Lt. Commander
# 1 The Nebula - Toy or Threat
09-29-2010, 12:52 AM
So with the Nebula with itīs TDG arriving at Tribble - do we have to be aware of that ship with itīs special skill? What are your experiences as I havenīt fought one myself yet.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-29-2010, 01:38 AM
The special skill is a 30s enhancement to sensors and sensor range. Since most ships don't spec into sensors, sensor arrays or run high auxiliary power, the effect for them will be like if the used EP-A I or II. Hence they can spot you on 2-3km. Science captains in science ships can always spot you with buffed sensor scan around 10km, with tachyon grid it will be like 11-12km. Science captains in other ships somewhere around 5-6km with sensor scan.

So really, nothing much will change. It was easy to decloak klingons before with proper tools, it will be easy after. Also, don't expect to see Nebula in every team you face.

If you want to avoid detection while cloak

- rank up skills affection cloaking device (starship engineering training, auxiliary system maintenance, auxiliary system performance)
- change power setting to high aux
- keep distance

This will greatly improve your cloak, which means the ones looking for you, must be closer to you
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Premades: Minor Threat
PUGs: No differences

I did a ton of testing on tribble and the tachyon detection grid enhances the Sensor scan ability of sci officers. With EVERYTHING possible skilled and popped for the test, the max detection range of the ship popping scan was and intermittent 15 km (could only tell I was there for a few moments).

Standard detection range for the average specced sci officer is ~12km for however long scan lasts. For non-sci officers the grid helps them see out to just under 7km.

Also, the tachyon grid is not based on aux or improved by any skill or abilities.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-29-2010, 07:06 AM
How was its "shared" abilty?
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Toy!

The T3 Nebula is no match for my Cruiser! Those Federation Targ-food are still no match for me, Muahhahahaha!

...I hope *gulp*
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-29-2010, 08:19 AM
I played one Tribble PvP match with the grid being used by the opposing Fed ball. It did make a difference...very difficult to battle cloak under fire because every ship in the ball now can see you out to some moderate range. (On the other hand I had swapped in the now-useless RSP for testing instead of PH, so it might not be so bad in practice.)
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
I played one Tribble PvP match with the grid being used by the opposing Fed ball. It did make a difference...very difficult to battle cloak under fire because every ship in the ball now can see you out to some moderate range. (On the other hand I had swapped in the now-useless RSP for testing instead of PH, so it might not be so bad in practice.)
This is mostly where I'm concerned. The Tac-Grid is no threat to any ship other than the BoP and most especially has the potential to be a threat to the most common use of battle cloak - escape. If I get time I'll try to test and post my thoughts as well. But the more people testing this with BoP's the better.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-30-2010, 11:31 AM
It hasn't had an affect on the PVP I've done (though that was limited to only two encounters outside of Kerrat, which has been nice for testing PVP-lite when there is no one in a queue).

One interesting example was I was in a Vo-Quv and was using MSE. Me and two other ships were 11 to 14 km away from the fedball. It had 2 nebulae. It detected nothing. I un-masked, became bait, they flew towards me and my growing cluster of fighters. And the other two cloaked ships did the normal thing. I was bait. Classic bait.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Having made a good attempt to make the Nebula work, I say toy. It is slow, slow, slow. Pretty much every Nebula is going to be 100% predictable and use their Uni slot for an Eng BO.

As to the detection grid, I haven't gotten to give that a serious test, unfortunately, but I don't believe it is dangerous to a BOP that actually flees using evasive, not just battlecloak. A Luna or Intrepid sci captain could give chase to a BOP relatively well and hunt it down, potentially, but the Nebula's turning makes that impossible, unless you are silly and flee directly in front of it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
Having made a good attempt to make the Nebula work, I say toy. It is slow, slow, slow. Pretty much every Nebula is going to be 100% predictable and use their Uni slot for an Eng BO.

As to the detection grid, I haven't gotten to give that a serious test, unfortunately, but I don't believe it is dangerous to a BOP that actually flees using evasive, not just battlecloak. A Luna or Intrepid sci captain could give chase to a BOP relatively well and hunt it down, potentially, but the Nebula's turning makes that impossible, unless you are silly and flee directly in front of it.
My concern with the grid (and I admit to not having had a chance to test it from either side) is not the Nebul chasing you down, that is not the role of the ship, but the grid exposing you. A smart group would utilize the grid to pick off escaping BoP's if the grid actually works.