Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
10-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Am I missing something? People are talking about mounting cannons on cruisers. I thought only escorts could have cannons.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
10-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT-0R13
Am I missing something? People are talking about mounting cannons on cruisers. I thought only escorts could have cannons.
All ships can mount 'single' cannons (i.e. not DC or DHC, just 'cannon'). And all ships can mount turrets, which are cannons.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
10-06-2010, 11:14 AM
That clears it up, thanks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
10-06-2010, 12:40 PM
This is what I have on my fleet escort. Works well enough for me

3x Phaser Dual Cannons Mk X
1x TriCobalt Torpedo Launcer Mk X
3x Phaser Turret Mk X
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
10-06-2010, 07:31 PM
aww cool! thanks, wasn't sure what turrets were classified
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
10-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhansWrath
well no ones ever been killed by an all turret cruiser in pvp, i can tell you that hehe. its hard enough to kill with dual cannons and beams and torps, let alone an all turret ship. although that being said its my engineer in a battlecruiser, so he doesnt have attack patterns to buff damage, just an unbelievably strong tank with 125 weapon 125 shield 100 engine and 125 aux power up most of the time (note only the engine and aux spend any time below that)
Not true, I ran an all-turret cruiser for about a week an racked up a pretty impressive number of escort kills. Most escorts expect to limit cruiser dps by staying out of the broadside. Not really possible with a turret boat.

FOMM + APA + CRF (and maybe GDF and tac team too) will shred an escort pretty quickly. And no amount of ducking and weaving will stop it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
10-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heskolt
Not true, I ran an all-turret cruiser for about a week an racked up a pretty impressive number of escort kills. Most escorts expect to limit cruiser dps by staying out of the broadside. Not really possible with a turret boat.

FOMM + APA + CRF (and maybe GDF and tac team too) will shred an escort pretty quickly. And no amount of ducking and weaving will stop it.
Are you talking about PvP, or PvE escort kills with all-Turrent builds?

PvE easy escort kills i would understand, but wouldn't PvP players do something to counter all-Turrent Builds?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
10-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0qj View Post
Are you talking about PvP, or PvE escort kills with all-Turrent builds?

PvE easy escort kills i would understand, but wouldn't PvP players do something to counter all-Turrent Builds?
Yea, its called evading and getting out of range. Or a handy subnuke. Problem with loading up all those buffs at once is you got nothing left once they go into cool down. And cruisers lack the tac slots to chain up powers to fill in the off times.

And once those buffs drop a good escort just needs to load up their secondary chain of powers and go info for the kill while the cruiser is reloading.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
10-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Meow, for me it's also a teaming issue. If you are in a team of five with let's say two escorts, two science vessels and one cruiser ... the cruiser needs to help the others in surviving, not in damage dealing ... that's the two escort's jobs, while the science vessels cast spells on the enemy fleet and the cruiser keeps them alive, by doing moderate damage over time (maybe even as much as the escorts, just not as fast as them).

What I want to say is that the escorts meowst likely use turrets and cannons, while the bigger ships should canon-wise (Trek canon, not cannon lol) use beams or dual beam banks and torpedoes ... if you want mines as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
10-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErisTheVorta View Post
Meow, for me it's also a teaming issue. If you are in a team of five with let's say two escorts, two science vessels and one cruiser ... the cruiser needs to help the others in surviving, not in damage dealing ... that's the two escort's jobs, while the science vessels cast spells on the enemy fleet and the cruiser keeps them alive, by doing moderate damage over time (maybe even as much as the escorts, just not as fast as them).

What I want to say is that the escorts meowst likely use turrets and cannons, while the bigger ships should canon-wise (Trek canon, not cannon lol) use beams or dual beam banks and torpedoes ... if you want mines as well.
I think on the contrary that it is a good idea to come up with unexpected skills and weapon configurations, especially when you are into PvP.

People tend to expect that cruisers will be like that and do that and always are prepared and trained to handle just that... Not saying that "classical" configuration and optimizations are bad ( they have proven their worth after all ) but bringing a different variant or hybrid cruiser in the mix along other cruisers can bring an element of surprise and versatility that could shift the momentum toward your team.

A full turret/cannon cruiser cruising along a pack of three other classic beam boats certainly can enhance the overall capabilities of the group. Like in real life, all battleships were not designed the same, some had different perks. Some were armed more to defend against air attacks while some were armed to deal with other specific situations.

I am pretty sure that an all turret boat that uses Rapid Fire, Scatter shot and Attack Patterns can be of some use in a group.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 PM.