Lt. Commander
# 1 LCARS implementation in game
09-28-2010, 11:12 PM
I recently went on a quest to build a forum signature using LCARS design as a formatting technique. It was an interesting experience where I learned a lot about GUI design and the history of LCARS.

I have always been disappointed in the STO GUI and general implementation of LCARS in the game, but now that I know more about it, I'm seeing it everywhere and realising just how poor a job the designers have done.

LCARS is so iconic to Star Trek that I'm surprised it has been so over-looked by the developers. It has a strongly established set of design rules that could easily be implemented across the entire game, including the interactive elements of the GUI.

At the very, very least, I would've expected the GUI design to be somewhat open to allow third-party mods like World of ******** does. At least then we'd be seeing a dozen and one implementations of 'true' LCARS. Instead we have this neon-blue/red hack that doesn't even attempt to mimick LCARS and any implementation of the format in game is seriously ****-poor, like on the level of an absolute amateur who didn't even bother to read up on what they were doing before they attempted to do it.

If the developers wanted to make the game look and feel much (much) more like a Star Trek game, this is one area that could be easily fixed and implemented. It's not something that would take more than a week or two of developer time and yet the impact it would have would be enormous and would do wonders for overall image of the game in the minds of Star Trek fans.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
There is a mod that will change the LCARS.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-28-2010, 11:23 PM
There are mods (at all) for this game?
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-28-2010, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
There are probably some, however use them at your own risk. I do think LCARs in this game, both on bridges and interiors and the UI could have been better. I really hate the full dull depressing blue that the whole Fed side has, I miss the TNG/DS9 style.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
Yes one for LCARs that I know of. I won't post a link cause I don't want to run afoul of the TOS.

I know others have but I am not gonna take that risk
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-29-2010, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFB
Yes one for LCARs that I know of. I won't post a link cause I don't want to run afoul of the TOS.

I know others have but I am not gonna take that risk
That's why God invented PM's.
Lt. Commander
# 7 Using Mods
09-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Better have your backups ready. Even the guy how wrote them said that.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-29-2010, 02:47 AM
I never said that. STOked did. Backing up your client is an understandable, but unnecessary precaution.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-29-2010, 05:55 AM
LCARS system in-game would be nice, would look and feel more real, Star Trek wise.

Why not something like this aswell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXD7e...layer_embedded
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-29-2010, 07:07 AM
I'll check it out. Would anyone that has the link mind PM'ing me it? Thanks in advance.