Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
09-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Eve has a variable market value system with its NPC vendors as well, but is STO large enough to have one?
Not right now, no, but I wouldn't expect to see a playable Ferengi merchant until well after the addition of the Romulans and Cardassians. Maybe a third expansion kind of thing.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Quote:
The KDF being designed as a 90% pvp-centric faction is slowly killing the enjoyment of the faction for new players as they progress to the maximum rank of LG and find that there is nothing left to do but pvp.
Without meaningful and storyline driven pve content the KDF faction quickly becomes boring to those who are not fans of the KDF to begin with or who are not avid fans of pvp combat in general.
Those players whodo not like, find little pleasure or lack the skills to compete with more experienced pvp'ers
will have little reason to stick with and enjoy any pvp-centric toons they may possess. This hurts the faction as a whole and does not increase the draw of said pvp-faction.

Secondly, the lack of pve leads to the new and older fans of the KDF to specialize in iether one or the other of the pvp based choices that this faction has, space or ground. This leads to specific expendeture of skill points to maximize thier effectiveness in one of the two pvp arena formats and leads to a self-crippling efffectivenss in what little pve content that does exist.
Specifically, if a KDF player wishes to compete at the level LG in space pvp then said KDF player will most likely never spend any points in the ground based skills and vice-versa a ground pvp player will have less points to spend in space based skills overall, thus making the less the prime effective in the later.

Pvp-centric or monster play, and yes its really a polished version of monster play, is a self defeating design for any faction within the STO game.
Here-here.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-28-2010, 02:01 PM
I have to agree with the OP, I played Fed .. lots of PvE. PvP is fun with a good squad but, in the end and why I will not be resubbing is the lack of other species/Klink content has made me take a break from STO. I hope to return soon.

to quote old pointed ears "fasinating"
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Eve has a variable market value system with its NPC vendors as well, but is STO large enough to have one?
Eve has singly the most effective player driven economy of any game I have ever seen. This is attributable to two things.

1: Complete destructability of everything you own. This means there is a constant demand for replacement stuff. When you die you lose most if not all of what you had.
2: Almost everything you will ever use is player crafted. Drops can be better under certain circumstances and in certain ways but most players use predominately player crafted stuff. NPC vendors sell tat and blueprints for players to craft the gear. Many players of Eve spend their game time crafting and harvesting to make bullets for other players to shoot with.

STO cannot use this model as they are already embraked on the WoW model of indestructable player owned gear. This is always gonna reduce any market economy to the 'I can make the uber leet rare crafted item that everyone wants one of'. This, in turn means in almost every case items will sell for less than the materials used to make them, except in odd instances, because far more people make multiple items to level the skill than they will ever actually need or use. Sad but true, and we are on this path already.

Market economies rely heavily on consumables. As long as grenades come in infinity satchels and hypos are replicateable we have no chance whatsoever.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Case in point, I need to stop crafting and just farm green data samples. When I put them on the exchange and undercut the average nosebleed price I'll be a gazillonare within the week.
not that I could actually *do* anything with all that EC...
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Yeah, with our 12,816 varieties of currency, many of which are redundant before you consider using them, there really is little use for the vanilla variety of currency.

Sometimes I wonder why I don't just spend all the credits on a single rare item. Then I realise that it will have the exact same dps or whatever as a white item of the same class, just with a weeny little increase in crit chance or whatever.
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-29-2010, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Restless.Kaiser
snipped.
Was not suggesting that we do. I stated that EvE has varying prices/values on items depending on which NPC vendor you visit and where said vendor is and was curiuos if STO is large enough to follow a similiar model, given that travel times between such NPC's would not take very long.
I was not refering to the items sold by the players at these locations, merely the ones offere by the NPC's.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-01-2010, 03:47 PM
We need more PvE content, simple as that. It doesn't have to be on par or equal with the Feds, but we need SOMETHING to fill in the gaps where all we can do is basically PvP or wait for the next series of weeklies. I hate the grind, which is why I rarely play my KDF toon. I can't bring myself to join in the mindless and not-fun PvP matches without a premade, trying to level in the T'Ong nebula (and other "exploration" zones) is no fun, either. It's the missions, whether it's the weeklies or Klingon specific, that bring me back.

I want to see more of the Klingon culture. Will it happen? If it doesn't, I'm pretty much through with the game, lifer or not. I've been wanting to play a Klingon since the game was announced, and all I got was a glorified Monster Play. So, I leveled a Federation toon while I waited...and I waited some more...got bored with the game and left...only to return to very little added to the faction beyond the shared content and eight missions (which were both awesomely written, don't get me wrong).

The KDF has a tarnished reputation right now, and anything short of massive changes will not change that viewpoint.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
We need more PvE content, simple as that. It doesn't have to be on par or equal with the Feds, but we need SOMETHING to fill in the gaps where all we can do is basically PvP or wait for the next series of weeklies. I hate the grind, which is why I rarely play my KDF toon. I can't bring myself to join in the mindless and not-fun PvP matches without a premade, trying to level in the T'Ong nebula (and other "exploration" zones) is no fun, either. It's the missions, whether it's the weeklies or Klingon specific, that bring me back.

I want to see more of the Klingon culture. Will it happen? If it doesn't, I'm pretty much through with the game, lifer or not. I've been wanting to play a Klingon since the game was announced, and all I got was a glorified Monster Play. So, I leveled a Federation toon while I waited...and I waited some more...got bored with the game and left...only to return to very little added to the faction beyond the shared content and eight missions (which were both awesomely written, don't get me wrong).

The KDF has a tarnished reputation right now, and anything short of massive changes will not change that viewpoint.
My sentiments exactly, except for the leaving part. I'll play me Klingon until the bitter end. They will have to cancel me before I quit.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Klingons are my preferred faction, when I used to spend all my time playing SFC I did so from my D7, destroyed many federation CC's in glorious battle.

But when I come to STO.. My heart still beats as a warrior of the empire... But there seems so little for me to do. I'd like to get at least to the point of being able to do the weekly. But my first nebula mission has me running around trying to find the last two borg devices that I can't scan for.

The UGC could very well be the thing that saves me, and I'm looking forward to not only playing but making stuff with it... But I'm not sure when that will even come out.

Is the KDFAssistance chan, very active? If there's at least some social interaction going I'd be more willing to endure some of the grind.