Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
09-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxsa
Ehm ... first of all races like joined trill or ferengi or others in the c-store are totaly more then costumes. and a game that has a sub don't realy need a c-store to get money ! and most of all what free stuff has cryptic given us (weekly missions) thats about it all the rest came thru the c-store what cost extra.
Most of the races in the C-store are supposed to be rare, or are otherwise inappropriate for mass playability in Starfleet. The exception to this would be the Tellarites, but that's not really here or there. The rest are supposed to be very limited. By putting them in the store, you allow people the option to make one of they really want to, but it's obviously meant as a discouragement. A compromise between canon and allowing people to make the characters that they really want.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
09-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie
Did you play during the weekend when they were offering the tribble?
Yes, I did. Yes I got them for free.

That's not really the point. They are selling these items. These items affect gameplay. A player joins tomorrow, and can only get them through the C-Store.

That's the point. Not if I have them and got them for free. But that the C-Store is now the way these become available. These aren't just flavor items. These are items that give buffs in-game that affect combat.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
09-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
That's not really the point. They are selling these items. These items affect gameplay. A player joins tomorrow, and can only get them through the C-Store.

That's the point. Not if I have them and got them for free. But that the C-Store is now the way these become available. These aren't just flavor items. These are items that give buffs in-game that affect combat.
Which effects gameplay more? Them selling those tribbles, or not selling them at all and the new player that joins tomorrow just misses out entirely?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
09-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
Which effects gameplay more? Them selling those tribbles, or not selling them at all and the new player that joins tomorrow just misses out entirely?
Them selling the tribbles. Because ... it's a KDF centric issue, where the tribbles are concerned anyways. It's the only way a KDF player can get the buff.

A fed can join ... and either breed normal tribbles or just buy pre-bred tribbles off the exchange. There is a thriving system for tribble use in-game. (The top tier tribbles are better than the tribbles from test server and the rivera tribble on the c-store).

Anyways, we're getting pretty far afield don't you think? I'm not advocating shutting down the c-store. I understand the OP's point. And while I may agree with the criticism, I don't think shutting down the c-store is a viable solution. Nor do I think it's something STO will consider at this late stage of the game.

So I'm not really here to argue for shutting down the c-store.

Just to acknowledge that the c-store is currently offering things that are more than just flavor. And that is a legitimate criticism of how they evolved their c-store.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
09-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
Most of the races in the C-store are supposed to be rare, or are otherwise inappropriate for mass playability in Starfleet. The exception to this would be the Tellarites, but that's not really here or there. The rest are supposed to be very limited. By putting them in the store, you allow people the option to make one of they really want to, but it's obviously meant as a discouragement. A compromise between canon and allowing people to make the characters that they really want.
i can understand of "rare" races but putting them in the C-Store don't make them rare ... i bet that half the players of STO has one or two of the new races so thats not rare in my book.
Ohwell i see your point of it all and i agree in a way, but if thats the way cryptic wanted to be for the new races then 80, 120, 200 or 280 points is way to low cus i totaly did not mind to pay 200 points for a race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
Which effects gameplay more? Them selling those tribbles, or not selling them at all and the new player that joins tomorrow just misses out entirely?
Yes there is a problem here people that got there tribble from test server, its not fair to a new player BUT selling the tribbles in C-Store is not the good way, why not just add some mission to get the tribble, you know a mission a NEW player can take to get the tribble that way has the NEW player don't have to spend MORE money on a ingame item !! cus is it fair for the new player to pay extra for a tribble then the player who got there tribble for free ?! think of that one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
09-26-2010, 02:11 PM
I had a KDF toon and on my away team I had Klingons and they had tribbles the tribble (mat) (ric)
they had the buffs. I bread them in my bank vault and ship vault as well. It may be a bug that affects some not all. The Tribble undine is the one I use the most as it gives the best buffs.
I also don't mind the C store but everything in it should be obtainable in game at a fair cost to the players.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37 I love threads like these
09-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Have any of you people hating on the C-Store ever been to California? Your precious $25 purchase in the C-Store barely covers lunch.

I heard someone say he would 'start a riot' if they put the Red Matter Capacitor in the C-Store because he spent $80....SIX MONTHS AGO If you drop the cost of a dinner for two (going easy on the drinks of course) on a video game half a year ago and then have the nerve to log in and rage about how much you've invested in STO and how nobody else should be as special as you, something is seriously wrong with both your self-esteem and financial perspective.

Check the signature!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
09-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewzz View Post
We love the game or not , fact is op is correct.
The c store has hurt cryptic more than they realise , I know tons n tons who are leaving when kotor is out because of the money pinching.
So your leaving a game with a store that you don't have to buy stuff from to a game with a store that you have to buy stuff from?


During a conference call with investors, EA's CEO John Riccitello has revealed that BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO will be a mid-session game that's micro-transaction based, thereby distancing the title from World of ********'s model of subscription based payment.

"Other initiatives that we have announced, for example the Star Wars Online MMO, are mid-session games which are micro-transaction based. You'll be hearing more about those in the February call," Riccitello stated.

Source: http://www.totalvideogames.com/Star-...sed-13530.html
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
09-27-2010, 06:11 AM
To the OP -

There is nothing wrong with the C-store as it is now, aside from having some items that exclusive that should also have a means to obtain them ingame. The players have spoken, and dstahl seems intent on making sure future ships added to the C-store will also be obtainable through some means ingame. Every other online store is one of two types - pay for content blocks (f2p games) or pay for fluff and some minor enhancers (paid sub games). When STO goes f2p (and it will, all the indicators are there, when is the question) then you will have a valid argument that too much is available in the store, because you will be forced to buy access to sectors and the quests inside, not to mention most races and ships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
09-27-2010, 03:16 PM
To anyone that's read my posting history on the C-Store, you know that I'm hardly anywhere near a defender of the damn thing. However, some people (like the OP) blow it way out of proportion. As it currently stands, my biggest peevs regarding it are the sheer amount of stuff up there and the fact that almost nothing is attainable in-game. If they make everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) unlockable through some in-game means (pay with badges, get as an accolade or mission reward, etc) then I can handle the concept.

Microtransaction stores are NOT a bad thing, but the way that they are handled CAN be. Look at how many people have left the game because of it. Regardless as to if you like it or not, it IS hurting the game. I refuse to buy anything up there (that I haven't already purchased before this became an issue for me), despite that some of the stuff up there I really want, because of Cryptic's handling of it.

Yes, I've used terms like "money grubbing" and "cash grab", but that is the way that a lot of us see it. I also see it as an early indication that the game will go F2P (not necessarily soon, nor should it).
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 AM.