Lt. Commander
# 21
09-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
How's it flaming you to point out the problem is probably on your side in some capacity? Like I said.. tech support 101.. and I worked technical support for several years.

Best course of action is to check drivers and, failing that, reinstalling the game.
Being that you worked tech support, as I have in the past, then you should know tech support 102,, it's always your products fault, not the customers.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-26-2010, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronoso1979 View Post
nope I know its the game because star trek online over rides all computer functions and locks me out of all other computer functions.

Do not say "Nope" just because you THINK it isn't the lack of up-to-date drivers. This is exactly the sort of thing that makes people like me who have spent time in the IT field create entire websites devoted to the mistakes people make because they think they know EVERYTHING.

Update your drivers. Just because this problem ONLY happens with STO does not mean it is the game that is at fault. It could be that you have a buggy driver, or a driver that is severely out of date that no other game tries to utilize. Or perhaps STO merely utilizes the driver differently than other games. If it were a problem with STO then you would not be the only person experiencing it. In fact, if it were a bug in the code of the game, everyone would have the exact same problem you are having. Update your drivers for EVERY piece of hardware, then do a check of your RAM to make sure it's not corrupt, and for good measure, defrag your hard drive as a portion of STO may be sitting on a bad sector of your hard drive and when your computer tries to access that sector, it causes the aforementioned lockups.

The audio stuttering lockup you describe is text-book bad sector or bad hardware device driver.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Nvidia drivers have lately run into overheating issues. I'd try the latest beta drivers and see if they fix it (assuming they weren't causing the problem on your end).
Yeah, that's really bothering me. My video card has had to be RMAed twice this year, both times within days of updating the drivers.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris
Yeah, that's really bothering me. My video card has had to be RMAed twice this year, both times within days of updating the drivers.
I have had problems with Nvidia's driver as well.

I rolled back the driver on my GTX 260 to 8.15.11.9038 and have *knocks on wood*, no problems with any program I have run since, new or old.

EDIT: As for STO and ATI, it's not jusr a STO thing, Cryptic's games have historically not liked ATI cards, there were a lot of threads about the OPs problem during CO's launch and early in CoH's life as well.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkem View Post
Being that you worked tech support, as I have in the past, then you should know tech support 102,, it's always your products fault, not the customers.
I refused to take the blame for other peoples' ignorance, so eventually left the field for programming.
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-26-2010, 12:24 PM
its a problem with your computer (and it's interaction with STO) or the game files on your computer
its not the game itself, if it was everyone would have this issue
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
I refused to take the blame for other peoples' ignorance, so eventually left the field for programming.
Same,,, well not for programming but the gist is the same.
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
I was gonna suggest, but you beat me to it. That the problem might lie in a conflict between the game and your ATI card. It seems that there is an issue between STO and ATI. To be perfectly honest, I have seen this in other games with ATI. (Hence one of the reasons I only use Nvidia.)
I'm not using ati I'm using a nvidia bfg 9400 gt that's the problem. I found out today that there was a problem with the 9400 series so I guess after all it was just a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. I ordered it from tiger direct I called them and they informed me that because bfg refused to honor their warranties they would give me a replacement card of a different brand for free if I sent the card into them.
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-26-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm with you OP! You aren't as alone as the apologists want you to believe.

I just logged a ticket with Atari's support site. I'll see what answers I get, but I'm about out of hope by now.
I get weapon lockups that freeze my toon and stop any progression. I get weapon tray lockups that crash the game.

I get crashed to desktop constantly.

I just bought a brand new computer. Quad core, TB of storage and 8g of ram. I have one of the latest and biggest ATI card out there. I have no problems with any other game or computer/internet function.

I am tired of avoiding weapons. I'm tired of crashing. I'm tired of excuses. I honestly can't see paying for a game that is so buggy that I can't play it all.

I turned off dynamic lighting, and then wondered why I need to lessen my experience when I bought the computer to enhance it.

Honeslty, the game is lame enough at times without all this hassle just to play it. I have never experienced anything like this before.

I just got a weapon lockup that stopped progression in Cold Storage. I will now have to start at the beginning and try to get through the ground part. I have come to avoid ground combat all together. But, the weeklies force me to try to get through them.

This is about the last straw for me.
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakara
So it is on your system as it is your graphics card...

And flame you? For trying to help and pointing out the truth.. Please...
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~InfoNinja