Lt. Commander
# 1 Current PVP experience
09-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Just hit rear-admiral lower half and the pvp is awful.

Every match so far has been as follows.
1. Get ganked by cloaked Klingons.
2. Klingons move to spawn point.
3. Get ganked as you spawn.
4. Rinse and repeat.

Its as bad as wow.

Is the rest of the highers levels as useless as this?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Not like that for me...at least about 80% of the time. I tend to win most battles on my Fed toons.
Given when I play my KDF toons, I win about 95% or more.

This is speaking to just solo play with a random team, and not in an organized team.

Problem is most Fed players don't know how to PvP, won't learn or ask for help, and refuse to change their setup in order to succeed in PvP, as they are mostly PvE based players who merely PvP for the daily Emblems.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Is it the PVP that is awful, or just you? Forgive me, but you can't reasonably expect to get into something with people who have been playing for a long time and be surprised to find that they are better than you. It takes a lot of work.

The question here is, whether or not you are willing to put in the time and effort to excel at it or if you'd rather just go play something a little less challenging.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-21-2010, 11:52 AM
It is quite clear that PVP is unfair. The answer is simple:

Nerf the players.

People who think about their builds, and bother to spec their ship in a way that works and then apply simple tactics to PvP are clearly exploiting the game. It is hardly fair that a bad player can be beaten by a good player is it?

In fact, perhaps we should dispense with all player choice and simply offer one ship type and one weapon type and the chances of killing another player should be based on luck. That would fix all these problems.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Like Janko alluded to, the problem when doing KDF vs Fed is not that they are unbalanced compared to eachother. Federation players are just worse at PvP, for a number of reasons. One, Klingon gameplay is heavily reliant on PvP, so they generally have more practice at it. Also, Federation is heavily engineered for PvE, so a lot of players who are Federation prefer PvE to PvP. Further, they do not care enough about PvP to change and optimize their builds to succeed in PvP, instead using on what "they like". This would not be a problem except PvE Federation players have to PvP for the daily emblems. Further, Federation content, for the most part, requires no to little help or interaction with other players. Feds generally have a hard time working with eachother, especially a random group.

If you want to win over Klingons as a Fed, your best bet would be to join an organized team that knows what they are doing. You'll find this is both more fun and more effective in general anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
Is it the PVP that is awful, or just you? Forgive me, but you can't reasonably expect to get into something with people who have been playing for a long time and be surprised to find that they are better than you. It takes a lot of work.

The question here is, whether or not you are willing to put in the time and effort to excel at it or if you'd rather just go play something a little less challenging.
+1

Optimizing for PvP takes time, trial/error, and research.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Move away from the spawn point as soon as you enter the que.

As a KDF player I can tell you that is exactly what the Klingons are doing. Team-up and zipping straight away from the spawn point to find the feds.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Its the PVP. I've gone through 4 tiers of PVP with no real problems then all of a sudden its mass spawn camping and 15-0 losses every game. That doesnt take a lot of work as far as im concerned, thats an imbalance in the game.

Quote:
Move away from the spawn point as soon as you enter the que.
Doesnt work. They go to the spawn point and sit there claoked. Now, if you stay away from there then there is no fight and the whole things pointless, and if you do go there you are ganked and the cycle starts.

Quote:
If you want to win over Klingons as a Fed, your best bet would be to join an organized team that knows what they are doing. You'll find this is both more fun and more effective in general anyway.
I dont want to have to rely on that though. I want to join a queue and have a competative match. Premades are fine as long as they are against another premade but premade vs pugs isnt enjoyable for me. Either its not competative because you are winning to easy or because you cant do anything to prevent losing.

Quote:
People who think about their builds, and bother to spec their ship in a way that works and then apply simple tactics to PvP are clearly exploiting the game. It is hardly fair that a bad player can be beaten by a good player is it?
And theres always one cocky ****** around - yay you.

Quote:
Optimizing for PvP takes time, trial/error, and research
I agree, but please, anyone, list the spec for a ship to survive being jumped by 5 cloaked ships and then i'll admit that its only me thats at fault and not the game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
It is quite clear that PVP is unfair. The answer is simple:

Nerf the players.

In fact, perhaps we should dispense with all player choice and simply offer one ship type and one weapon type and the chances of killing another player should be based on luck. That would fix all these problems.
And we should only be able to turn left...um I mean to port.

To OP: Learn how to build your ship to fit your style of fighting and remember that no matter how good you get there will ALWAYS be some one better. Going boom isn't necessarily a bad thing is you learn something new from it.
Yeah the spawn point thing can be tricky but that also means that your enemy has to fly farther to get back in the fight if you can get the upper hand.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb74
I dont want to have to rely on that though. I want to join a queue and have a competative match. Premades are fine as long as they are against another premade but premade vs pugs isnt enjoyable for me. Either its not competative because you are winning to easy or because you cant do anything to prevent losing.

I agree, but please, anyone, list the spec for a ship to survive being jumped by 5 cloaked ships and then i'll admit that its only me thats at fault and not the game.
First of all, it sounds like the Klingons you ran into were a premade, not a Pug. In fact, most of the Klingons you'll find on the Queue you'll find are premades. So if nothing else, you are balancing it out. Besides, PvP in STO is a team game, not a solo one. If you don't want to go through the trouble to join a fleet or find a premade group, then its your prerogative but it is your choice. A choice that may lead to many defeats.

For the reasons I listed above, Federation pugs are Awful.