Lt. Commander
# 11
10-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Visual FX Quality is set to High

Framerate Stabilizer is Off
Auto-rate Stabilizer is Off

Limit Framerate was at 30 due to some previous problems that it seemed to fix, but with that off, still no missing fx...
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Weird. You can try filing a tech support ticket, they might have some more ideas about what could be breaking it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-04-2010, 02:38 PM
The best they can come up with is "Update your Display Drivers". They're as up to date as they can get.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-05-2010, 02:38 AM
Something just occured to me.

If missing FX mean you lose the sound aswell because they're linked with each other in cryptic's engine. Then is the same true of the opposite? If there's a missing sound file for some reason, can you lose the FX?

This only occurred to me just now as I decided to start a new federation character. Getting to the Khitomer, I start talking to Zachary Quinto's EMT, and all of a sudden, hanging game tiem. It seemed to be triggered by his audio...

Or maybe my computer's just protesting at his lame delivery.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-05-2010, 04:29 AM
S TO THE S: SUCCESS

It turns out that these missing FX were linked to the sound files, as soon as I deleted sounds.hogg and downloaded it again, I had all the missing FX return. Tachyon beams have never looked so beautiful.

It was corrupted hogg files after all.

I feel like I should leave some sort of post or report the fix for this for other users, and for cryptic to put it in their support database.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Ugh, makes sense when you realise what's going on. Unlike the video rendering stuff, the audio player doesn't crash the game horribly when the data's messed up. It just gets stuck. So you get a whole bunch of stuck effects (for which the animations have long finished playing, but which can't be released because the sound's stuck) and the game thinks there's too much going on to play new animations.