Lt. Commander
I have just reactivated and rolled a new Fed toon. I made admiral in closed BETA and then in 26 days after release. Got bored like everyone else and quit.

Having returned, I'm overall enjoying the improvements made to the game. I *love* the advanced space combat settings. It's nice to actuallly have to use your abilities in PvE rather than just mash spacebar for 5 minutes and collect your reward.

However, ground combat, seems to be borked. I could not complete missions of my own level on advanced and finally had to put my tail between my legs and complete/restart them on normal settings (which still led to some incapacitations).

Is there a way to set your difficulty for space separate from ground? Going into exploration missions, you can never be sure where you'll end up fighting.

Also, WTH am I doing wrong in ground combat? I've geared my whole away team up with shields, weapons and armor. I'm assisting on targets. But, some of the 'boss' mobs are two rounding me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-02-2010, 08:57 AM
As a Science Captain, the method I have found best for me is to freeze the boss character and keep him locked down while my team takes out all other combatants one by one. Then, I have hyposprays at the ready and we all gang up on the others. The order which I usually work is healers (highest to lowest rank), science officers, shield-less trash, then lowest to highest rank on everything else - all the while keeping the highest ranked non-medic enemy locked down.

It takes a little used to to juggle between freezing the big bad and assisting my team, but it works well. Just remember - 'Y' is your best friend in ground combat.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-02-2010, 09:09 AM
What is the make up of your away team? I have found that for me at least, it optimal to have 2 science and 2 engineering officers with me with heal and shield abilities, supplemented with offensive skills. Like this I rarely have problems with ground combat on advanced. Also it does sometimes help to pause and move your BOffs around or pull them tight to you in order to keep them from getting separated and killed off one by one.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-02-2010, 09:16 AM
I will try dropping one tactical and adding the second science/healer option and see if it helps. I'm playing tactical captain this time having already done the science version.

And I'm definitely using the Y to assist on targets. I'm perhaps not familiar enough with the enemies to know who's healing... except that I'm sure they'd be the ones with shields.

And I've also been using groundpoints to keep the team close. It just seems, at this rank, that the swordmasters assist train on my healer and he/she is down before we've dropped the first enemy shield.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Forget what everyone will tell you in this thread about your away team, or what you are kit'ed with. It's not you - ITS THE GAME. The ground combat is severely bugged. The difficulty slider ramps up the level of difficulty at an exponential rate that is not suitable to be used.

It's not you - ITS THE GAME.

Sure, people will give you advice on how to "get around it", but that's merely a band-aid. Yep, you could take out the Medics first, take out the Swordmasters first ... blah blah blah. It's not you - IT"S THE GAME.

Take for instance the mission; "City on the Edge of Never". In the first group (on the U.S.S. Kirk) is a mislabled Klingon Officer - he's actually a Dahar Master (good luck with him). It's not bad enough though that you just have him, no, you have 2x Swordmasters and 2x Munitions officers with 2x Warriors .... good luck, once they get into melee range - your hosed. Say it with me now; it's not you - IT"S THE GAME.

I've discussed this in a similar thread, one which I can't get a dev to talk to in (but they can talk about whether or not Capt. Kirk was a TAC or ENG officer?!!?! WTF?!! Cause that matters right, dstahl?); this is a known bug, been around for since the inception of the slider, it scales WRONG. It's not you - IT"S THE GAME.

So, while everyone tells you that you suck and you need to L2P ... just remember, it's not you - IT"S THE GAME. And until Cryptic decides to fix it - ground combat will forever - SUCK.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctana
I will try dropping one tactical and adding the second science/healer option and see if it helps. I'm playing tactical captain this time having already done the science version.

And I'm definitely using the Y to assist on targets. I'm perhaps not familiar enough with the enemies to know who's healing... except that I'm sure they'd be the ones with shields.

And I've also been using groundpoints to keep the team close. It just seems, at this rank, that the swordmasters assist train on my healer and he/she is down before we've dropped the first enemy shield.
Ah, the infamous swordmasters... yes, they are unfortunately well known for their 1-2 shotting you BO/Captain ways... There is a bug in the way damage is calculated on certain mob types where the damage is scaled too high on advanced and elite difficulty settings. It's a known bug, but not one that cryptic has yet been able to fix.

Best piece of advice I can give you is to focus fire on the swordmaster immediately, go as evasive as possible so he doesn't get to hit you often, and pray to the gods themselves that you manage to expose him before he kills you :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-02-2010, 10:40 AM
*lol* thanks guys

I've played tons of MMO's and FPS and I L2P long ago. It sure felt bugged because I had like 20 injuries to heal against even level mobs...

I just wish I knew which missions would be space versus ground so I could adjust the slider appropriately before starting. It doens't seem to me you can change difficulty downward once you've been obliterated on a mission. Or can you do this with restarting the mission?
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-02-2010, 10:44 AM
generally you can leave the mission area, wait a minute or two and lower the difficulty. As long as you choose "continue mission X" you'll restart from the beginning of the section you left (so if you'd completed the space portion of the mission, transported down and died a few times trying to complete the ground portion, you'd leave, change difficulty and then continue the mission as if you'd just beamed down).
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctana
*lol* thanks guys

I've played tons of MMO's and FPS and I L2P long ago. It sure felt bugged because I had like 20 injuries to heal against even level mobs...

I just wish I knew which missions would be space versus ground so I could adjust the slider appropriately before starting. It doens't seem to me you can change difficulty downward once you've been obliterated on a mission. Or can you do this with restarting the mission?
Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=182770

specifically the pic I posted. All those injuries compiled after the FIRST group of Klingon's on that mission. I didn't even list the stacks of injuries my BO's recieved either.....
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKillerSD
Forget what everyone will tell you in this thread about your away team, or what you are kit'ed with. It's not you - ITS THE GAME. The ground combat is severely bugged. The difficulty slider ramps up the level of difficulty at an exponential rate that is not suitable to be used.

It's not you - ITS THE GAME.

Sure, people will give you advice on how to "get around it", but that's merely a band-aid. Yep, you could take out the Medics first, take out the Swordmasters first ... blah blah blah. It's not you - IT"S THE GAME.

Take for instance the mission; "City on the Edge of Never". In the first group (on the U.S.S. Kirk) is a mislabled Klingon Officer - he's actually a Dahar Master (good luck with him). It's not bad enough though that you just have him, no, you have 2x Swordmasters and 2x Munitions officers with 2x Warriors .... good luck, once they get into melee range - your hosed. Say it with me now; it's not you - IT"S THE GAME.

I've discussed this in a similar thread, one which I can't get a dev to talk to in (but they can talk about whether or not Capt. Kirk was a TAC or ENG officer?!!?! WTF?!! Cause that matters right, dstahl?); this is a known bug, been around for since the inception of the slider, it scales WRONG. It's not you - IT"S THE GAME.

So, while everyone tells you that you suck and you need to L2P ... just remember, it's not you - IT"S THE GAME. And until Cryptic decides to fix it - ground combat will forever - SUCK.
This is TRUE. Dstahl himself has told me, personally, in this forum, that the thing to do is put in a ticket everytime this happens and to say in it "Dstahl said to point this out: Ground Enemies are Being Deadly" and that then you should note the MAP (Like BTran Cluster) and the PLACE (Like System Alpha Beta 7984-B) and then they can come in and fix the spawn groups on those maps.

I do not know why they can't do it in one fell swoop. I'm just the messenger. Do with this as you will. It's up to you. You're the one suffering, right?

I made this template for myself but you can use it too:

Ground Mobs are Being Deadly

Star Cluster: B'Tran

Map/Planet: Map or Planet Name goes here.

Bug: NPC characters are doing one-shot-kills on this map.

Difficulty Level: Advanced

!! DStahl requested this info !! --> http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...&postcount=117