Lt. Commander
Hearing what some people have been saying about them, you'd think they're the Second Coming of Rodenberry.

I don't get it. The nicest thing I can bring myself to say about them is that they're better than "Divide et Empera" and "Assimilation". The 'intrigue' falls flat, the only recurring character is the dry, infodumping ambassador, the Deferi worldview made about as much sense and was conveyed with about as much interest as the Neutral Planet from Futurama, the combat sequences were mostly stock-standard except for the Breen's ability to chain-hold and then AoE DoT-nuke you (yes, yes, 'keep moving blah blah'... even running around like a panicking civilian it happened to me), and Cold Case... OH GODS COLD CASE.

First that monument ruin (speaking of... it's on a planetary surface, near a heavily traveled area. How blind do generations of people have to be? Not to mention the hollow moon...) 'puzzle'... ugh. I am never, ever entering that mission again with less than four human players. Getting bridge officers to line up on the pads was nigh-impossible since they didn't actullaly go where clicked. Same with the bloody squares... if the science officer's dialogue was supposed to be the right pattern, then the clickpoints for the thing are messed up, because the second part of my sequence was North. At least that's where my cursor was.

The rest of that mission... yay bouncing around through sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Good job, Cryptic!
09-27-2010, 01:30 PM
The best thing about the weeklies is.... guess what.... <wait for it> They're Weeklies!

That means you actually have something new to see, do, and talk-about every week, and that's worth a lot and to be honest, as a developer I've got to give Kudos to Cryptic for even attempting such a short development cycle!

That the quality of the Weeklies may be questionable, that's a matter of taste and personal favorite, however, a weekly development cycle also allows for feedback to be gathered faster and hopefully affect the missions in the long run.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-28-2010, 12:29 AM
guess what, i don't agree with a word you said.

The puzzle part with bo's i did it 3 times, worked like a charm each time.
The new enivorments are stunning! really beutiful.

Insted of chopping it down saying "meh, this sucks" come with suggestions and ideas then.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-28-2010, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-child View Post
guess what, i don't agree with a word you said.

The puzzle part with bo's i did it 3 times, worked like a charm each time.
The new enivorments are stunning! really beutiful.

Insted of chopping it down saying "meh, this sucks" come with suggestions and ideas then.
Lucky you. My teammate couldn't even click the lit squares when their captain was standing in the middle, and both of us had to plant out BO destination cursors almost completely off the platform to actually get the BOs in the trigger circles.

Fine, suggestions.
  • Running back and forth pointlessly is... pointless. In Cold Comfort, the medkits are medKITS for a fracking reason. So people can carry them around.
  • Failing missions - not really any fun when it punts you back to the easily rote-memorizable part that you have to be completely braindead to fail. Not the actual failable part, where multiple dialogue options fit within the BOff guidance given (which was itself a very clunky infodump...) but only one is the non-fail answer.
  • In Cold Case, the zigzagging across sector space is likewise boring and pointless - it'd have been a perfect opportunity to invoke at least the illusion of using your bridge for travel like people have been asking for. Have the star chart analysis take place in the ship interior, on the bridge or hey maybe in that engineering lab that serves no purpose.
  • Dialogue. Saying most of it read like an instruction manual would be an insult to good technical writers. Which, by the way, are obviously not employed on the STO team, as the info for the reward items like the cryonic grenade and the transphasic torpedo is completely uninformative, as with many item and skill descriptions.
  • Characters: The only recurring one is the boring, infodump-bearing ambassador. There's a reason why the arc capped off by City on the Edge of Never is considered by many to be a high water mark of the game, and recurring characters to love, hate, or find amusingly annoying play a big part.
  • NPCs with chain-holds and insta-kills while you're chain-held are not challenge. If I wanted to roll the dice to avoid instant death I'd be playing D&D pre 4th ed..

Not that any of this hasn't come up before and not been learned from.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-28-2010, 10:05 AM
I enjoyed the weekly missions. I had no trouble getting my BOs to stand where I wanted them to, solving the puzzle easily. I actually had no trouble completing any of them. Any of the more challenging parts were a welcome relief to the stupidly easy Exploration missions I'm forced to do for Emblems.
While I agree the missions weren't "the second coming", they were a welcome relief to the (mostly) boring missions the Klingons have now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-01-2010, 03:09 AM
Weeklies are something new for mmo's. It gives you something to look foward too. As far as the puzzle part of one mission goes,i just don't understand why people had problems with it. You just set a waypoint on a pad and your bo would run to stand on it.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Weeklies
10-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Weeklies will save this MMO. Said fact it STO was not ready to launch when it did. The normal time for R&D is 2 years plus twice the staff Crypitc has got. They Launched it to soon and they paid for it every scene. It gives players something to do while the finish the MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 8 agreed
10-02-2010, 01:01 PM
They are sorely lacking content and these mini contents releases will appease many.

IMO, they are trash, but it is content....so no matter what people say they are releasing content.

I do love the pulsar effecdt in the sector space....but would love to be able to go to the pulsar to do science research rather then stupid diplomacy and fighting. I am a science officer not a diplpomat or a warrior.

It seems they can appease 2 aspects of the ST universe bit are having issues with the 3rd......SCIENCE.

Combat, diplomacy, and science/exploration are what ST is made of.

Tired of the meaningless PEW PEW and diplomacy is garbage..I would have left the Defari where they stand for lying to the Federation.....and if you are a KLING why would you defend a weaker gov't? Maybe if the Defari had some super technology to explot for the empire....but they get nothing out of it........sigh