Lt. Commander
# 21
09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardserenade View Post
I totally see why people would complain about a puzzle with tones (or rather make aware that some players may have issues with it). And I have to say, the first thing that came to my mind when I did the puzzle was that it's not deaf-friendly.

But then what is there to change? Should Cryptic never ever use tones and sounds as clues and puzzles? Most of the players can hear, so why shouldn't that be used from time to time? Especially when the puzzle is also solvable by simple "dry runs" like the one in the Preserver archive.

And please don't get me wrong. This isn't meant as trolling or an insult. I don't want to be insensitive. I just think that those are legitimate issues and questions that should be raised.

My concern is they may attempt a puzzle that legitamately requires you to hear in order to solve it. Better to voice our concerns now when it's still a relatively minor issure than later.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-01-2010, 02:58 AM
Quote:
there isn't anything to fix, you didn't need to hear anything
There is something to fix. The point was you were supposed to listen to the tones to figure it out and the OP has a point that for a deaf person this isn't going to work.

That said, I wouldn't want to lose things like that because someone is deaf. I thought it was a nice touch and turned the TV down so I could listen to the consoles. Well done Cryptic for trying to do somethying that requires brain power rather than button mashing.

Perhaps a solution would have been to have a 'tricorder' play a visual sound wave thats slightly different to each console and then a deaf person could have used that to work out the solution rather than just randomly trying combinations. (A suggestion i've just seen others put forward )
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-01-2010, 08:11 AM
/shrug. My brain power said there were only 6 combos and I solved it. I already said if it involved multiple presses of the same button I could and would support the argument that something might need changing but not in this case.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb74
There is something to fix. The point was you were supposed to listen to the tones to figure it out and the OP has a point that for a deaf person this isn't going to work.

That said, I wouldn't want to lose things like that because someone is deaf. I thought it was a nice touch and turned the TV down so I could listen to the consoles. Well done Cryptic for trying to do somethying that requires brain power rather than button mashing.

Perhaps a solution would have been to have a 'tricorder' play a visual sound wave thats slightly different to each console and then a deaf person could have used that to work out the solution rather than just randomly trying combinations. (A suggestion i've just seen others put forward )
I too, would like to see some sort of visual animation if they pursue the auditory puzzles in the future. For everyone else who believes that there is nothing to fix, then I suggest you try to watch movies/shows or play games without any sounds at all, see what its like.

I'm rather disheartened by the comments on this thread saying there is nothing to fix. You dismiss my concerns as invalid and not worthy of attention. Much of this game is text based and for that I am grateful. But if I voice a concern about a puzzle relying on sound only clues with hints of more in the future, I get told that my complaint is without merit. I hope you understand it when I say that is insulting. Yes I can try any number of combinations and get it right (I did that and got it right on my second try), but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobkill View Post
I too, would like to see some sort of visual animation if they pursue the auditory puzzles in the future. For everyone else who believes that there is nothing to fix, then I suggest you try to watch movies/shows or play games without any sounds at all, see what its like.

I'm rather disheartened by the comments on this thread saying there is nothing to fix. You dismiss my concerns as invalid and not worthy of attention. Much of this game is text based and for that I am grateful. But if I voice a concern about a puzzle relying on sound only clues with hints of more in the future, I get told that my complaint is without merit. I hope you understand it when I say that is insulting. Yes I can try any number of combinations and get it right (I did that and got it right on my second try), but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
/sigh stop taking insult because someone disagrees with you. I do NOT agree with you about this puzzle, that isn't an insult. I DO agree that if it was a DIFFERENT long puzzle that you NEEDED to hear it would need changing. -- don't ignore the agree and support part and take offense again.