Lt. Commander
# 1 Missing Special FX
09-30-2010, 02:46 AM
Edited the Title to reflect the change of topic and issue. The following post is now pretty much invalid. Don't post your hogg file sizes. ^_^

Hi there,

I have a feeling that the technical issues involving missing sounds and special fx are to do with corrupted pigg/hogg files. The ones located under C:\...\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\Piggs

What I need is some lists of the file sizes of the games main files (hoggs) on your computer so I can check if my files are the right size.

Okay, so here's my list:
  • bins.hogg - 2,523,159 KB
  • bins2.hogg - 65 KB
  • bins3.hogg - 65 KB
  • character.hogg - 65 KB
  • data.hogg - 126,786 KB
  • dynamic.hogg - 18,418 KB
  • exes.hogg 20,516 KB
  • object.hogg - 65 KB
  • sound.hogg - 575,473 KB
  • texture.hogg - 729,898 KB
  • texture2.hogg - 1,053,634 KB
  • texture3.hogg - 603,221 KB

If you want some backstory as to why I want these numbers... (it's a bit tl;dr but I know people will wonder anyway)

I've recently installed STO on my laptop. I had been playing it on my PC, where it ran perfectly. In order to get it on my laptop, I downloaded the client online because I don't have the disk with me where I am now. It took a good day and a half to download the whole game on this connection, and then when it did, I found that firstly STO thought my video card drivers were old and secondly that some hogg files were corrupted, preventing the game from even loading properly. The first problem I duly fixed, the second problem, took the better parts of another 3 days of leaving my laptop downloading and redownloading hogg files. Now I think it had something to do with the fact that I'm on a wireless network, and that my laptop kept getting shut down during a massive mammoth hogg download.

Now I've finally got the game running but I still have some bugs. Firstly there's the one where ground missions just straight up crash. Meh. It seems like this is a long running bug that cryptic are unable to get their heads around to fix. C'est la vie... The second problem I feel I might have some power over. It's that some visual fx simply don't show up in game. My ship doesn't appear to cloak, and tachyon beams drain shields without the bring blue beam showing up, or even the sound effects. I'm now also missing the visual fx for going to warp, so I figure that perhaps this is all something to do with further corrupted hoggs that aren't necessarily game breaking.

What I need is a few test samples and controls, because I have no other way to find out if these files are corrupted. Oh and before you mention it FORCE VERIFY DOES NOT WORK it's the number one tip I get on fixing anything since I've been in contact with any form of support, and for me force verify does as much help fixing these hogg errors as spitting on the screen and giving it a good polish.

So help me out guys!

Post your file sizes, or a screenshot of the folder so I can make a comparison. Or make the comparison yourself. Just need something to help me out here, so I know which files to download *AGAIN* and which ones are fine and dandy.

Okay, cheers!
The Architect
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-30-2010, 04:38 AM
well heres my file sizes, not sure exactly what it means but some of mine are huge compaired to yours yet others are smaller

bins.hogg 2,796,444
bins2.hogg 410,992
bins3.hogg 1,900
character.hogg 65
data.hogg 409,186
dynamic.hogg 15,467
exes.hogg 44,382
object.hogg 65
sound.hogg 593,729
texture.hogg 719,575
texture2.hogg 1,029,389
texture3.hogg 589,090

my guess is either your install is newer than mine, if your realy suspect your hogg files are corrupt in some way delete them all and run a force verify, the game will download all the files again... argh cant just say delete without saying backup the orriginal files first just to be on the safe side :p

you may also want to wait for some others to post their sizes if they do but some of your problems may have other fixes tho, you may want to start off by posting your DXdiag
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-30-2010, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium
not sure exactly what it means
Same. I'm no programmer, but following a train of logic, and without any helpful insight from support, this seems place to start.

Thanks for the feedback Diamond.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-02-2010, 01:12 PM
This is a fairly pointless exercise. Here's some quick background:

A hogg file is an archive containing a whole bunch of other files - a bit like a zip file. Cryptic's update system doesn't involve downloading hogg files - it downloads the individual files, and then the patcher stores them in a hogg file. It's unlikely for any two people to have exactly the same hogg files, since the order in which they're written to the files depends on exactly what order you downloaded the various updates. Even two complete downloads on the same day are not guaranteed to be identical. File sizes can also vary, because of files being moved around inside the hogg and leaving free space gaps.

Now, to address various issues with how star cluster maps work, Cryptic added a "dynamic update" system to this a few months back. This means that files aren't just downloaded by the patcher, they can also be downloaded by the game client itself (whenever you hit a loading screen, it might be downloading more components for the next map). These are then stashed in the hogg files. Mostly it's maps and texture data for the star clusters. So, the hogg files grow as you visit more maps (especially star cluster maps).

A couple of the hogg files don't even have any content which is downloaded by the patcher any more - texture3.hogg for example.

Bottom line, you're unlikely to have hogg files the same size as anybody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect
I have a feeling that the technical issues involving missing sounds and special fx are to do with corrupted pigg/hogg files
Corrupted hogg files pretty much always result in a crash. When that happens, if force verify does not fix it, you should delete the relevant hogg file and let the patcher create a new one (and fetch whatever components it needs).

Missing sounds are usually caused by visual effects not playing. Due to the way the effects are hooked up in Cryptic's engine, a sound only plays if the animation for it also plays.

Missing visual effects are usually caused by the limits set in the video settings - the client will only play a certain number of effects at once, according to those controls. Unfortunately this means that in busy environments, important things like your own weapon effects and sounds can sometimes not play.

(Of course, there are occasionally bugs which cause these things)
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
This is a fairly pointless exercise. Here's some quick background:

A hogg file is an archive containing a whole bunch of other files - a bit like a zip file. Cryptic's update system doesn't involve downloading hogg files - it downloads the individual files, and then the patcher stores them in a hogg file. It's unlikely for any two people to have exactly the same hogg files, since the order in which they're written to the files depends on exactly what order you downloaded the various updates. Even two complete downloads on the same day are not guaranteed to be identical. File sizes can also vary, because of files being moved around inside the hogg and leaving free space gaps.

Now, to address various issues with how star cluster maps work, Cryptic added a "dynamic update" system to this a few months back. This means that files aren't just downloaded by the patcher, they can also be downloaded by the game client itself (whenever you hit a loading screen, it might be downloading more components for the next map). These are then stashed in the hogg files. Mostly it's maps and texture data for the star clusters. So, the hogg files grow as you visit more maps (especially star cluster maps).

A couple of the hogg files don't even have any content which is downloaded by the patcher any more - texture3.hogg for example.

Bottom line, you're unlikely to have hogg files the same size as anybody else.

Corrupted hogg files pretty much always result in a crash. When that happens, if force verify does not fix it, you should delete the relevant hogg file and let the patcher create a new one (and fetch whatever components it needs).

Missing sounds are usually caused by visual effects not playing. Due to the way the effects are hooked up in Cryptic's engine, a sound only plays if the animation for it also plays.

Missing visual effects are usually caused by the limits set in the video settings - the client will only play a certain number of effects at once, according to those controls. Unfortunately this means that in busy environments, important things like your own weapon effects and sounds can sometimes not play.

(Of course, there are occasionally bugs which cause these things)
Miiru. Thank you. That's totally cleared this up for me. Something that 3 support tickets and trawling the forums hasn't been able to do. It's interesting to find out how this stuff works. I can now try new things to try to fix these issues.

Just a follow up question then... is it unlikely that the files inside the hoggs for visual effects could be flat out missing? I hear what you say about things going missing in busy environments but we're not talking about full on combat here, we're talking about sitting in any map, and clicking on the cloaking button.

But anyway, thanks again for the info.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect
Just a follow up question then... is it unlikely that the files inside the hoggs for visual effects could be flat out missing?
That would almost certainly crash the game in a very obvious way.

Quote:
I hear what you say about things going missing in busy environments but we're not talking about full on combat here, we're talking about sitting in any map, and clicking on the cloaking button.
Now that's weird. Just cloaking, or is it other specific effects too?
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
Now that's weird. Just cloaking, or is it other specific effects too?
Let's see... the list of missing FX (including their sounds) as far as I can remember...

- Cloaking
- Tachyon Beam
- Tricorder (Just the little box that sits in your hand.)
- Ship Reactor Explosions
- Vaporisation (Critical Ground Death)
- Various Grenades
- Some Types of Energy Beams and Bolts

...and I know there are others I'm just not remembering.

Support have told me to update my drivers, but they're up to date. Try force verify, derp. Etc etc.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-03-2010, 02:55 PM
three in game settings will affect fx effects

Visual FX Quality - lower the setting less effect. it will also affect some sound files

Framerate Stabilizer
Auto-rate Stabilier

these will affect effect by reducing graphic quailty to maintain an acceptable framerate.
depending on the type of CPU and GPU these could be inplay.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-04-2010, 12:15 AM
When it's hitting that many different effects, you're looking at the engine thinking it didn't have enough resources to play them (and the sounds get dropped just because they're tied to the animations, so this is purely a video issue). Exactly why it's doing that is unclear. Check the settings carefully.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-04-2010, 02:40 AM
Last night I tried raising the Visual FX level to High. Which didn't have an effect, now I'm going to try the Stabilizer Brothers. I'll be back with news.