Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
10-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Might be an idea for cryptic to permit us players to create our own type of chat system lets take RP for instance, you could make up a dedicated chat system for the spercific use of roll playing.
This would be hellacoo. I know it would get spammed but a universal chat strictly dedicated to game Q&A would nice too.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
You make some excellent points.

I would bring forth the motion, however, that there is no need for a dedicated RP server.
This is one case when STO's instancing may work for us rather than against us.

Simply provide players with the option, in their privacy/chat/friend settings to check "Enter RP Instance/Chat"
When this box is enabled the following happens;
*You enter the same old sector space as everyone, but enter an RP channel connected to your sector block rather than a global one
*In systems or on Starbases/social areas you enter an instance specifically flagged for RP (if one exists) or if not one is started and you enter it.

Within the RP channel;
*no OOC is allowed.
*Players can be reported and punished for OOC in the RP channel.
Within RP Instances;
*Uniforms are limited to a cannon selection and cannon colors.
*If your uniform does not fit the bill, it is temporarily switched. If its just a color issue your class provides the color. If it is a uniform issue, you are temporarily switched to a default time period uniform.
*Anyone with a copyright infringement name or chat-room name is prevented from even entering the instance.
*Players can legally be reported for breaking the RP atmosphere through chat-speak etc.
I'm assuming there would be a way for people to play non Starfleet/KDF types (wearing an off duty outfit perhaps)

~D
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduckie
Needed to be said again.I made my own chat channel with all the ducks I could find ingame.

Lots of quacking in there.
Hope that's not Oregon Ducks....

You could start a Civil War!

Lt. Commander
# 14
10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
I would bring forth the motion, however, that there is no need for a dedicated RP server.
I would love to see this... But it's not quite realistic.

Cryptic does not have anywhere near the manpower required to enforce those rules. It would require 2-3 GM's on 24/7 to enforce those rules. Cryptic quite simply can't swing that kind of support I don't think.

The only option would be making some players moderators, but that doesn't seem to fly in MMO's. I suppose to much risk of someone abusing the power or someone being accused of it anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruegirl View Post

The reason i bring this up, I just got out of a conversation with someone in ESD, they immediately go on to berate me about not making VA in a week, then ignore me and say "I don't belong in the game" when I have the *AUDACITY* to mention I think roleplaying is more important then XP.

I'msorry to hear that. Unfortunately there are a-holes in every game.
Possibly the idea of a seperate RP chat is a good one? Or maybe just RP instances?
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Just got one quick point, I'm in favor of RP instances, but not in favor of uniform restrictions within them, mainly because I'm playing a "Rogue officer" who wouldn't be in uniform anyhow since she works independent of starfleet.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I haven't seen too much of that actually. Playing my low level alts, I excepted to have some VA (probably someone new who leveled in a week like the OP said) come up to me and say "UR a NooB," but I don't recall that ever happening to me.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-05-2010, 09:13 PM
RP servers aren't going to happen so let's get realistic.

What could be implemented is a roleplaying tag on characters. This tag is, by default, turned off. However, if you wish it, you simply turn it on and from that point on your character is tagged as participating within the structure of a roleplaying environment.

A character that is voluntarily tagged as a roleplayer only sees other people who are similarly tagged, and everyone who is tagged shares the same instances. Therefore, if you're tagged, you go through sector space only seeing other tagged members. When you zone in to ESD, you zone into the roleplaying ESD.

When tagged you also have the ability to report someone for not conforming to an agreed upon set of standards that Cryptic issues as a guideline. People who get multiple infractions in a very short amount of time, will immediately be zoned out of roleplaying instances and untagged. This is a temporary lock-out that lasts, say, half an hour. If you get several temporary lock-outs then you become banned from roleplaying until a Cryptic GM can assess your case. Every time a person is locked out, a log of the event, the reports of the players (they'd have to provide a text explanation as to why they reported the person) and any text the player typed is also recorded within five or ten minutes prior to the lock-out so that GM's can quickly assess whether a person deserves the perma ban or not.

This won't stop ass-hats from spoiling RP, but it will give those who prefer RP the means to police their own environment without Cryptic having to spend much in the way of resources. It also won't stop ass-hats from locking people out simply because they don't like them, but no system is perfect and this is the only way I can conceive of a system realistically being implemented.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:

Simply provide players with the option, in their privacy/chat/friend settings to check "Enter RP Instance/Chat"
When this box is enabled the following happens;....

*Uniforms are limited to a cannon selection and cannon colors.
*If your uniform does not fit the bill, it is temporarily switched. If its just a color issue your class provides the color. If it is a uniform issue, you are temporarily switched to a default time period uniform.
*Anyone with a copyright infringement name or chat-room name is prevented from even entering the instance.
*Players can legally be reported for breaking the RP atmosphere through chat-speak etc.
Great idea, 2 issues I have:

1: Uniforms. What shade of yellow is "canon?" What shade of red? Which color configuration is "canon?" Do we follow Blackavaar's guide to colors? Can I have a white & yellow engineering uniform, or does it have to be black and yellow? What if I have a group of people that want to RP 23rd century characters - how will the server choose a "time period" uniform?

Essentially, I would suggest allowing reporting of uniforms as well, rather than having the game force changes. And if it did force changes, just have it show the armor you're wearing, since that avoids the questions I'm asking.

2: Some things take OOC comments to set up. Would there be any ((Out of C.)) comments allowed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
What could be implemented is a roleplaying tag on characters. This tag is, by default, turned off. However, if you wish it, you simply turn it on and from that point on your character is tagged as participating within the structure of a roleplaying environment.
This is a great idea as well, as long as it still allows for teams and fleet mates to have precedence over which instance you go to (in the case that you decide to join a PuG or something, or your fleet is pretty light on the RP, but you like them, but you still want to RP a bit heavily).
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-15-2010, 02:21 PM
I like the idea of RP instances, but I don't believe it should be used to enforce someone's idea of what canon is, especially as there seems to be a lot of different interpretations of what is canon!

What it should be used for is like the example of optional RP tagging, but leaves everything else optional, too.

I say this because there were lots of uniform variations even within the TV series (all of them!) and because there's really no good way to autofilter out odd names in a game where many of the characters aren't even human.

RP tagging should be on the honor system. Most non-RP'ers would never bother with it. You always have the option to ignore those who ignore STO RP and to kick non-RP'ers off your team in a mission instance, right?

Trying to enforce canon too strictly would actually stifle the individuality that makes RP fun. I realize there are lots of abuses of the uniform customization in this regard, but that leeway really does need to exist in a Star Trek world. For the most part, the game does keep the dress code limited to a certain extent and it provides for some truly alien-looking characters.