Lt. Commander
# 21
09-24-2010, 11:47 PM
I love to see another faction brought into the mix... But before they do it they have to fix the pvp system, maps..
as well think they need to re-think the pot luck weapons systems... think the weapon types should be faction based..
Example Fed's phaser based , Klingon Disruptor based.. and build from there range, damage, fire rate, cool down.
Example.... Klingon disruptor cannon used on TNG Vor'cha class that worf fired at a bird of Prey ship and killed it with one shot when its shields were down...
have it like the cobalt torp damage, and cool down but the speed of a photon torp, and can't be shot down.
Or a phaser beam like the alt enterprise 1 min cool down fires one beam up to three based on beam overload skills. damage 50 % shield first shot then 50% second shot and third puts it into the hull unless you use shield abilities..
Or even borg shield torp's that take down all shields for 10 to 15 sec but do no damage to hull...
but this pot luck system now I think is kind of dumb.. fed's using disruptors, Klingon using phasers. antiprotons ect..
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakma View Post
It seems some of you have very short memories, its only been a few short weeks since things seem to have quieted down a little bit in these fourms because of the fact that the second faction (a pvp centric faction) in STO felt neglected right or wrong and carried on as they did in what I would call a very uncivilized manner.
I am not one of the whiners complaing about a lack of PvE material for the Klingons. I feel they have everything they need to be qualified as a full fledged Faction. I just think they could add more ship designs and player races. As for the people whining and complaining, well.....you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please some of the people all of the time, but you can't please everyone all of the time.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-25-2010, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
I am not one of the whiners complaing about a lack of PvE material for the Klingons. I feel they have everything they need to be qualified as a full fledged Faction. I just think they could add more ship designs and player races. As for the people whining and complaining, well.....you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please some of the people all of the time, but you can't please everyone all of the time.
So just because Cryptic can't please everybody, they should release a skeleton faction in such a state that's just guaranteed to tick off anyone who cares?

To put this in perspective for those who play primarily Fed, the Klingon faction model is basically this: Take the Fed faction, remove all but 2 Fed-specific storyline missions per rank, and replace costumes, settings, and ships with a noticeably smaller collection of faction-specific stuff.

Now, do you still feel that this is a valid model for all future faction development?
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
You may not have been one of them, they certainly know who they are and in doing what they did, I would call them a detrement to the game. Why would I say something like that ? Simply because they never had anything positive to say and lacked any civility or understanding right or wrong. It was the same thing repeated over and over again, like players and the devs did not understand it the first time it was presented.

If I was a person even slightly interested in this game and read those threads I would not have considered buying/playing this game based on their posts. Some were downright hateful towards other players as well as the developers, thats not good for any game. Constructive criticism is a good thing if done in the proper manner.

Besides there are still too many issues with basic gameplay to even think about another faction at this time. PVP is still problematic. Just yesterday, myself and 4 fleetmates teamed up to play some capture and hold. Four ended up being on one side and one on the other, yet there where others in the group not even on our team on the same side. If we wanted to play against each other we would have simply qued as seperates so pvp is not fixed. I mean it works for a while then they patch it and its borked again.

There needs to be more PVP content then the same old maps we have played since the game hit the market before you could even consider adding anymore factions. If you are gonna make a faction PVP centric then you need to have more PVP maps than is currently available and different types of game modes for it to even become feasible.

Hey i would love to see more factions but now is not the time, when will the time be right ? When they develop what I stated above and have pvp working flawlessly, then and only then should they add other factions, until then it a accident waiting to happen.....
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-25-2010, 10:10 AM
What we need are open pvp zones. Then we can have new factions for diversity, with maybe clusters, defence missions and pvp; some stfs and fleet actions - but no episode content. As stated above it wouldnt be hard to do so as many models and stuff are already in-game, it would make pvp and rp much more interesting and if stated clearly before launching them, no one could complain.

And concentrate on developing fed further and game mechanics. (maybe some for klings.)

Yes, I play fed most. But yes, I do have a klingon char and enjoy playing her from time to time. but, as klings should be in my op, only as a sidekick.
And yes, I would totally be happy to play an romulan as well - even without episodes - if its not only pvp but as least clusters, since im not into pvp. but maybe if the boarding feature comes it could get interesting again.

So many possibilities with so few work... Its not always about episodes or quest content.
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Cryptic is working on some open zones for PvP. They have also recently stated they're hoping to have the Romulan Faction out within a year.
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_johnson View Post
And yes, I would totally be happy to play an romulan as well - even without episodes - if its not only pvp but as least clusters, since im not into pvp. but maybe if the boarding feature comes it could get interesting again.
This is the essence of the problem - an awful lot of MMO players avoid PvP. Releasing even just a skeleton faction that's as PvP-centric as the KDF won't attract enough people to justify making it at all. Even "open world" PvP or territorial PvP won't make the experience more palatable, except for those people who already PvP.

As for the non-PvP gameplay, let me ask you this - if the Federation only offered Fleet Actions, DSEs, and clusters, would you bother to play? Would enough people play over the long term to keep the Federation afloat? If not, how and why would a new "skeleton" faction justify the development time?

Quote:
So many possibilities with so few work...
It's a lot of work. Even just reskinning PvE or writing faction-specific monologues takes a non-trivial amount of time. Nevermind customization options, whole new lines of ships, introductory "orientation" missions, etc. Cryptic's struggling now just to fill in the gaps for both Starfleet and the KDF - do you really think it's smart to essentially give them a whole slew of new gaps to fill?
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Interesting points being made, any other thoughts out there? Do you agree, disagree with what has been said?

Thanks for everyone that has posted, I hope to more from the community.
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolikos
This is the essence of the problem - an awful lot of MMO players avoid PvP. Releasing even just a skeleton faction that's as PvP-centric as the KDF won't attract enough people to justify making it at all. Even "open world" PvP or territorial PvP won't make the experience more palatable, except for those people who already PvP.
This actually hits very close to the problem with a pvp-centric faction over having a pve/pvp based faction. As a 90% pvp based faction the average KDF player has little to no reason for an open, widespread use of thier skill points. In order to compete in one of the two pvp arena's of space or ground, a KDF player must make a choice on how they will spend thier SP to best benefit thier abilty to compete in pvp arena formats given. To try to spend points in both ground and space is purposely lowering thier chances of being able to compete in iether to full effectiveness.
If the KDF had more options for PvE content , more ships, items and a storyline based level of play that drew them into the KDF history, then more KDF players would spend thier SP like almost every fed player does -in a method that covers both ground and space skills.
Since this is not neccassary for pvp centric faction play and such pve content is not prevelant enough to warrant ground skills on KDF characters, said KDF who don't go the route of ground pvp tend to suffer at open ground based missions like the Cold Call series. This adherence to pvpcentric design for the non-fedbased factions leads to a quick but lackluster style of play that quickly becomes boring to those players who are not fans of said faction and leads to a self-destructive desire to play.
Pvp-centric factions are self defeating in the end and slowly drive away the very players they wish to draw in over time as the options of play quickly dwindle to ground or space pvp.
PvE is the life blood of any faction, pvp is the quick but exciting diversion.
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolikos
So just because Cryptic can't please everybody, they should release a skeleton faction in such a state that's just guaranteed to tick off anyone who cares?

To put this in perspective for those who play primarily Fed, the Klingon faction model is basically this: Take the Fed faction, remove all but 2 Fed-specific storyline missions per rank, and replace costumes, settings, and ships with a noticeably smaller collection of faction-specific stuff.

Now, do you still feel that this is a valid model for all future faction development?
It is viable. Remeber: Klingon Faction is PvP oriented. I think you acutally made my point for me.