Lt. Commander
# 1 Am I the captain or not?
09-23-2010, 10:38 AM
More and more often, STO missions manage to knock the immersion right out of me because my bridge officers never give me the opportunity to make decisions about anything as their Captain. They take action without my approval. They come up with a plan and then fill me in on what we'll be doing rather than allowing me to have any input or make any decisions. They tell me everything from when we'll be raising shields and locking on weapons, to when we'll be breaking the Prime Directive. Oh, and I love when they figure out the entire mystery behind the mission and explain it to me in detail rather than allowing me to voice my thoughts on the matter. It's a good thing they're around or I'd never figure out anything. Maybe I should just make them Captain instead, since all I seem to do is follow their lead.

This has to do with how the mission dialogues are written and presented to the player. I know you have the tools to present us with some optional choices via dialogue prompts. I really wish you would make use of that more often - and I don't just mean at a critical plot point moment, but in the more "minor" decisions that happen on my ship.

Start getting creative with those dialogue prompts, even if it's just making the "press here for more dialogue" button say something like "Back us off, Ensign. Nice and slow.." instead of "Next". The next time I scan a mystery item on the planet's surface, I would like to be the one who says "I'm picking up traces of theta-band emissions surrounding this device. Lieutenant, what do you make of these readings?" before my science officer goes off on a three page description of her findings.

Please start making me feel like I'm a part of the "team" when it comes to these dialogues, and allowing my character to fully participate rather than getting stuck play the role of observer only.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-23-2010, 10:44 AM
I agree, that would be great.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-23-2010, 11:14 AM
/sign

Lt. Commander
# 4
09-23-2010, 11:25 AM
I also agree on this; some dialogs are just rediculas. "We are being hailed, would you like me to put it on screen" with the button being "Next" instead of "Yes, make it so." Depending on the mission, it would be nice once in a while to say no to answering hails, similar to what Picard did to the Sheliak in "The Ensigns of Command".
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-23-2010, 11:48 PM
We are all Captain Dunsel.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-24-2010, 12:55 AM
I think you're on to something there. I've only been playing for a couple of weeks now, and am already starting to feel tired of the monorail-like mission progression. I'd like to see some decision trees that impact the outcome of a mission, and help drive your own character's development arc.

I'm not saying this would be easy to implment, but it would be nice to have some choices. As captain, I should decide if I want to avoid conflict or not, and for each path to have its own reward/consequences. In an ideal world, these types of decisions could even impact what kind of missions are presented to a captain during episodes. If I follow the school of Kirk, then I would be offered more front-line kill'em or f**k'em missions. If I'm more of a Picard, then the missions may be more of a humanitarian nature. Maybe I'm an Archer and can't decide if I'm a bad **** or a nice guy.

This type of change would be subtle, and yet I think it would vastly enrich the player experience and promote replay and experimenting with different character types.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-24-2010, 01:50 AM
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=180163

That's all I have to say on the matter.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-24-2010, 02:25 AM
Yup, that's one of my pet peeves.

If by pet you mean a rabid bulldog that won't let go of my arm.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-24-2010, 07:22 AM
I would love to see more yes or no style answers instead of "next" responses. For instance:

BO: Captain we've established orbit around Planet X, our sensors are picking up a ship which is hailing us. Do we answer?

No response - Captain the hailing ship has ceased communication attempts and is charging weapons!

Yes response - <Insert diplomacy dialog here>

Look, with one extra option I just opened up what is usually a Confrontation mission into being either a Pew Pew mission or a Diplo mission of some sort, depending on what the player is in the mood for they can choose their response accordingly. It doesn't take a lot of thought, and it shouldn't take all that much work. When the UGC comes out I'm definately going to be making a few missions along these lines. Why Cryptic hasn't already I don't understand honestly.

One of the reasons I've been poking at threads wondering about whether players can get well done missions integrated into STO is that I've really been wanting to make some exploration missions. Content wise at least I don't think I'd do any worse than what is already there. Without the burden of due dates and the pressure of getting things done yesterday us players could actually spend some time on UGC explore missions to improve the quality.

~D
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashter
I would love to see more yes or no style answers instead of "next" responses. For instance:

BO: Captain we've established orbit around Planet X, our sensors are picking up a ship which is hailing us. Do we answer?

No response - Captain the hailing ship has ceased communication attempts and is charging weapons!

Yes response - <Insert diplomacy dialog here>

Look, with one extra option I just opened up what is usually a Confrontation mission into being either a Pew Pew mission or a Diplo mission of some sort, depending on what the player is in the mood for they can choose their response accordingly. It doesn't take a lot of thought, and it shouldn't take all that much work. When the UGC comes out I'm definately going to be making a few missions along these lines. Why Cryptic hasn't already I don't understand honestly.

One of the reasons I've been poking at threads wondering about whether players can get well done missions integrated into STO is that I've really been wanting to make some exploration missions. Content wise at least I don't think I'd do any worse than what is already there. Without the burden of due dates and the pressure of getting things done yesterday us players could actually spend some time on UGC explore missions to improve the quality.

~D
Yes, multiplied by infinity.

The sad fact is that I think it comes down to developer laziness. There are several examples where it's proven that this sort of mission is possible given the game engine design, so it really comes down to it just not being implemented enough.

Anyone who calls STO a MMORPG lacks a fundamental understanding of the "RPG" element.