Lt. Commander
# 1 Photon Cluster Torpedo?
09-28-2010, 05:41 AM
The Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo was a pretty neat reward, but it also got me thinking of some of the things sometimes seen in TNG.

More than once during the run of TNG, we see the Enterprise firing what could be best decribed as a Photon Cluster Torpedo.

We see a single launch event from its main torpedo launcher, followed by a torpedo that seems to split up in to several and then home in on one or several targets.

Heres a perfect and clear example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d734afLFPds#t=0m54s

Can we have this please?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-28-2010, 06:16 AM
Actually that's not a cluster torpedo its just that the enterprise -d can launch multiple torpedoes at once from the same launcher.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-28-2010, 07:03 AM
we have that its called torpedo spread, nice power too
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-28-2010, 07:43 AM
No we don't.
The torpedo spread is nothing like this, it fires several photon torpedoes in rapid succession that detonate in shockwave form rather than impacting on a target, and all torpedoes fire seperately.

And i am not so sure its just a normal torpedo spread.
The clip and time index is pretty clear, it is a singular launch event, and clearly shows the glow of a single torpedo/object, which then splits into several more projectiles.

For an actual torpedo spread event you may want to tune in at 0:39 and 1:43
At 0:39 its clearly a "spread" as the torpedoes are launched in groups but start divering almost the instant they leave the tubes.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-28-2010, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbrayman View Post
Actually that's not a cluster torpedo its just that the enterprise -d can launch multiple torpedoes at once from the same launcher.
Sure, but in a game where you can't even launch multiple torpedos from mutiple launchers simultaniously the 2 stage torpedo that travels a distance as a single torpedo and deploys a torpedo spread as it's second stage would be a reasonable way to recreate the overall effect.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-28-2010, 07:44 AM
I want a Quantum one... but I kinda think they made it Transmorphic for a reason (before this item came out, no one used them. xD)
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Well what im suggesting is a true torpedo, the Breen cluster transphasic torpedo launcher is just a nifty way to deploy a vast quantity of mines on target.