Lt. Commander
# 1 Caught short
10-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Caught short

I was wondering “when” Cryptic decides to increase the skill cap level to Fleet Admiral level 61, will we be able to pick up where left off in our training?

Regarding Vice Admiral retraining with Lieutenant Commander Orket in Earth space dock:

Since that I am now effectively “cut off” from all skill point increases for my ship and Vice Admiral* does anyone have any ideas on how to best “cannibalize” my previously learned skills to address lacking skills? Is there a safe way of doing this without much damage?

*Save those I can dole out to my 4 bridge officers that I can use simultaneously, which I am already maxed out on skills for them.

With out a skill cap increase the game leaves me with some narrow options for growth.

(1) “Cannibalize” my previously learned skills to address lacking skills possibly making bad situation even worse.

(2) Adding new bridge officers and training them, 4 of which I can only use simultaneously. Having to switch out officers in mid battle is not recommended.

(3) Training existing bridge officers with new skills but ending up having to sacrifice old skills to get other skills. Not always a good idea.

(4) Going on exploration or any missions that offer emblems etc. At least it’s some type of growth.

(5) Biding my time by going on missions and banking energy credits for the time the skill cap is increased.

(6) Crafting the ships and maybe decking the crew out in new uniforms etc.

Triying my best to make a limited growth situation a bit better
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-04-2010, 03:45 PM
I suggest doing missions to get emblems. This will allow you to practice with your ship and learn your weaknesses and strengths. You can then get bridge officer space abilities that will compensate for your weaknesses and some skills that will make you stronger.

Three Bridge Officer skills you should always have are Tactical Team, Engineering Team, and Science Team.

Once you have gotten the skills to compensate for your weaknesses you can then respec. Using the filter at the top right of the screen you can see which ability is affected by which skill. This will make you stronger and you will only be using the skills that are necessary.

Each level of skills needs a minimum amount of points spent to unlock the next level of skills (you can see this at the top of the screen). I suggest never going over this minimum number. Basically what you want to end up doing is having the most possible skill points for the 5th level of skills (your Admiral skills). So lets say the minimum number of skill points that must be spent to unlock your Admiral skills is 18000 (just made up a number) then that's all you should spend in order to unlock it.

To answer your first question, yes you can continue where you left off. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoe1574 View Post
Caught short

I was wondering “when” Cryptic decides to increase the skill cap level to Fleet Admiral level 61, will we be able to pick up where left off in our training?

Regarding Vice Admiral retraining with Lieutenant Commander Orket in Earth space dock:

Since that I am now effectively “cut off” from all skill point increases for my ship and Vice Admiral* does anyone have any ideas on how to best “cannibalize” my previously learned skills to address lacking skills? Is there a safe way of doing this without much damage?

*Save those I can dole out to my 4 bridge officers that I can use simultaneously, which I am already maxed out on skills for them.

With out a skill cap increase the game leaves me with some narrow options for growth.

(1) “Cannibalize” my previously learned skills to address lacking skills possibly making bad situation even worse.

(2) Adding new bridge officers and training them, 4 of which I can only use simultaneously. Having to switch out officers in mid battle is not recommended.

(3) Training existing bridge officers with new skills but ending up having to sacrifice old skills to get other skills. Not always a good idea.

(4) Going on exploration or any missions that offer emblems etc. At least it’s some type of growth.

(5) Biding my time by going on missions and banking energy credits for the time the skill cap is increased.

(6) Crafting the ships and maybe decking the crew out in new uniforms etc.

Triying my best to make a limited growth situation a bit better
You asked something similar a couple days ago if I remember... but anyway, we all have the same skill cap, and all have to make choices about what skills to take, we can't have them all, so everyone is in the same boat. The skill cap was already raised once, so the answer is yes, you can pick up from where you are at now.

ADD new boffs, train THEM with different skills, you don't have to wipe the skills on ones you already have.. I mentioned training boffs for different enemies in the other post, try that. Don't limit yourself to one setup, and in PVE it is very easy to swap boffs between battle groups, it may be a bit harder to do in PVP but it can be done.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Thank you all. :)
10-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Rest assured all of the suggestions I have received are now being carefully studied and will soon put in to action. When you are used to playing one way for so long it takes a while to adjust to a new way . I thank you both again.