Lt. Commander
# 21
09-30-2010, 07:17 AM
I wonder if the LCARS panels in the game are all blue due to licensing.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klytemnestra
It is great that you opened a manual one day while sitting on a toilet or waiting at a doctors office to learn a new acronym, but maybe in the first line where you use it, you can write what it means so people who do not know what it means, or people who may think your talking about a different acronym will know.
The internet is hard, mmm'kay.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-30-2010, 11:53 AM
We need LCARS...../Signed current layout looks half done (a**ed)
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
We need LCARS...../Signed current layout looks half done (a**ed)
I wouldn't even say it's half done. Cryptic's implementation of LCARS is lucky to be one tenth done at best.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-30-2010, 01:30 PM
AS far as the panel graphics go, (in game) PLEASE Cryptic just add some other colors to the graphics you already have! (Add a little orange, green, and some red.) It can't be that much of a time sink, and would make a huge improvement to the Federation environments.
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-30-2010, 03:13 PM
You do know that Cryptic's LCARS started out with colors? If you check some of the early promo videos, you can spot them. They took their colorful promo design, scaled them down to 1/2 and turned them to blue. The LCARS I have in my mod are made up by those promo textures, which are still in the client. So that mod is 95% Cryptic design.
This also means that the Devs aimed to do colorful LCARS, but were forced to do these low res blue things. Why, you can only speculate.
CBS order? Copyright issues? Some yet unknown engine compromise? or something else?
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra37 View Post
You do know that Cryptic's LCARS started out with colors? If you check some of the early promo videos, you can spot them. They took their colorful promo design, scaled them down to 1/2 and turned them to blue. The LCARS I have in my mod are made up by those promo textures, which are still in the client. So that mod is 95% Cryptic design.
This also means that the Devs aimed to do colorful LCARS, but were forced to do these low res blue things. Why, you can only speculate.
CBS order? Copyright issues? Some yet unknown engine compromise? or something else?
I didn't know they were more colorful early on. That's interesting. I've always wondered if the blue panels were a result of licensing issues. What I don't get is that there is a plethora of LCARS reproductions on the internet that CBS isn't putting a stop to, so I wonder why they'd have a problem with the colorful LCARS being in game. We'll probably never know.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
The internet is hard, mmm'kay.
This was actually funny. I did look up the information on the internet. I was just helping you out with in the future you may want to write articles in a style that defines technical terms. You may know what you are talking about, LCAR acronym is used on other applications other then a fictional mmorpg game. It is also, I believe the lighting system used by aircraft to land on a aircraft carrier.

Even if it is not, it is important in any article to define your usage of terms so that everyone reading the article will know what you mean. There are many definitions and usage for words and acronyms. The reader of the article needs to know that you know what you are talking about to for 'face' validity. Remember establishing norms, validity, and reliability is necessary in any discussion or debate.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 29 Maybe perhaps...
10-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Glory
I didn't know they were more colorful early on. That's interesting. I've always wondered if the blue panels were a result of licensing issues. What I don't get is that there is a plethora of LCARS reproductions on the internet that CBS isn't putting a stop to, so I wonder why they'd have a problem with the colorful LCARS being in game. We'll probably never know.
Instead of calling Cryptic Studios the devil or a bunch of people insensitive to your need for complete accuracy. Perhaps this is only the first step in a long process to give you what you want. To you a player, you have now played with the interiors since July. Why for you, this may seem like a long time. In a development cycle with people who work forty hours a week, like to go home at night to eat or feed the cat, see a movie on the weekend, the development time has not been long.

In the grand scope of things, someone who has enough time to sit around and complain about the colors of the control panel on the bridge that is not functional at the moment or the UI which is the primary interactive mechanism for the game currently in space, certainly has to much spare time on their hands. There are many things that need to happen in the development cycle between today and the day you can press a button on a bridge to do something. However, I think there are more important items in the game they need to address first. What your suggesting for them to do is on step 4,233, and they are only on step 5.

There is good news for you though, if your dream of a LCAR system does not happen today or tomorrow, the sun will still rise the day after that.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klytemnestra
Instead of calling Cryptic Studios the devil or a bunch of people insensitive to your need for complete accuracy. Perhaps this is only the first step in a long process to give you what you want. To you a player, you have now played with the interiors since July. Why for you, this may seem like a long time. In a development cycle with people who work forty hours a week, like to go home at night to eat or feed the cat, see a movie on the weekend, the development time has not been long.

In the grand scope of things, someone who has enough time to sit around and complain about the colors of the control panel on the bridge that is not functional at the moment or the UI which is the primary interactive mechanism for the game currently in space, certainly has to much spare time on their hands. There are many things that need to happen in the development cycle between today and the day you can press a button on a bridge to do something. However, I think there are more important items in the game they need to address first. What your suggesting for them to do is on step 4,233, and they are only on step 5.

There is good news for you though, if your dream of a LCAR system does not happen today or tomorrow, the sun will still rise the day after that.
What are you talking about? I never said anything about Cryptic being the devil or being insensitive to my needs. Nor was I discussing the implementation of an LCARS system in the ship interiors. I was talking about the PANELS that have been in place since launch in star bases (and their need for additional color.) Stop being dramatic and stirring the pot of contention. I happen to work in software development, so your other ranting is not news to me since I experience it first hand, everyday. Also, how are my 3 tiny posts that took all of 5 minutes to write an indication of having too much time on my hands? It's obvious that I'm not the only one who'd appreciate more colors on the LCARS screens since there's a game mod centered around it. I recommend you change your tone. Instead of personal attacks you might want to simply state your opinion on the subject at hand.