Lt. Commander
# 11
09-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman79 View Post
LCARS system in-game would be nice, would look and feel more real, Star Trek wise.

Why not something like this aswell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXD7e...layer_embedded
Although cool, they still screwed up the LCARS design. I wonder why people who create LCARS GUI's don't bother to actually learn how to create LCARS GUI's?
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-29-2010, 09:12 AM
The link is in Pendra's sig.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Pendra, love the mods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys need to try them before you fling the scare tactics. I honestly don't know why the grid removal mod hasn't been implemented into the game officially. It simply makes SS look like space. It looks enormous and feels open and vast. I love flying in SS now without all the clutter.
I actually noticed that some of the nebulas layers are animated last night because I could actually see them clearly without the grid, highways, and lollipop sticks.
After installing the grid removal mod, I am constantly asking myself why the devs keep resisting doing something similar. It is really that much of an improvement to the feel of SS space.

And the yellow double size cursor is a Godsend on our cluttered and oh so blue screens. I haven't lost track of my cursor since I installed the mod.

The LCARS mod is great to. The only beef I have with Pendra's LCARS is that they don'rt have as many animations as the originals.

I don't use the nebula toner downer or the one that removes the blue from ESD, but the ESD in black space and stars as opposed to the blue "sky" that is there now does call to me.

Seriously though, the grid removal and the cursor mods are mandatory imo. The LCARS I can take or leave right now.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Wow, yeah, so much better now. Just a little splash of colour makes a world of difference for me

Pendra, if I could make a tiny, eency, weency request?

If there's any way that you can get rid of the 'flashing' animation on things that you can click on in the game, OMG, I would sacrifice small, furry, cute animals in your name and praise you as a God
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-29-2010, 03:10 PM
I've installed it and must say, it is a vast improvement over the generic blues Cryptic uses. In some cases though, I think some of the colors are a little too vibrant. I'll be keeping this mod in and adding it to the install on my notebook.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-29-2010, 03:52 PM
The current LCARS mod is the result of a quick test aimed to show the possibilities. They lack the proper animations and not paticulary inventive. Problem is I'm not a 2D art guy and I have (again) more projects going on simultaniously.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra37 View Post
The current LCAR mod is the result of a quick test aimed to show the possibilities. They lack the proper animations and not paticulary inventive. Problem is I'm not a 2D art guy and I have (again) more projects going on simultaniously.
This, my friends, is a challenge for the community to embrace!
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra37
They lack the proper animations and not paticulary inventive. Problem is I'm not a 2D art guy and I have (again) more projects going on simultaniously.
They look great. Throw in a couple more repeating animations and maybe tone down some of them just a tad. But, that would be only to push them over the top as they are cool now.

And thanks again for the SS mod. It truely does feel like being let out of the box.
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-30-2010, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
This, my friends, is a challenge for the community to embrace!
It is a challenge indeed . I put a little help up to the site.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
I recently went on a quest to build a forum signature using LCARS design as a formatting technique. It was an interesting experience where I learned a lot about GUI design and the history of LCARS.

I have always been disappointed in the STO GUI and general implementation of LCARS in the game, but now that I know more about it, I'm seeing it everywhere and realising just how poor a job the designers have done.

LCARS is so iconic to Star Trek that I'm surprised it has been so over-looked by the developers. It has a strongly established set of design rules that could easily be implemented across the entire game, including the interactive elements of the GUI.

At the very, very least, I would've expected the GUI design to be somewhat open to allow third-party mods like World of ******** does. At least then we'd be seeing a dozen and one implementations of 'true' LCARS. Instead we have this neon-blue/red hack that doesn't even attempt to mimick LCARS and any implementation of the format in game is seriously ****-poor, like on the level of an absolute amateur who didn't even bother to read up on what they were doing before they attempted to do it.

If the developers wanted to make the game look and feel much (much) more like a Star Trek game, this is one area that could be easily fixed and implemented. It's not something that would take more than a week or two of developer time and yet the impact it would have would be enormous and would do wonders for overall image of the game in the minds of Star Trek fans.
It is great that you opened a manual one day while sitting on a toilet or waiting at a doctors office to learn a new acronym, but maybe in the first line where you use it, you can write what it means so people who do not know what it means, or people who may think your talking about a different acronym will know.