Lt. Commander
# 11
09-19-2010, 06:50 PM
STO is extremely casual-friendly. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's tailored toward casual players. From a PVE standpoint.

PVP, on the other hand, is not casual-friendly -- in this or any game, really. You're always going to encounter those... "dedicated" players who are so immersed in it that nothing you can do, nothing you can buy, will save your sorry behind.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-19-2010, 07:06 PM
I disagree also. Star Trek Online is one of the most casual games I have played. It is possible to solo almost all of the content. Beyond that, you always have a team waiting to help you out when you sign on i.e. your bridge officers! I <3 STO.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-19-2010, 07:20 PM
I am a very casual player. I mostly do PvE and enjoy that immensly. I do play some PvP from time to time, I do mostly lose, but I do sometimes win, and I am never out and out dominated. A lot has to do with the teams, I prefer team PvP, and as long as I am not team targeted by the opposing side I usually do pretty well, only losing a little more than half the time. I usually play Fed, and I usually start out pretty strong, but when the Klinks have a good team, that doesn't usually last to long, and the Klinks usually have pretty good teams.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-19-2010, 07:26 PM
I assume you're talking about PvP. Which if you're getting blasted very easily why not talk to whomever you're fighting against and ask them what they think you're doing wrong or tips on your build.

Give me a shout if you like, i'll happily give you a few pointers
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmillas
No room in this game for casual players. Only for the hard core ones that play every day.Why play the game if all your going to get is killed over and over. I can not compete I have a life beyond the game like most. Unless your one of the people who live in the game its not fun to get blown up over and over.
If it looks like a troll and talks like a troll

On the off chance that this is a post that needs a real answer, you can't expect to do well in PVP if you don't know how to gear up for it or how it's done.

This mmo was built for Casual players and I think it's great for casual play. PVP players are in the minority in this mmo and PVP is the only reason that they sign in to play for the most part.

If your a Casual player that want's to do well in PVP, the 1st thing you need to do is realize that you're not in there shooting at NPCs that only use 2 skills, those guys will rip you apart.

You can't come here and cry about being beat in PVP because other players are better at it than you are.

If the the above statement is not true let me know because I've got a lot of crying to catch up on
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkameron View Post
I assume you're talking about PvP. Which if you're getting blasted very easily why not talk to whomever you're fighting against and ask them what they think you're doing wrong or tips on your build.

Give me a shout if you like, i'll happily give you a few pointers
I agree the build is vitally important, and it is difficult to figure that out. Everytime I get a new ship it takes me a little bit to get it straigtened out. And its more than just looking at the numbers, because there is turn rates and play style that factor in so massively, you still have to experiment a little. Of course outfitting your entire vessel in rare(blue) or better is almost always a good thing.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Quote:
No room in this game for casual players. Only for the hard core ones that play every day.Why play the game if all your going to get is killed over and over. I can not compete I have a life beyond the game like most. Unless your one of the people who live in the game its not fun to get blown up over and over.
I take STO as one of the more casual games out there. Where else can you solo about everything in game (not counting STF's and PvP matches)? If you are getting blown up over and over, you are doing something wrong. Playing on a harder difficulty setting? Attempting to do missions way above your level?

Baseline, step back a second and see what you are doing. It isn't rocket science...lol.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Quote:
ROFL

I've have never played a more Casual Friendly MMO in all my years. Even WoW (Wrath of the Lich King, post mega raid nerfs 2009) is more difficult than this game. And that's not saying much because I could teach a chicken to play WoW and get raid geared.

Might I suggest some Pong for you. It might be right up your alley.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-19-2010, 07:36 PM
I will concede one point. While STO is easy to play, it can be difficult to master.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-19-2010, 07:37 PM
STO is the definition of a casual game. Optional death penalty. Steady, inevitable level progression. You can play for as little time as you want, never having to wait to build a team because the game GIVES you one in the form of Bridge Officers. Play solo or with a friend or five and you're always guaranteed a full team. Try that in WoW.