Lt. Commander
A few days ago I started a new klingon. I'm almost LtC now after spending about 40 hours in T'Ong nebula and doing about half a dozen PvP matches. Here's a breakdown of why this is so incredibly boring:

Break 5 objects missions: 22
average time spent breaking 5 objects: 17 minutes
total time breaking 5 objects: 6.2 hours
-----
Kill 7 enemy ships missions: 14
total ships destroyed: 98
average time killing 7 enemy ships: 12 minutes
total time spent killing 7 enemies: 2.8 hours
-----
destroy 15 buildings missions: 4
average time spent destroying 15 buildings: 5 minutes
total time spent destroying 15 buildings: 20 minutes
-----
Fighting in Space: You have 3-5 skills
Average time per ship fought: 90 seconds
average cool down time of powers: 180 seconds
average number of uses of one button per ship fought: 1
number of buttons pushed in 90 seconds: 3
total time spent shooting ships: 3 hours
total number of buttons pushed while shooting ships: 360
-----
number of buttons pushed so far while making this post: approximately 750

So in the 3 minutes it took to write this post, I have pushed more buttons than I would in 10 hours of playing STO, and 10 hours of STO would only accomplish about 2.5 of the lowest possible levels to gain on Klingon side, leaving 98% of the game ahead of me. Furthermore, those ten hours would consist of only 3-5 buttons over and over and over, very slowly.

=====

I propose a different KIND of "grind"

Make every enemy a boss, make every fight an epic battle. Don't throw more useless enemies that can't do jack to me into a pile and let me crunch on them... give me one epic combat against one semi-intelligent foe and give me a whole level or more for it. Make that one fight take an hour or so, but make it one fight against one genuinely challenging enemy. Soloing 98 federation ships that supposedly contain around 200-1000 crew and up to 5000 passengers each means I just killed 300K people while essentially AFK. Assuming five hundred klingon pilots exist and play for ten hours, that's roughly 150 million dead federation citizens. Assuming those 500 klingons fight every day for a month, that's the entire human population of earth.

Let's take a step back and examine the quadrillions of lives lost since game launch, and get this grind in check. I, for one, am freakin bored of committing genocide against vastly inferior generic foes that don't respond to situations, and just throw themselves in front of the train that is my cannons. Taken into perspective, it's like "The Infected" where it's possible to kill something like four thousand borg before you reach the end boss. The average person's mind can only hold 7 memories at a time. That's 572 times the number of enemies that can possibly be meaningful as an experience.

Please, build some AI, reign in the endless grind, and make ALL battles epic and intense. It will dramatically improve the community, keep people interested in spending money on accounts, the C-store, and so forth... and will mentally engage an audience that is otherwise mostly lulled to sleep every night by the carnage of nonstop mindless slaughter.

Please, and thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Dude, it's spelt MathS
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Umm... I don't know about anyone else but I don't see how anyone could possibly play this game for 10 hours and only gain 2.5 levels.. I consider myself a very casual player and I average a level every hour and a half (and that's with downtime to take care of an infant included).

But I do agree with you that we klingons are some pretty genocidal maniacs
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldor
I'm almost LtC now after spending about 40 hours in T'Ong nebula
Oh God really? You can go to the other Nebulas any time you want, you know. It definitely helps make the grind more bearable, for me anyway, to take turns fighting Feds, Roms, Cards, etc than staying in just one Nebula.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Wish I would have paid more attention, to that "new math" they taught in the 80"s. Kinda like "creation science".

Klingons, set in one area, some pvp. Not exactly a good sample huh? Going to talk smart with math and we should trust your number counts? (remember, science means "here's how anyone can repeat what I did to prove it") and this is what you come up with?

Yeah I'd say bored, not too creative, and maybe you and superlinkage1 dude can get all female captains to worship your 5 million crewed super ships. Each to their own.

PS do you even know what the Quadrillion means, number wise? Even in canon you aren't even close.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Soooo... here we are, not listening to what the poster is SAYING, and just poking holes/fun at what he SAID.
I just WISH that people would have something useful to say before just posting random oral diarreah.

I agree with the concept of less ship encounters. Instead of blowing up 5 groups of fed/klink/rom/cardi ships, it should be more like a mini combination mission:
Enter system, search system for distress signal, find/scan debris, be suddenly attacked/ambushed by ONE, possibly TWO ships, fight for your life against CHALLENGING opponent (Think Kirk vs Khan), disable/blow up enemy, beam survivors into custody/scuttle ship... WIN!!! YAY Then gain like 1/2 to one entire lvl worth of exp! WOO!!! It would be more challenging, but a lot more fulfilling right?
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-02-2010, 12:45 AM
well that was pointless
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Nitpick:

17 minutes per "break 5 object" mission?

My KDF is a commander now and almost all of those maps have a map design that leads you from one object to the next. The minimap may have a dirt path leading betweem object spawns. If you've done 20 surely you can spot them now. If you get the maps with no "help" you should just skip it. I always skip that one with the heavy fog and the cliffs. So that 6 hours should be more like 2

But, you're right. Less grindy is needed. And should be coming, sooner or later.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Nitpick:

My KDF is a commander now and almost all of those maps have a map design that leads you from one object to the next. The minimap may have a dirt path leading betweem object spawns. If you've done 20 surely you can spot them now. If you get the maps with no "help" you should just skip it. I always skip that one with the heavy fog and the cliffs. So that 6 hours should be more like 2

But, you're right. Less grindy is needed. And should be coming, sooner or later.
Dont forget those lovely indoor maps with all the wonderful canisters stacked all over the bloody place... it's always fun to search for a transport inhibitor or other destructable object in those. And if you just 'skip it' then thats just a few more minutes your using up looking for a mission that you do have 'help' on! LOL
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
Nitpick:

I had a "destroy the borg devices" mission where the dirt path was broken and scattered, and one of the devices was way off the path entirely. That one took me forty five minutes to complete and I didn't average it into the totals up there. In fact the totals up there is just from the day I posted this thread and not the previous two days of doing the exact same brainless grind. I finally got to LtC last night so now hopefully the Breen missions will carry me far enough (still a bit grindy if you ask me, "kill 40 enemies" and "mop up 50 weak little ships" is still a grind, but the rewards make it bearable since I'm grinding that instead of fifty times as much regular content) that I'm not gouging my eyes out with a rusty spoon.