Lt. Commander
# 11
09-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobkill View Post
I loved the mission, don't get me wrong... but I take insult by your comment "there isn't anything needed to fix". The whole point was that it was a puzzle to solve using sound clues. If you can't do that, then it no longer becomes a puzzle and is aimless guess work. You just said you hoped they become more complex given time... so do I, but if it involves aimless guess work then how is it more complex?!
If you want to take insult where none is given, feel free, I said I hope missions get more complex in response to the question, how did you like them, I said I did.

Remember the puzzle where you had to move your boffs? and touch the panels? hmm guess work involved? This was 6 possible combinations, I didn't hear the tones, like I said I was watching a movie, you DON'T need to hear it. 3 buttons you can only push one time have a very limited amount of outcomes.

Now if it was a long sequence of tones that could result in each button being pushed multiple times to recreate a song you'd have an argument that I could and would support. But 6 combo's is nothing to worry about. Find something else to take offense to, nothing needs to be fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikura
I found it annoying. It took me 8 times to get it right. And the last time i turned the volume up loud so i could hear the tones and it worked. I think they could have done a better job with that one. But overall i loved the whole series. I hope we get alot more like them. I only ask for better rewards. That item that freezes friendlies is starting to get on my nerves in Earth spacedock.
The maximum number of combinations is 6... 3*2*1. You don't even need sound to do it.

anyone requiring more than 6 tries to complete the puzzle needs to reconsider their ability to problem solve.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Although not deaf, I also couldn't hear the tones well enough, but figured it out via brute force. Only took 3 tries...right on the average.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-26-2010, 05:17 PM
90% of the games out there today are not deaf friendly.
STO isnt any different.

Even run of the mill first person shooters require you to be able to hear to really dominate.
Its just the way it is.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-26-2010, 11:26 PM
It's still better to let Cryptic know now, that a sound based puzzle is not a good idea, when it's a 6 permutation puzzle, than later if they try a more sound reliant puzzle.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-26-2010, 11:55 PM
I totally see why people would complain about a puzzle with tones (or rather make aware that some players may have issues with it). And I have to say, the first thing that came to my mind when I did the puzzle was that it's not deaf-friendly.

But then what is there to change? Should Cryptic never ever use tones and sounds as clues and puzzles? Most of the players can hear, so why shouldn't that be used from time to time? Especially when the puzzle is also solvable by simple "dry runs" like the one in the Preserver archive.

And please don't get me wrong. This isn't meant as trolling or an insult. I don't want to be insensitive. I just think that those are legitimate issues and questions that should be raised.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-27-2010, 12:23 AM
I am not deaf and still had trouble making out the right order. There was too much ambient noise (that I couldn't turn down) frmo the scene to really make it out. my hearing is not that good, I am afraid.

I think they should have made the glowing in different colors, so you could either go from red over green to blue or from low pitch to medium pitch to high pitch.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-27-2010, 10:06 AM
The mission could use a wave length UI so each tone from the individual consoles can be seen by the hearing impaired. I personally am not deaf but do have a hearing issue and just cycled through the three consoles randomly until I hit the right sequence.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
The mission could use a wave length UI so each tone from the individual consoles can be seen by the hearing impaired. I personally am not deaf but do have a hearing issue and just cycled through the three consoles randomly until I hit the right sequence.
This is an idea. If the console could be modded to display a wave amplitude on it that might help as a visual clue, or else have it pop up as a minigame type window like the scanner one to display the control panel.
And someone earlier posted that its a good idea to advise the devs of these sort of things now and I agree. Its not necessarily a criticism to suggest modifying a mechanic to make sure it works for everyone intended. Lord knows I had enough trouble hearing the consoles let alone telling with tone was a higher pitch then the others...so yeah I just ended up trying combination until it worked.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Unless I missed something in the mission that gave a hint as to the correct sound combination, I didn't use the sounds to figure out the correct combo. Just trial and error. So, I think the sound aspect was purely to add character to the puzzle and story, and was not intended to be used to solve it.

That said, though, I don't think it is entirely unreasonable for players to respectfully remind Cryptic that there is a deaf player base, regardless of size, that way they can continue to make the game as deaf-friendly as possible. If this puzzle (or future puzzles) were more complex and DID require an accurate reenactment of a previously heard noise or tune, then that would definitely be unfair for deaf players, especially when there are plenty of other reasonable ways to make puzzles more difficult or unique for everyone.

Hopefully everyone will keep in mind that the OP had no idea the puzzle was not actually sound dependent, so we shouldn't criticize him/her for voicing his concerns in this thread.