Lt. Commander
This is the first time I've tried to play STO on my laptop rather than my desktop PC.

I have a Toshiba laptop with a Mobility Radeon HD 3450 card, which I've updated using Mobility Modder as I usually do because Toshiba doesn't provide new graphics drivers for my laptop anymore. (None that I can find anyway, it's a P300 Satellite Pro) I know what I'm doing when it comes to updating my display drivers, but recently DxDiag has been displaying an old driver (the last official one that Toshiba gave out (I think)) as the one installed. But as far as I can tell, I've installed the new drivers from game.amd.com, mobility modded them, and they've worked dandy. It said 3 minutes ago in the ATI installation that my drivers were upto date and didn't need updating when I tried to do it again to be sure.

Anyway, I've had the STO installer download and ready the game, patching it completely.

When I click ENGAGE the game begins to load, turns the screen black for a moment and then shows me this:

http://img228.imageshack.us/i/failed...pecscheck.jpg/

If you click Lowered Settings you get this error:

http://img178.imageshack.us/i/loweredsettings.jpg/

If you click Default Settings you get these errors:

http://img245.imageshack.us/i/defaultsettings.jpg/

So just reiterate what I said earlier, when I go into DxDiag, it does show my display driver as being version 8.14.0010.0662, and I'm fairly certain that's incorrect, which is the whole reason that STO is throwing up the initial error warning, telling me my display drivers are wrong.

For the life of me I don't know what to do next. My other newish games are working just fine, STO is the only one with the problem as far as I can tell.

Help is so very much appreciated!! I hope I've included enough information to be useful,
Thanks a lot guys

P.S. I have Windows Vista Business 32-bit, and I have been using the 32-bit graphics driver update packages.
P.P.S I've tried running STO in compatability mode because the support site suggested it, but that didn't help.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-24-2010, 01:02 PM
I just sent a copy of this message to STO Support on atari.com/support, with my dxdiag information, but I came here first incase there's some simple explanation that someone knows around here.

I trust you guys more than I trust the professionals to be honest. Something about being a long time MMO gamer and knowing what support can be like.

Thanks again.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-24-2010, 07:15 PM
on vista you should set the launcher and the gameclient to run as admin also should not install the game in the program files folder.

if force verify in the launcher option does not file the file error problem, delete the data.hogg file and have the patcher download a new one.

the driver options you should first unistall the graphic driver, reboot then use a driver cleaning program like drive cleaner or drive sweeper to remove any lingering old driver files then install the new driver.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-25-2010, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback Pegasus. I'm redownloading the potentially corrupted hogg files and am in the process of reinstalling my display drivers after uninstalling them.

The one thing I've run into however, is setting the game client to run as admin. Going into Properties on the shortcut or exe, the tickbox for run as admin is greyed out, I'm not sure how to get around that, but I know there's a way.

Once the update and reinstall are done I'll report back any success or failure for future reference...!

Thanks again,
TheArchitect
Lt. Commander
I was playing fine on Saturday afternoon with a KDF toon, then later Saturday evening when i tried to log in again and onto a kdf toon i had multiple crashes going from the character selection screen to the actual game. This only occured when selecting KDF toons and i was able to log in normally on a fed toon. The actual error message was as follows (for one kdf toon):
Fatal Error: Error Decompressing Data
Technical Details: ./piggs/texture3.hogg: Texture_Library/Costumes/Avatars/Klingon/F_Uniformu_klingon_01_D
Wtex error decompressing data

Of course there was a small patch that downloaded before i logged on in the evening, so i am assuming that something got glitched. Even after successfully logging in and playing as a fed for several hours did not change anything when i logged out and tried to switch to a KDF toon again. This is quite frustrating.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xablis
I was playing fine on Saturday afternoon with a KDF toon, then later Saturday evening when i tried to log in again and onto a kdf toon i had multiple crashes going from the character selection screen to the actual game. This only occured when selecting KDF toons and i was able to log in normally on a fed toon. The actual error message was as follows (for one kdf toon):
Fatal Error: Error Decompressing Data
Technical Details: ./piggs/texture3.hogg: Texture_Library/Costumes/Avatars/Klingon/F_Uniformu_klingon_01_D
Wtex error decompressing data

Of course there was a small patch that downloaded before i logged on in the evening, so i am assuming that something got glitched. Even after successfully logging in and playing as a fed for several hours did not change anything when i logged out and tried to switch to a KDF toon again. This is quite frustrating.
Maybe this has something to do with the new Klingon Uniform options??

At the moment I'm still downloading the big hogg file that corrupted for me to see if it'll make a difference. If you're desperate to fix this, then try Pegasus' advice of manually finding the texture3.hogg file, deleting it and re-downloading it.

They're under C:\...\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\Piggs on my rig.

Texture3.hogg is 641mb on my system, so set aside enough STO down time to download it all again.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Me again. Didn't solve anything. I think there's maybe a different .hogg error now, but it's essentially the same as happened before. Followed this to letter but still no joy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusMD
on vista you should set the launcher and the gameclient to run as admin also should not install the game in the program files folder.

if force verify in the launcher option does not file the file error problem, delete the data.hogg file and have the patcher download a new one.

the driver options you should first unistall the graphic driver, reboot then use a driver cleaning program like drive cleaner or drive sweeper to remove any lingering old driver files then install the new driver.

Lt. Commander
# 8
09-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Okay, so I'm now almost certain that this has nothing to do with my graphics drivers, I've ruled those out.

Now that I've updated them properly I no longer get the error here: http://img228.imageshack.us/i/failed...pecscheck.jpg/

But I'll still get one random message about a hogg file being unable to decompress.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-26-2010, 02:27 PM
which directory did you install the game into. also what version of antivirus are you uisng?
specially since you are saying you are getting a different hogg error.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-27-2010, 01:35 AM
Roight, well, I'm seeing progress after deleting texture1.hogg (the latest hogg error) and redownloading it. I've gotten further into the game, the character select screen now, before seeing an error about texture3.hogg. The graphics are horrible though, very low res and missing textures, but I've gotten past the loading bars, into the login screen, to select a character.

Unfortunately I then get a texture3.hogg error but can still click around. I'm gonna try deleting texture3.hogg now. Might even see a ship before next week at this rate.

Okay, Pegasus,

I've got the game installed into the recommended directory in C:/Users/Public/Games/Cryptic Studios/ for Vista users.

And my anti-virus is... I have AntiVir Personal and IObit Security 360. Which one can cause trouble? If it's neither of those two there's the remote chance there's an old Anti Virus hanging around that hasn't uninstalled properly.

Again, thanks for the help.