Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
10-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
especially as there seems to be a lot of different interpretations of what is canon!
There is no interpretation of what canon is, the very meaning of the word means there's no room for interpretation. In this case canon is what ever CBS says it is.

That doesn't mean STO sticks 100% to canon, or needs to... But there is no room for interpenetration of what is or is not canon for Star Trek.

But I agree we shouldn't try to enforce canon if there was some sort of RP flag or something. Cryptic won't do it, couldn't do it really, even if they wanted to. So the best thing to do is simply except that not everyone will be wearing what we might consider to be the canon uniform.

Names also are going to be impossible to enforce for much the same reason.

In WoW they have RP servers, and while you might see more RP there then elsewhere, the rules they listed for them was never enforced by Blizzard.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-15-2010, 03:49 PM
It is sad to see posts where the playerbase stands divived, but this is nothing new to the mmo world.

To the OP, I myself have been flamed, called several names, and even had my honesty questioned on these very forums.

As my freinds and others were just as fast to pat me on the back or throw me a well said in Private chat.

I know there are fleets in this game that would embrace a new member such as yourself , just look over the fleet directory and find one who suits ya
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
RP servers aren't going to happen so let's get realistic.

What could be implemented is a roleplaying tag on characters. This tag is, by default, turned off. However, if you wish it, you simply turn it on and from that point on your character is tagged as participating within the structure of a roleplaying environment.

A character that is voluntarily tagged as a roleplayer only sees other people who are similarly tagged, and everyone who is tagged shares the same instances. Therefore, if you're tagged, you go through sector space only seeing other tagged members. When you zone in to ESD, you zone into the roleplaying ESD.

When tagged you also have the ability to report someone for not conforming to an agreed upon set of standards that Cryptic issues as a guideline. People who get multiple infractions in a very short amount of time, will immediately be zoned out of roleplaying instances and untagged. This is a temporary lock-out that lasts, say, half an hour. If you get several temporary lock-outs then you become banned from roleplaying until a Cryptic GM can assess your case. Every time a person is locked out, a log of the event, the reports of the players (they'd have to provide a text explanation as to why they reported the person) and any text the player typed is also recorded within five or ten minutes prior to the lock-out so that GM's can quickly assess whether a person deserves the perma ban or not.

This won't stop ass-hats from spoiling RP, but it will give those who prefer RP the means to police their own environment without Cryptic having to spend much in the way of resources. It also won't stop ass-hats from locking people out simply because they don't like them, but no system is perfect and this is the only way I can conceive of a system realistically being implemented.
this is a good idea, though I prefer the idea of a specific shard simply having the (RP) designation next to it. less work for Cryptic, and for those who attempt to disrupt the RP shard, simply ignore them using the ingame ignore feature.

oh, and Cryptic condensing social shards.
Lt. Commander
# 24 We don't need an RP server.
10-15-2010, 10:21 PM
We need a RIGHT CLICK > Flag As Attention Troll feature for global chat, similar to how we can flag spammers.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-15-2010, 10:41 PM
to be honest, while I completely agree that RPers deserve some respect, most of these suggestions are entirely against the spirit of trek. Personally I think RPers add to the ambiance of the game, a lot like the NPC convos. And I appreciate that most RPers use Local chat for their sims, so if it gets annoying I can just change instance or move out of "earshot" I wouldn't be against a separate RP channel, but I don't think you need an RP server, or even RP flagged zones, and especially not ones where canon is so strictly enforced. If someone is bothering you, ignore them.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Hello,

I agree with those that suggest the use of in-game tools to achieve the desired effect.

You can control your chat experience.

You can hide random Captain names, to eliminate Captain Kung, of the F.U. Confederacy.

You can ignore anyone who sends unwanted chats.

You can form fleets and teams with Rpers.

These are all things you want to do. Rather than a one-click solution, you may need to click three or four times.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Op has some good points, but a little to nice about it.

As I have seen MMO's have 2 types of players:

The first is open to new things, might RP occasionally and generally gets along with everyone except..

The second is basically a rabid troll who has just finished ruining some other MMO and like the desease they are must move on to this one to make everyone else miserable.

See Star Fleet Dental on Youtube for coaberation.

Separate playable factions was the first mistake, overoptimizing klingon ships for PvP was the second.

Adjusting the chats will only make these degenerates work harder to get to you.

Primary Solution: Remove Klingons as a playable faction. Want to be a Klingon still? They are available as a Fed character.

PvP: Just get rid of it.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukiddingme
We need a RIGHT CLICK > Flag As Attention Troll feature for global chat, similar to how we can flag spammers.
In the off-chance you are not being sarcastic, This is an unrealistic solution. Unfortunately, such a set-up has a HUGE potential for abuse (I'm not kidding, people will use this to grief you just because they can, and then you'll have to deal with customer service in order to undo what was done to you.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAdalberto
Hello,

I agree with those that suggest the use of in-game tools to achieve the desired effect.

You can control your chat experience.

You can hide random Captain names, to eliminate Captain Kung, of the F.U. Confederacy.

You can ignore anyone who sends unwanted chats.

You can form fleets and teams with Rpers.

These are all things you want to do. Rather than a one-click solution, you may need to click three or four times.
Adalberto has the right idea. In an environment where everyone has access to everyone else there is no getting around the jerks, and the more people in the game, the more jerks you will have to put up with. Your best bet is to seek out other like minded individuals and/or join/create an RP guild, and put those more creatively-challenged saps on ignore.

I don't believe that anything you can suggest to segregate the populace of this game will in any way, shape or form help the game as a whole to evolve in any positive way.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Quote:
"Primary Solution: Remove Klingons as a playable faction. Want to be a Klingon still? They are available as a Fed character.
PvP: Just get rid of it."

Hello,

I do not think removing my preferred part of the game is a good solution. Especially since the only roleplaying I've found so far is in the Klingon section. Suggesting the removal of a faction is not constructive.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-16-2010, 09:28 AM
How about a completely separated PvP orientated section of the game walled off from those who aren't interested in PvP with no connections between these sections at all?

Or even better 3 separate games!

1) Star Trek Online the Series, basically ships behaving like the ones featured in the Movies and TV shows.

2) World of Star Trekcraft where science ships reign supreme using sneaky tricks to one up each other and stuff.

3) Klingon Trek where Klingons can PvP everywhere! Blasting those neubies before they can even earn their ships!

Then Cryptic can compare sunscribers and cut the games making the least money.