Lt. Commander
# 21
10-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
I could see maybe bumping up the hull to 30K then and keeping the 125% shields. or bumping the turn rate up to the lowest of the T5 science ships I think that is 9 right?
skilled with 7's except the retrofit at 9. i get just under 34k in hull.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-01-2010, 08:51 PM
After doing some cloak testing on Tribble, the Nebula is definitely a toy, at least on its own. The detection grid power doesn't add much at all to the detection radius of the Nebula. Sensor scan is far more powerful, though it does stack with the grid.

However I wasn't able to see how it changed if the grid buffed allies, so if it does change or multiply the buff somehow, like its implied to do, it may still be somewhat useful. But what I saw of the Nebula on its own was quite unimpressive.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
After doing some cloak testing on Tribble, the Nebula is definitely a toy, at least on its own. The detection grid power doesn't add much at all to the detection radius of the Nebula. Sensor scan is far more powerful, though it does stack with the grid.

However I wasn't able to see how it changed if the grid buffed allies, so if it does change or multiply the buff somehow, like its implied to do, it may still be somewhat useful. But what I saw of the Nebula on its own was quite unimpressive.
Stacking this feedback up against Farktoid's glowing review of the Nebula from September 21 ... before it went onto Tribble:

Quote:
I'd like to chime in here, having had the chance to play around with the Nebula class a bit.

As of this writing, the Nebula is a Science Vessel, with 3 hard points front and 3 back, and stacked with Science consoles. That may be subject to change, but I think it is a good fit.

Why? Because gameplay-wise, the Nebula is a solid support ship. The low-tier version has an impressive scan ability, and the high-tier is able to create a tachyon web amongst nearby ships, which increases stealth detection by a good margin. This is a very effective PVP vessel because it can smoke out cloaked enemies from a wider distance than standard sensor scan, and good timing can shut down a cloak rush before it happens.

This also makes it a high-priority target for teams that use cloak, because if you are able to knock out the Nebula before it uses its ability you are free to use battle cloak more effectively until the Nebula re-enters the fight.

And since the Nebula currently has a universal boff station, there is a large amount of flexibility available. Obviously not as much as a Bird-of-prey, but a skilled Nebula captain will undoubtedly be able to turn fights to his or her advantage by predicting rushes and adjusting accordingly.

And keep in mind that boffs can be traded out during PVP as long as the ship is out of combat, so the amount of flexibility on the Nebula is unparalleled on the Fed side.
Going off of Foxrocks' own testing results from this thread ...

Quote:
So that gives a pretty good picture. The end conclusion was that the detection grid maybe gives you another 1-2km of detection range, while sensor scan remains the best tool, by far, for cloak detection.
So let's recap ...

Fark "hyped" up the Nebula by telling us it was going to be:

- Able to stack science consoles.

Tests show it has less science consoles than every other science ship in the game.

- A beast in PVP because it increases stealth detection by a wide margin.

Tests show that to be hyperbole.

- A very effective PVP vessel because it can smoke out enemies better than sensor scan.

Tests show that to be ... more hyperbole.

- A high priority target for ships that use cloak.

But in the tests, the raptor does a decent job at cloak detection all by itself and my own experiences have shown the cloak tactic still works just fine. Because the grid doesn't go far.

- A large amount of flexibility available.

Whereas tests and building with it on tribble are showing it to not be really very flexible at all.

Just wanted to recap what the devs told us this ship would be ... compared to what tests are showing it to be. And maybe point out that a lot of posters said as much prior to its release on Tribble ... without ever once testing it. (Which is probably because a lot of posters fly the ships currently in-game enough to be able to look at stats and layout and figure out what it plays like).

EDIT: And also, really, for those curious, click the link to Foxrocks' tests. It's good data. And it shows what the Detecting Grid really does ... so you can weigh actual data against the hype that the gimmick was given.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-01-2010, 09:48 PM
That's why I like you Superchum Keep up the good work!
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-02-2010, 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks

It stacks, there were several nebula outside of sol space dock and everyone used it, we had like 11 stacks of it, and the stealth rating raised. But...
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
It stacks, there were several nebula outside of sol space dock and everyone used it, we had like 11 stacks of it, and the stealth rating raised. But...
Exactly...does it really work? I couldn't get any other Feds to help in the tests so I have no idea. Personally I tried a mine layer build in my Nebula and managed stacks of about 30 at ESD, which if that affects stealth detection that much, that could be a pretty serious threat.

But we just don't know at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-02-2010, 12:32 PM
When I tested a Nebula with some help of SVK in Kerrat, I couldn't detect a BoP 4km from me with min Aux. And my Science Captain was fully speced in Sensors and the ship was at Full Aux. So by the time you finally detect a Klingon warship, it will be in the process of decloaking and blasting you to bits.

Like said above Tachyon Grid alone is worthless unless it's stacked with Sensor Scan.