Lt. Commander
While none of this is critical by any stretch, I'm thinking these changes could make the game feel a twinge more... well... Star Trek. Not to mention being useful.

The idea is this: Instead of just tapping V and scanning for the nearest interactable object, allow us to choose from a list what kind of item we are scanning for, and point us to the nearest of that.

Example:

Scan for Enemy Ships/Enemy Lifesigns - Will point you to the nearest enemy (preferably showing up on the map for a short time as well.) Obviously it shouldn't find Cloaked enemies, and shouldn't work on Players at all; but for PVE content there are times when finding that last mob can be a bit annoying. More importantly it'd probably also allow the detection of Destructables; though if at all possible I'd like that feature to be split off to it's own setting.

Scan for Anomalies - Just what it sounds like, you scan for the nearest anomaly so you can collect data. (This is where the Klingon "Scan for destructible object" should be.)

Scan for Object - Ideally this would be subdivided by types of objects - stuff like "Scan for non-sentient life" "scan for weapons storage" etc... but that's probably far more work than either the devs or most players want to put up with. So a simple "Find me the nearest interactable non-anomaly object" would be very handy. If possible splitting this into "mission item" and "storage item" would be even better, but I could understand that not being possible.

Scan for Friendly Ships/Sentient Life - finds the nearest friendly NPC ship or non-BO NPC.

===

Obviously in future missions you could also make use of these settings as storytelling devices. Sometimes your sensors or tricorder will simply get no signal, other times they'll get 'wrong' readings - perhaps leading you into an ambush - or simply get signals that are a step behind where what your seeking actually is, making you follow a trail.

So there's a few uses for this beyond just the convenience of being able to specify what you're scanning for.

===

I'd also suggest some overhaul of the scanning effect - the visual pointer thing is a bit weak imo; I'd prefer something a bit more... well that might feel more like a scanner. Perhaps a grid projection from your ship and a highlighting of the target on your screen, map and mini map? I'm not sure precisely; but anything that isn't just a glorified pointer would be nice. Even better would be if it would not only scan the nearest object, but also find anything between you and that object... but I realize that's probably asking a lot.

Anyway, it's not the most important thing ever, but I do feel it would add a more polished, Star Trek feel to the game. Just an idea.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Very Good Suggestions, does this feature even work at all for Klingons? I can't seem to ever get it to work in Space or Ground Missions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthmore
Very Good Suggestions, does this feature even work at all for Klingons? I can't seem to ever get it to work in Space or Ground Missions.
If it works for Feds, then it will work for Klingons. The current scanner works for Klingons, but there are not many glowies Klingon side so it is almost useless.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-02-2010, 08:18 PM
No, it doesn't work for Klingons, even with glowy stuff. As such, I say we make it so it works at all for Klingons before we make it all crazy-awesome for Fed's. I mean, it's been this way for Klingons since launch. It was only this way for a couple of DAYS during open Beta for Feds. WTF?
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I didn't say just do it for Feds; I entirely want it to be this way for both sides. <@.@> I even specifically included bits about Klingons in the OP. In fact I'm sort of counting on the Klingon scanner getting fixed, because the tech needed to do some of this scanning requires the ability to detect Destructable Objects (which are essentially mobs.)

Believe me, this is not intended as a one-sided thing; and IS intended to be a good distance out.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedidethfreak View Post
No, it doesn't work for Klingons, even with glowy stuff. As such, I say we make it so it works at all for Klingons before we make it all crazy-awesome for Fed's. I mean, it's been this way for Klingons since launch. It was only this way for a couple of DAYS during open Beta for Feds. WTF?
Strange. It has always worked for me, but the main problem is that the only time that I have used it in exploration missions are the defeat tribble missions where you have to poison the water supply at the end of the mission. Destructible targets currently don't work with the current system and Klingon content is all destroy movable or immovable targets besides certain portions of the story missions.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-02-2010, 09:22 PM
It is posted around here somewhere that the scanners are the same. They point towards interactive things. Klingons don't have interactive objects they have things to destroy. Thats why they seem to not work on the
Klingon side.

I agree with the OP a rework of scanning would be great but I'm not sure it would be seen as a good expenditure of resources.

Personally I felt they should have used the map they already have as the scanner. They seem to be doing that a bit now in the latest content with the objective circles.

The tricorder could work like the pip boy in the fallout games instead of the gui mini map in the corner. The space map could work well for the ship scanner if it would populate stuff in range rings. Just wrap them in an pretty frame and wallah.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Yes, please, OMG, I so hate anomalies...