Lt. Commander
# 11
10-01-2010, 03:17 PM
^ that is a good question. I myself never played in one.

Some what off topic, but is anyone surprised we havent seen any new PvP maps? I know a few new cap n hold maps you could get randomly would be awsome.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-01-2010, 03:49 PM
if i remember it correctly, there was 2 main base stations and 2-3 mini bases inbetween. i think 1-3 ships each side could pick up "boarding teams" from their own main base. the idea was to take the "teams" and invade the mini bases and main base of the enemy. i think each side had 25 points, each enemy ship destroyed took a point away from the ships that got blown up's team. you the team that got a mini base invaded by a "team" lost 3 points while if the main base got invaded you lost 5 points.

all in all a great game for large teams but noone ever really played it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I enjoyed playing them when I could, but I almost never got into one once I hit max level (they never popped before arenas or salvage). I think that they were really hampered by the fact that they were all the way at the bottom of the old queue listings.

Personally I wish that they would bring them back, but they have a lot to do otherwise.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-02-2010, 09:46 AM
I never got in one, i never saw anyone q'd so i didnt bother q'ing myself, after reading about what the objectives of the match are, i think this sounds like an awesome map. I would happily do this instead of CnH.
yet another thing i didnt realize was in game untill it was gone.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-03-2010, 09:18 PM
You're right, what happened to those?
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo716 View Post
if i remember it correctly, there was 2 main base stations and 2-3 mini bases inbetween. i think 1-3 ships each side could pick up "boarding teams" from their own main base. the idea was to take the "teams" and invade the mini bases and main base of the enemy. i think each side had 25 points, each enemy ship destroyed took a point away from the ships that got blown up's team. you the team that got a mini base invaded by a "team" lost 3 points while if the main base got invaded you lost 5 points.

all in all a great game for large teams but noone ever really played it.
Ya, you pretty much covered everything.

I also recall there being NPC ships which would defend your main base, and I think there were 3 at each mini base, as each side (KDF and Fed) had 3 mini bases.

There was also a Supply Depot in the middle with 2 loot areas which usually contained batteries.

Also, the player that beamed up the Security Team from your main base was vulnerable when they had to interact with the enemy bases (beaming down the Security Teams) as there shields would be lowered and therefore extremely vulnerable to be destroyed.
The interaction timer was pretty long too, something like 5-10 seconds.

I personally love queuing for these matches, especially on my KDF as many times the match would start with unbalanced teams (me vs. 4 Feds).

Would be great if they made a comeback maybe as a Capture & Hold / Assault combination??
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Space Assault actually sounds like a very good base to expand upon when developing an open PvP zone. I think it should definitely be revisited.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-04-2010, 12:46 PM
The space assault functioned pretty much exactly like Shanty Town does, just in space.

Honestly I don't think it was ever well balanced. It was rarely, rarely played, even in beta and post launch days when there were a lot more in the queues. Whenever one did start, it usually had clueless people all around with a handful who actually knew what to do. Because of that it never amounted to a good, competitive match, and the clueless people just knew the game suddenly ended and someone won without actually knowing what happened. Shanty Town can have the same exact problem.

I do miss it, if for nothing more than variety's sake, but I think it should be redone to make it more obvious or simpler or something.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-04-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't think they should waste time on complicated maps. In general people just want to blast each other, which is why C&H ends up being much like arena.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-04-2010, 02:58 PM
I only played one Space Assault match not long after the game started, and it was fun.
Its like Shanty Town in Space.

Cant be too hard to put it back into the Queue listing? Its already in the game!