Lt. Commander
# 1 NPC Dialog Windows
09-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Well, Dstahl has talked about the hail/dialog windows getting replaced with something new being developed for Neverwinter that better reflects conversation.

What do you want out of it?

Personally, I want blinky lights at the bottom like all the Enterprise viewscreens had. I want my contact to be sitting either in an office or a Captain's chair on a bridge when hailing them; they can be still stock backgrounds but just having a visible background would make a big difference when talking to someone.

As a point of preference, I'd prefer the box to be widescreen with text below it rather than looking like a driver's license or ID card with the picture beside the text.

I'd like a dialogue wheel for choice dialogs similar to Dragonage/Mass Effect. I think it feels less clunky than buttons.

We have a pause feature built into the game. So why not pause the game automatically for hails/popup messages? No more scrambling to close a window or getting caught offguard by a hail in combat.

Now... Pie in the sky? I think that may be text to speech. Let me get another thread started about that though...
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Well, Dstahl has talked about the hail/dialog windows getting replaced with something new being developed for Neverwinter that better reflects conversation.

What do you want out of it?

Personally, I want blinky lights at the bottom like all the Enterprise viewscreens had. I want my contact to be sitting either in an office or a Captain's chair on a bridge when hailing them; they can be still stock backgrounds but just having a visible background would make a big difference when talking to someone.

As a point of preference, I'd prefer the box to be widescreen with text below it rather than looking like a driver's license or ID card with the picture beside the text.

I'd like a dialogue wheel for choice dialogs similar to Dragonage/Mass Effect. I think it feels less clunky than buttons.

We have a pause feature built into the game. So why not pause the game automatically for hails/popup messages? No more scrambling to close a window or getting caught offguard by a hail in combat.

Now... Pie in the sky? I think that may be text to speech. Let me get another thread started about that though...
Not meaning you, but you will probably get someone on here that says, no we have to have content first!!!

Heh, I like it. We need somethng other than the current system. People rarely come up with ideas, they just slam whatever you throw out.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-28-2010, 10:46 AM
I just want it so they don't open in the middle of a fire-fight...
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curii
I just want it so they don't open in the middle of a fire-fight...
Agreed.

A hail should be that...a hail, not an interruption. Have it so that an indicator goes off when a dialog wants to start, and then it is up to the player when they actually want to respond. (Maybe have an option for those who want the dialog to open right away without the indicator.)
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyHawk
Agreed.

A hail should be that...a hail, not an interruption. Have it so that an indicator goes off when a dialog wants to start, and then it is up to the player when they actually want to respond. (Maybe have an option for those who want the dialog to open right away without the indicator.)
I agree but failing that, a game initiated pause would at least make it more palatable than the distraction it can be now.

Y'Know. The game pauses. You get a popup indicating a hail and 5 seconds to decide whether to read it now or wait.