Lt. Commander
# 31
09-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankah View Post
So much for a purchase supports the game. Although I'd be surprised if people who buy it stick around,, but that's prolly the point of reducing the price of it less then a month of release, then continuing down. Lol

It would prolly help if the game didn't bore people in that free month, everybody i knew that played quit because of that, well except me, but I'm a lifer, I'm stuck with it
Everything really IS greener on your side of the fence isn't it?

Thats ok, it takes lots of coffee to bring me to normal.
Lt. Commander
# 32 yes
09-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
Does anyone know how the friend referral program works?

In other words, is this a nice, cheap way to get yourself the photonic BO?
yes refer your wife/friend/dog.....
setup the account.
buy STO.
register it under the referral account
pay 1 additional month (just buying it is not enough)

you get the refferal bonus
Lt. Commander
# 33
09-21-2010, 05:25 AM
..And real thorn is the fact that for this "sale" the top 3 Customer Reviews basically say "game sucks...buy at own risk". With a dirt low price point and customers crying "this is crap!", thier wonderful "news" about selling the game for less then the cost of a month's subscription only tends to help direct potential customers toward a place they can find tons of reasons *not* to buy it.

Other folks may see the "truth" of this "sale" and say "its normal". But I just hope the thousands who see "bargin bin" prices topped off with horrible customer reviews will still be willing to spend time and any money on trying out STO. No in the mind of the average consumer this just looks like a downward trend, and not a good promotion at all. Once more marketing does more harm then good.
Lt. Commander
# 34
09-21-2010, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordun
..And real thorn is the fact that for this "sale" the top 3 Customer Reviews basically say "game sucks...buy at own risk". With a dirt low price point and customers crying "this is crap!", thier wonderful "news" about selling the game for less then the cost of a month's subscription only tends to help direct potential customers toward a place they can find tons of reasons *not* to buy it.

Other folks may see the "truth" of this "sale" and say "its normal". But I just hope the thousands who see "bargin bin" prices topped off with horrible customer reviews will still be willing to spend time and any money on trying out STO. No in the mind of the average consumer this just looks like a downward trend, and not a good promotion at all. Once more marketing does more harm then good.
So when the "sale" is "over" and the "price" goes back up to "$20", will that "make" you feel "better"?
Lt. Commander
# 35
09-21-2010, 06:32 AM
Why not just mail free STO Trial Disks to people with PC's? You could compete with AOL in the CD-as-coasters market

Seriously Cryptic, dropping your price point this far just looks desperate and shows signs of heading F2P...are your sub numbers so low that EVERYTHING IS ON SALE?
Lt. Commander
# 36
09-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordun

The "truth" of this "sale" is that Amazon wants to sell it "cheap". Is that enough "quotes" for ya? I don't know about you, but I don't go by reviews...professional or customer. Even magazine reviews can tend to be on the biased side at times. If it is a game that piques my interest then I'll buy it...I'll probably wait until it goes on sale, too (unless it's a game that I really was looking forward to and am willing and able to shell out full price for). Let me use Steam as an example. Some games that I wouldn't buy at full price but am interested in trying out go on sale for like 25-75% off...I'll buy them then because the price seems right to me.

TLDR: The price drop does not signify doom. Some people might be more interested in playing if it's cheaper.
Lt. Commander
# 37
09-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFabulous
Ridiculous. Games most certainly do drop in price that fast, especially MMOs where the sale of the retail copy isn't much of a money-maker post-launch. As for what it says about the game? It says "hey, we're running a promotion, grab the game with 30 days of play time for less than the cost of a single month". Most will see that and say "hmmm, that's a good deal, maybe I'll give it a try". You glass-half-empty types that are constantly ranting DOOOOOMMM will obviously see this as foreshadowing that the game is ready to go belly up any day now. Which it's not. But why believe anything you're told, it's so much more productive to jump to irrational conclusions.

So if Cryptic doesn't do things to lure in new subs then people complain they aren't trying hard enough, and when they do you complain about how it's going to look and proclaim DOOOOOOMMM.

Seriously, there's absolutely no pleasing any of you. These never ending posts of incessant whining are so damned retarded. If you're so unhappy with the game, leave already and give the rest of us some peace and quiet.

This.

So its on sale. I have several people I know that would buy it now because of it. Money is TIGHT right now for people. I mean people are spending less money on entertainment, and whatnot because they need to, you know, buy food and gas. the important things. Amazon's sales are great for the consumer, and do not mean death. not a for example persay, but They recently had a Sale on two different Guild Wars Games, Eye of the north, AND the Guild wars Factions collectors edition. the CE, was down to $30.00 from $80.00, and eye of the north was down from $49.99 to 10.99. I saw it as an opportunity to add these two things to my Guild Wars collection.

Tl;DR, Sales happen, its ok if Amazon wants to have a sale, they are a retailer, they can do that. now then, who wants to go take on some Breen
Lt. Commander
# 38
09-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticFringer View Post
They did let multiple copies of the full game stack as far as free time goes back at launch. Guess they figured if you shelled out for "x" copies then you deserved the "bonus" days. Since they never said they were retracting that... I'd have to assume time still stacks.

It would be nice to know if you got the Borg BO for sure though... at that price I may even want to snag it for 30 days and an extra goody. But not so crazy about it just to get one month of cheaper sub.
But only if that stacked as well. I want the Borg to be on my existing account. Otherwise I'd wait until the BOFF exchange begins and trade with myself.
Lt. Commander
# 39
09-21-2010, 07:54 PM
It looks like the collectors edition is down to 10 bucks. Not bad considering the items in it cost more then that in the C-store.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Lt. Commander
# 40
09-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFabulous
So when the "sale" is "over" and the "price" goes back up to "$20", will that "make" you feel "better"?
This has nothing to do with how I "feel". It has to do with this being about the stupidest marketing ploy in years...causing more harm then good. I could care less if these guys keep thier jobs a year from now or not, but anyone who really thinks crowing about thier game getting dropped to Clearance prices is "wonderful news" is a complete moron.

Again, it doesn't matter what it really indicates, in sales, dipping prices below 10 bucks (or less then 50% its standard cost) and slapping a huge SALE sign on something almost always sends a message to consumers. That message is "discontinued", "unpopular", "not selling", and of course "junk". So you and I can "think" what we want, but as I said originally this is just plain negative publicity and I know there are plenty who just see this as a bad sign for the future of STO (shame since most of them are...er...were...potential costumers).

So don't worry about my feelings, I'll stay with STO to the end. But if these guys don't learn how to run a buisness soon, they won't even get beyond the vaporware portion of NWN. Let alone keep this property alive.