Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." -John F Kennedy

On 27th September 2010, this was posted on youtube and within 24hours, close to 3000people have voted that they like it and there are over 1200 posts on the wall.

Here are the screenshots to prove it:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/...6624c40e_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/...95092803_b.jpg

First image shows the 1st person perspective view, about 300meters away...

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d5a3r94

So what does this mean?

It means at this rate, people's excitement are reaching (if not already reached) boiling point as you read this.

People are super excited at the idea that one is able to see themselves and their beloved ships docked at earthspace dock and even walk up to it and inside of it, explore every single deck.

An actual 1:1 scale of the ship, interiorly and exteriorly would be TOTALLY EPIC!!!

This would take this game up to a whole new level, it would totally raise the stakes for other mmos out there.

MORE PROOF? MORE EVIDENCE?
Look at AVATAR, the FIRST epic GROUNDBREAKING 3D high definition movie, hence it is not surprising that it is the number one movie of all time.

In other words,
If this GROUNDBREAKING 1:1 Ship Scale technology gets implemented as an expansion pack for startrekonline in the near future,
it would set the bar for mmos soooooooooo high that you would need a super telescope to see that bar....

STARTREKONLINE WOULD THEN BECOME THE NUMBER ONE MMO OF ALL TIME.
SECOND TO NONE...

Live Long And Prosper,
Christopher

JFK Moonspeech (Start from time 8:40 for the quote)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouRbkBAOGEw
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-28-2010, 08:39 AM
It is a wonderful MMO thus far, and this would add to it.

It will take a looong time to get to the end and what you suggest is definately an epic adventure.

Cryptic, your fans are pleased with what you have done. Sadly you cannot rest on your laurels, there is still so much more to be done.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Keep in mind that 1:1 ratio is generated in a very low resolution game, where the entire point is how blocky it is. (This is in the good way). To translate over to the resolutions in STO would require too much computing power.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-28-2010, 08:42 AM
While this is very neat, and I would not be opposed to seeing this kind of graphical update in the future, the visuals on STO is currently by far not the largest weakness in the game (in fact, it could be argued to be its greatest strength). I would rather have them focus their energy in actual gameplay, especially the endgame.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
i somehow feel the need to reply with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5sWfhkpE0

makes you sad that the ESD sector just stops behind the moon...
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Absolutly fantastic.

This would indeed be incredible to bring to fruition, yet I pause due to the reality and time needed to make such a thing on such a scale...would be immense.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKillerNacho View Post
While this is very neat, and I would not be opposed to seeing this kind of graphical update in the future, the visuals on STO is currently by far not the largest weakness in the game (in fact, it could be argued to be its greatest strength). I would rather have them focus their energy in actual gameplay, especially the endgame.
The endgame for you is just another beginning. Star Trek is timeless and endless. They really should leave an open ended adventure to bring anticipation for the next season to roll out.

The adventure is out there, still waiting to be uncovered.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-28-2010, 08:46 AM
This would not make STO the #1 mmo of all time, even if it was possible to implement.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-28-2010, 08:48 AM
I wonder how many C points Cryptic would charge for that Enterprise. Maybe I should think in kidneys...
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-28-2010, 08:48 AM
An amazing accomplishment, although it was imported from a separate application instead of built up from scratch in game. Doesn't lessen the effort involved in getting to this stage, of course.

MMOs could learn a lot from Minecraft regardless. There are some excellent crafting mechanics in the Survival game, combining both diverse resources and discovery.

I believe Coderanger is a bit of a Minecraft fan, so it would be nice if the crafting influence rubs off on the Cryptic team.

Also, you may want to edit that second image, just in case it gets reported for having a few swears in it.