Lt. Commander
# 41
09-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordun
Again, it doesn't matter what it really indicates, in sales, dipping prices below 10 bucks (or less then 50% its standard cost) and slapping a huge SALE sign on something almost always sends a message to consumers. That message is "discontinued", "unpopular", "not selling", and of course "junk". So you and I can "think" what we want, but as I said originally this is just plain negative publicity and I know there are plenty who just see this as a bad sign for the future of STO (shame since most of them are...er...were...potential costumers).
It's just not true. You may think it is but it's not. All games get reduced in price. It happens in Steam every single day. It doesn't mean it's not popular or junk, it just means it's not new anymore. You guys need to stop taking every little thing and twisting it around to spell DOOOOOMMM.

Considering the game has a FREE trial... I mean, by your logic that should get your panties in a bunch and be the final nail in the coffin, right? OMG... they're letting people play the game for free! OMG the game is dying! OMG Next month it'll be F2P for sure!!! OMG the horror!!!

Anyone who is even remotely interested in playing the game will start with the free trial. If they like the game and want to actually buy it then they are much more likely to buy a copy at $10 than $20. This is just common sense. People seeking out the game after playing the trial aren't going to be like "Oooo, this game is on sale. Must not be doing very well." They're gonna be like "Oooo, I like this game and niiiice, it's on sale, I better grab it now before the price goes back up".
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdox View Post
It looks like the collectors edition is down to 10 bucks. Not bad considering the items in it cost more then that in the C-store.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
/sarcasm on
OH NOES!!! Not the collector's edition!!! You know what this means, right? THE GAME IS DOOOOOMMMMMEEEEDDDDD!!! Why else would they put the COLLECTOR'S EDITION on sale for soooo little??? They must know something we don't!!! The game is going under!!! This is the worst possible thing marketing could have done!!! Even they don't have faith in the game!!! It's gonna tell the whole world the game is shutting down, and now no one will want to play!!! Do they have any idea the horrible message this sends out??? What a world... What a world...
/sarcasm off

Figured I'd get all that out of the way for you guys in advance. Carry on.
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-21-2010, 08:36 PM
I hope this isn't against tos, but I'm posting a shameless plug for refer-a-friend invites.

PM me if you're interested in this game - i have a few trial keys for serious individuals, (and I'm trying to get the remaining accounts i need for a refer a friend bonus).

if you'd like to try the game, and are willing to buy the game if you like it, let me know - I'm willing to play alongside you to give you the following in-game bonuses:

# A 5% Captain and Officer skill point bonus when you’re teamed up (first 15 days).
# A 5% damage bonus when you’re teamed up (first 15 days).

I'm available on Sunday, Monday and Thursday - and will spend several hours at a time if necessary (vent chat possible).

if you're interested, please pm me!

thanks,
G.
Lt. Commander
# 44
09-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordun
This has nothing to do with how I "feel". It has to do with this being about the stupidest marketing ploy in years...causing more harm then good. I could care less if these guys keep thier jobs a year from now or not, but anyone who really thinks crowing about thier game getting dropped to Clearance prices is "wonderful news" is a complete moron.

Again, it doesn't matter what it really indicates, in sales, dipping prices below 10 bucks (or less then 50% its standard cost) and slapping a huge SALE sign on something almost always sends a message to consumers. That message is "discontinued", "unpopular", "not selling", and of course "junk". So you and I can "think" what we want, but as I said originally this is just plain negative publicity and I know there are plenty who just see this as a bad sign for the future of STO (shame since most of them are...er...were...potential costumers).

So don't worry about my feelings, I'll stay with STO to the end. But if these guys don't learn how to run a buisness soon, they won't even get beyond the vaporware portion of NWN. Let alone keep this property alive.
Tell that to the people at Steam. They have sales ALL THE TIME...twice a week (not to mention the occasional weekly special). So, by your logic any game on sale there is crap. I've bought over 100 games there, most of them were on sale. I have yet to regret any purchase (except for the id super-pack, but I've outgrown FPS's without a good story line). They just ended a week-long sale on Lucasarts games...last time I checked that company is not going under. Offering a sale is a GOOD thing. People who would normally say "eff this" would see a cheap way to try something out.

If this is the stupidest marketing ploy Cryptic's done, then I don't think you should look at the C-Store. It might cause your head to implode.
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
A better tactic would be to sell it for 29.99 but give two month free play time.I beat it is limited to what is in stock and no Free shipping.I can see getting 12$USD shipping fee.
Shipping was $4.98. Total cost: $14.97.. so its like getting the game free and paying for the 1st month playtime.
Lt. Commander
# 46 Sweet
09-23-2010, 09:22 AM
Good way to get some friends to join in on the fun!
Lt. Commander
# 47
09-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Last I checked Amazon is not owned by Cryptic. They can sell STO at $1 if they wanted. It makes good business sense for Cryptic to advertise Amazons sale to bring in more players.
Lt. Commander
# 48
09-24-2010, 01:35 PM
I got the CE for $10, and totally forgot that since it was from Amazon, a Borg BO came with it too! That's pretty neat, not gonna lie.
Lt. Commander
# 49
11-06-2010, 12:46 AM
The CE edition is 10 bucks again at Amazon. The copy I got last time it was on sale did come with a Borg BO. So if folks don't have that it makes the deal even better.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Onli...9028105&sr=8-1
Lt. Commander