Lt. Commander
# 1 owning an armada
09-28-2010, 05:13 AM
just a thought
fleet support, granted at level 43, provides a random ship to help you in battle. there are a few requirements that must be met, but heres my idea,,,
i think that as at some point you should be able to promote your officers beyound commander or whatever the cap is. say you promote one of your officers to captain, and by doing so you have to asign him to his own ship, where you will train his crew, configure weps and equipment and maintain his ship just like you would do your own. now when you are in a fight instead of the fleet support, you call in you own fleet for support, maybe even have their ship permanently along side you for big battles. this way not only do you have the involvement already existing in sto, but now you also have the fleet management aspect where with your rank you can own an armada.
what does everyone think.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-28-2010, 05:26 AM
They mentioned something like this in the works during the Priority One Interview with DStahl. Would be more like having BO's in space similar to how you command them on the ground. However you wouldnt get the option till you hit Fleet Admiral. I think however as you level up through the admiral ranks you get one NPC ship per rank. Also Im sure customization would be alot more limited on your NPC ships than your own just like it is on the ground, only a handful abilites per officer. Either way I hope this makes its way into the game later down the road, would make the Admiral ranks actually feel like your toon is an Admiral.

Fleet Admiral - 4 NPC's
Admiral - 3 NPC's
Vice Admiral - 2 NPC's
Rear Admiral - 1 NPC
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Could be a cool idea similar to what ground-combat is when you play solo. In essence, you would (at RA ranks and above) command a task-force made of several ships, just like we command our Bridge Officers on the ground. Thing is, when we'd play with other team-mates, the Team Leader will decide which team-mate brings which of his/hers NPC ships up to a point where a full team of 5 players will have no NPC's what-so-ever, so in essence we'd always have 5 ships in our team, as we do on the ground.

This may allow Cryptic to present more tactical challenges to us...
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Agreed. It'd be a neat feature. Once you're a fleet admiral, you should be able to promote one or more of your bridge officers to command the other ships you own.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Kind of reminds me of Star Trek Legacy.
A good game that could have been so much more had Bethesda not just been after a quick buck.

Would be pretty awesome to be able to command a few extra ships to fight along ones side.
And can you imagine just how much more epic our current 20 man PvP battles would become?
Players + their 4 ships = 100 ships!!!
That would be epic!