, but I don't see a specific RSP thread past August 31 (in the PvP forums).
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYak
RSP has been mentioned in several threads, but I don't see a specific RSP thread past August 31.
You are not alone.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=177746
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheras View Post
The idea behind this was obviously the fact that it should be used only as last resort and not as an offensive tactic.I wonder isnt Reverse Shield Polarity
serving the SAME purpose,a defensive counter as LAST RESORT ?? Then why is it that Cruisers still chain it ,and use it extensively sometimes right at the start of engagement? Why hasnt RSP a < 50% hull requirement? Now you get all those "invincible" Cruisers bragging about how much skill they have and how well they ve made their build when deep down all there is are RSP s again and again ..and again
^This

I also like the < 50% hull requirement idea. Fantastic. Maybe I'll add it to the original post

As for the bragging cruisers...the "lol it took three of you to kill me" is always classic because they neglect to mention that the second their RSP went down they were vaporized.