Lt. Commander
# 1 Why is it always five?
09-28-2010, 09:11 AM
It's always five. Scan five things in orbit. Defeat five squadrons. Scan one thing, now scan four more things. Scan two things, then scan three more things. Defeat five groups while scanning five things. Access five computers. Access one computer, then access four more computers...

Occasionally to be different it's get the planet 10 things, which is two groups of five, or kill 20 squadrons in a fleet action, which is four groups of five.

But why is it always five? Why don't we ever beam down and just scan the one thing and beam back up? Or kill just the two ships and leave? Maybe triangulate between only the three computers?

Is it a programming joke? Is it somehow related to a message from the future and we're in a temporal loop? Is the software evolving and attempting to communicate? Did the bean counters determine that the perfect playing experience requires groups of five?
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Because Gul Madred was right.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Some of the deferi daily missions it is 6 squadrons same for some of the b-trans
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-28-2010, 09:20 AM
If you were playing the game on May 5th at EXACTLY 5:55:55 AM you would know the unholy truth behind their obsession with the number 5. :p

Or they were just being incredibly uncreative and decided that for consistency's sake they just hard coded "do 5 of something" into their exploration mission generator.

Hopefully part of their exploration revamp will include abolishing the "do 5" rut and instead focus on providing some variation to what's being done.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
If you were playing the game on May 5th at EXACTLY 5:55:55 AM you would know the unholy truth behind their obsession with the number 5. :p

Or they were just being incredibly uncreative and decided that for consistency's sake they just hard coded "do 5 of something" into their exploration mission generator.

Hopefully part of their exploration revamp will include abolishing the "do 5" rut and instead focus on providing some variation to what's being done.
It's not just the random missions though. I had to diffuse 5 bombs to enter the embassy with Miral Paris. I had to scan 5 defects in the Ferengi's bar. I had to tag 5 crates for transport back. When I'm heading back to my own time, I have to fight 3 ships, and then 2 more appear for when the Enterprise shows up. And there are usually exactly five groups of enemies between me and whatever thing I have to do, like beam down.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
They're trying to break you down and convince you there are only four things to scan, four bombs, four enemy ships...
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-28-2010, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
They're trying to break you down and convince you there are only four things to scan, four bombs, four enemy ships...
HAHAHAHAHAH! TEH TORTURE!
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-28-2010, 09:52 AM
A while ago for patrol missions the magic number was 8.

8!!

sulu: "Hey the Klingons are here, can you kill 8 squadrons of Klingon ships?"
me: "wut?"
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
It's always five. Scan five things in orbit. Defeat five squadrons. Scan one thing, now scan four more things. Scan two things, then scan three more things. Defeat five groups while scanning five things. Access five computers. Access one computer, then access four more computers...

Occasionally to be different it's get the planet 10 things, which is two groups of five, or kill 20 squadrons in a fleet action, which is four groups of five.

But why is it always five? Why don't we ever beam down and just scan the one thing and beam back up? Or kill just the two ships and leave? Maybe triangulate between only the three computers?

Is it a programming joke? Is it somehow related to a message from the future and we're in a temporal loop? Is the software evolving and attempting to communicate? Did the bean counters determine that the perfect playing experience requires groups of five?
There are 5 lights!
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-28-2010, 10:12 AM
in beta most of the patrol missions had you fighting between 7 and 9 groups.

i believe they settled on 5 because it was "about right" in terms of feeling like it was worth the time travelling to it vs getting bored with the missions because it takes too long to complete.

and because thats how many lights there are.