Lt. Commander
The crew at OutpostGamez talked to Executive Producer Dan Stahl about our upcoming user-generated content project and more. Give the interview a read here.

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
So far, so good. I wish there was more to read about the UGC tool-set, but I doubt there's much that we're allowed to know right now. I'll just do what I've done before and assume we'll get something more involved than what CoH Mission Architect brought to the table.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Well then I guess, keep on keeping on till April.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-05-2010, 01:11 PM
no added Ship Interrior functionality until at least Season 4 or 5?

bummer...
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Nice article; some good info in it. I'm really looking forward to the UGCE, along with the Fleet and Sector Space updates.

It's a shame that no further ship interior updates are planned until Season 4 in April, though.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-05-2010, 03:23 PM
There is something that worries me slightly, lots of things seem to get started but not finished, they are dropped in favour of the next thing that causes uproar on the forums.

For example there where complaints about end game content, the STF started being developed, once it was discovered that people where not playing them in their current format they where dropped instead of having the causes of concern addressed.
Crafting in this MMO is the worst!!!....We hear you, we will fix this.....so work started on a Crafting Revamp!!, But the revamp turned into something more akin to putting glitter on a t*rd (sorry but it did)

Next people where complaining about the lack of PvE on the KDF faction (personally i preferred it when the KDF where PvP only but pfft..) So PvE content started to be designed, until, yup you guessed it, the wind shifted again, this time to Ship Interiors, so low and behold they got proiority, but when people discovered that there was next to no customisation or things to do, and that all the interiors did was serve to remind us how ridiculously out of proportion interiors are in this game the fickle attention of the forums moved to UGC, so now the UGC engine is the priority and the tools will soon be available, whilst all the above seems to have fallen by the wayside.

The weekly episodes are great, they have been a huge success, and by all accounts they have served to bolster the game, but, there does seem to be somewhat of a meandering quality to STOs direction.

Sitting in Chairs is being worked on, now "low priority as we have far more urgent requests for the animators and tech-art developers, but itís something that we will get to eventually"

Ship Interiors, this is just the start, the tip of the iceberg......dumped until April next year at least!

KDF PvE: plans where to bring the KDF up to par with the Feds.....uTurn, we arent going to bring them up to par with the feds but all future content will include them (heads up, you havent even included the KDF on the main sites ship page, there isnt even a KDF option! and thats been there since before day 1)

Sector Space......you said it yourself "In the meantime, we will be making some visual changes to Sector Space to improve the usability and look and feel of flying through space." Another bandaid! A temporary fix to appease the forums loudest. Pleeeeeease just fix something instead of throwing glitter on it and moving on to the next item.

Seriously guys, please stop dilly dallying, just pick one area and work on it until its finished and polished to a high shine, then move on to the next one, dont apply a bandaid to appease us whiny forum members.
Finish the UGC engine, add everything it needs, dont release a semi beta version and promise to expand on it later. Once you have put that in, pick up something else like ship interiors and work on that until its finished and polished to a high shine etc

Oh and PS, for gods sake please have the UGC content released in the "format" of Holo novels, the day we start getting UGC "real world" missions is the day STO starts to lose credibility. If they are released via our ships holodeck you can start an economy for extra programs (custom packs such as props etc much like Little Big Planet). People already complain about "loss of immersion, whats it gonna be like when we are able to do "real world" UGC missions to fly to planet Bobbiton and make first contact with the Bobbits chieftain Frobbo and help him take is all powerful Bracelet to the volcano of death etc

Holonovels is the way to go.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
So far, so good. I wish there was more to read about the UGC tool-set, but I doubt there's much that we're allowed to know right now. I'll just do what I've done before and assume we'll get something more involved than what CoH Mission Architect brought to the table.
Thank you, we want to inform you all as well that we have an very detailed oriented interview that will be released soon in regards to all things related to UGC. Our hope is that it will answer many of the unanswered questions.

Again, we at OPG want to thank you all for reading our article Q&A. If anyone is interested in submitting an question, please pm me personally with your question and it will show up in our next Q&A. Though look out for the upcoming UGC Q&A, which should be soon.

Note: As we too are disappointed by sum of the answers we received, we do realize that they are also limited in some fashions so i think we should all give it time and things will come about. As i see Dan Stahl being at the helm is on the right track and has a solid vision of things to come.

Cheers,

Acidrain
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-05-2010, 07:54 PM
sounds good

a question: I think it wouldn't be allowed to create only-germanspeaking missions, therefore... would it be possible to localize our mission-dialogs?
Lt. Commander
# 9 UGC, etc.
10-05-2010, 09:51 PM
If implemented properly, UGC could be the single greatest feature of STO next to the ship combat. (Let's face it: if ship combat currently sucked, very few of us would still be lingering around!)

I've been looking forward to UGC ever since it was first hinted at, and have several storylines in mind. I just hope I'm able to realize them in the way I'd like to, and not have to compromise away all the finer points in order to accomodate the tools supplied.

I am very, VERY glad to read there will be some kind of rating and approval system, and the ability for Cryptari to remove any trash that ends up on the mission list. If we are able to rate and/or review (preferably both) every UGC mission for other players to see, (and vote on removing the very bad or offensive ones,) it will keep the UGC top-quality and brimming with excellent stories and missions.

Dissapointing to hear that any ship interior functionality has been pushed back, I so long for something to do on that ship besides swap items off a very few shelves. If this delay furthers the release of UGC, however, then I'll be patient.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie0854
Oh and PS, for gods sake please have the UGC content released in the "format" of Holo novels, the day we start getting UGC "real world" missions is the day STO starts to lose credibility. If they are released via our ships holodeck you can start an economy for extra programs (custom packs such as props etc much like Little Big Planet). People already complain about "loss of immersion, whats it gonna be like when we are able to do "real world" UGC missions to fly to planet Bobbiton and make first contact with the Bobbits chieftain Frobbo and help him take is all powerful Bracelet to the volcano of death etc

Holonovels is the way to go.
Although I like the idea of Holonovels, I think that it is more a foundation then a solution. As a foundation it superb and should be the place all new UGC should end up. But with the ranking system that Cryptic is implementing where we get to rank each UGC mission I suggest that those that gets high rankings should be moved from the Holodeck in to the "real" world.

But I also hope that the ranking system comes with more then just a rate this mission from 1-10 setting but also requires you to write a comment to submit the rating. That way if some one have one reason for not liking a UGC mission and the creator of that mission can learn what it is, they may be able to do a better mission next time. But it would need a report function as putting in a text field opens for the possibility for stupid and hateful comments as well. Or maybe a reversed rating system for those who have rated.

So if I rate a mission and I'm not that happy about one aspect of the mission and in my 5/10 rating writes down what might/should be changed and the creator of the mission thinks this was a good rating as it will improve their mission they can rate my rating as a 10/10. Then we will get a sense of who out of all the players out there are good at rating and worth listening to when it comes to which UGC missions are good or bad.