Lt. Commander
# 11
09-25-2010, 11:41 PM
I had a similar problem. I updated my drivers, and everything cleared up nicely. Of course, three days later the video card died. So my reccomendation is that you either need to update your drivers, or prepare for your video card to go.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronoso1979 View Post
so your siding with that one guy then in trying to flame me then in saying that my computer is broke? and that the rest of my games that use high end graphics like sto and the other mmo game I use age of conan that plays just fine but yet star trek online and its my fault? wow
Well, first of all, it's not "your fault" or anything you should feel defensive about if your system is failing. It makes tech support difficult if you aren't willing to analyze your system.

That doesn't mean it's not something in the game client that has changed or is causing your system to fail/overheat/etc.

But it's also not a problem that's common, which means it's probably an issue with your system or a specific compatibility with your system that is broken on the client side.

A few questions:

Is your system overclocked?

Do you know anything about the stats/specs on your power supply or cooling?

One video card or two?

Do you have shadows and/or anti-aliasing enabled? Does the problem go away when they're disabled?

Is to problem more noticeable in combat or heavily populated areas?

Keep in mind that STO (and all Cryptic products) tend to be more demanding on systems. This isn't necessarily a bug if this is behind the problem. They simply are designed to require more from a computer than games with better graphics might, as a result of the architecture.

I've had systems that ran fairly new games as smooth as silk that couldn't handle City of Heroes. Among other things, Cryptic games tend to rely very heavily on processor speed. More cores than two won't help. Video cards will help you get better graphics, sure... But processor speed, brand/quality, and cooling are more important in Cryptic designed games than other games you might encounter with equal or better graphics.

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn but, for example, I think a 3.4 ghz dual core processor with liquid cooling or a really powerful fan will do more for you than a 2.8 ghz six core processor with factory cooling where STO is concerned. The game is not really designed to utilize more than two cores and will make systems run hot if you run them at even the suggested specs anyway.

Beyond that, I think that's a big reason WHY instance caps are at 25 players here so frequently. If you have the suggested specs are try to crank everything up to the max with just the suggested specs (the ones a step above the minimum), the servers can handle more players fine but your computer might get fried with too many players doing too much, depending on the brand/compatibility of all your components. Having the suggested specs is not necessarily a license to max out your graphics settings.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Quote:
so your siding with that one guy then in trying to flame me then in saying that my computer is broke? and that the rest of my games that use high end graphics like sto and the other mmo game I use age of conan that plays just fine but yet star trek online and its my fault? wow
How's it flaming you to point out the problem is probably on your side in some capacity? Like I said.. tech support 101.. and I worked technical support for several years.

Best course of action is to check drivers and, failing that, reinstalling the game.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
How's it flaming you to point out the problem is probably on your side in some capacity? Like I said.. tech support 101.. and I worked technical support for several years.

Best course of action is to check drivers and, failing that, reinstalling the game.
I already found the problem there is a known confliction with my series of graphics card and it started after season 2 came out and cryptic just never bothered to patch the problem oh well.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Quote:
I already found the problem there is a known confliction with my series of graphics card and it started after season 2 came out and cryptic just never bothered to patch the problem oh well.
I was gonna suggest, but you beat me to it. That the problem might lie in a conflict between the game and your ATI card. It seems that there is an issue between STO and ATI. To be perfectly honest, I have seen this in other games with ATI. (Hence one of the reasons I only use Nvidia.)
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Nvidia drivers have lately run into overheating issues. I'd try the latest beta drivers and see if they fix it (assuming they weren't causing the problem on your end).

EDIT: Nevermind - you're using ATI cards. The 10.2 drivers have been plagued by issues.

Rolling back to 10.1 might solve your issues.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-26-2010, 02:37 AM
Quote:
So it is on your system as it is your graphics card...

And flame you? For trying to help and pointing out the truth.. Please...
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Quote:
tonight now trying to play the game has already locked my computer up three times and caused my computer to crash. I know it is not my computer because everytime I logged into the game I'm in maybe 10 15 minutes and then the game locks the screen goes black and all I here is audio sounding like its a record stuck. i run any other programs or games and its just fine. I seriously hope they are going to fix these bug problems soon. Otherwise I'm close to giving up trying to fight the bugs in this game. Unless someone else has another solution for why the game keeps crashing oh and before anyone suggests my computer is crap I have an amd quad core with 4 gigs of ram windows vista home premium and a nvidia 9400 gt 1 gig video card. and as I said I have no problems running other games.
I had this exact problem back in April

Screen would sometimes go black and the sound would enter a loop

My Graphics card was a Nvidia from the 8000 series.

Sometimes it can just be the game, this can be determined if after a few mins it goes back to the desktop.
If however you have to reset your comp then it could be the problem I had.

Which was my card was overheating and the safety feature was kicking in (basically after 10 or 15 mins if the card gets to hot the card has a safety that was installed to stop overclocking damage), which of course would crash the game. Eventually my card gave up after 2 months of this and wouldn't display anything other than hyroglifics

We found out one of the cables was faulty, thus one of the fans was not turning on. We tested this by removing the cable and straight away the game would crash to a black screen with repeating sound.
We also tested it was the fan as putting the cable in made the fan turn on, but letting go of the cable the fan would turn off, as it was loose.

I have bought a new Nvidia card now and its fine.

Just get someone to check the fans are al working and/or try downloading SPEEDFAN to check the fan speeds and temp of your comp. Not saying it is this but it really can't help to check before it costs 400 pounds to buy a new card.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-26-2010, 04:28 AM
Quote:
I won't Flame you, but I had your same issue with my old computer system. It did not have enough RAM, nor did it have enough Processor Power. At 1.5 Gig RAM, and 533 Processor Speed. it would play for anywhere up to an hour, then Bang. Crash, Lock and CTD. It would often do that 6 or more times each day. Since I replaced it with a better unit, I have not had a repeat of that problem.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-26-2010, 04:35 AM
Quote:
This sadly is not an issue limited to Cryptic. I have found other games that patch and suddenly have video issues. The issue in fairness is usually with the card drivers and not the game. These moron card makers keep trying to put in specific optimizations for game titles to make them run faster. However if the game changes the optimizations ususally get screwed up.

Try an earlier driver or newer driver. The driver will eventually be fixed. however to blame Cryptic in this case is not accurate.

As for the ATI vs nVidia posts, I run both and both have had issues. I am running the current drivers for both however and have no issues at all.

BTW to the op can you point where you found out about the video card issues?