Lt. Commander
# 21
10-06-2010, 02:46 PM
I was looking forward to UGC, but it's not going to be the panacea that dstahl seems to think it is. It's certainly not going to fix the problems being shoved to the back burner so they can try to get this done.

'We're doing this.... and that... and that thing over there... oh yeah, and those things too.' Meanwhile one thing gets done and the rest gets forgotten. This team has absolutely no focus.

Account canceled as of today. This is one Klingon who doesn't want monster play.
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie0854
The majority of people want the UGC to be released with a Holo novel format and have been saying so on the forums, but as far as i can tell there has been no indication that the devs have paid any attention to this.

Im concerned that if this is new project blows up in their faces through not listening to their player base, that it will get dropped and left in a half finished state in favour of some new project much in the same way so many others have.
While i can understand your position, you have to realize that the devs will release what they can and add on other areas. Just as you have stated that it is something the forums have indicated, iam not entirely against it but it seems as if you are indicating it as a furthering Role Playing side of what many within STO do on a daily bases if iam not mistaken? I welcome such things as holodeck novels, however they will need to release an base in which is the UGC, iam sure that the feature for holodeck novels will come in the near future as assets will have to be created, then even if they aren't in there people are still going to complain.

How do you know they arent listening to the player base? Some within the player base might be indicating other things, just as some have indicated that perhaps they should follow what needs to be done and stick to it. Sometimes a community is its worse enemy in regards to what is being suggested or assumed that the majority want.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidrain View Post
While i can understand your position, you have to realize that the devs will release what they can and add on other areas. Just as you have stated that it is something the forums have indicated, iam not entirely against it but it seems as if you are indicating it as a furthering Role Playing side of what many within STO do on a daily bases if iam not mistaken? I welcome such things as holodeck novels, however they will need to release an base in which is the UGC, iam sure that the feature for holodeck novels will come in the near future as assets will have to be created, then even if they aren't in there people are still going to complain.

How do you know they arent listening to the player base? Some within the player base might be indicating other things, just as some have indicated that perhaps they should follow what needs to be done and stick to it. Sometimes a community is its worse enemy in regards to what is being suggested or assumed that the majority want.
Its not so much as a Role Playing tool that im hoping that the devs listen to the forums and have the UGC set in the holonovel, Its more of convenient canon way of ensuring the integrity of the game, you see if someone created a UGC Mission emulating the latest teen vampire movie or tv series and these missions are, like has been stated by the devs, given to you via the Remote Contacts system the it will detract from the IP, it will trivialise the universe that Cryptic has created, where if the same missions where presented to you in the format of a holonovel, any idiotic UGC missions can instantly be written off as the work of a disturbed holo-novelist.

There are many people who have stated "immersion" as a counter for all sorts of arguments, from fed cloaks, open world pvp and enterprise Js, ive always brushed that off as a easy counter to an argument they are unable to fight, but the minute i get a hail from starfleet requesting me to fly to some planet assist the "A-Team" take down some local baddies, or im ordered to travel to "Bandora", the home of the 10ft tall blue cat like tree loving "Ma'vi" I will start screaming "Immersion" all over the forums.

Plus as ive stated elsewhere, if it is in the holonovel format then themed custom packs (additional holographic subroutines or whatever) can be released or awarded via missions. ie Captain Proton packs, or Wild West Packs, these would give you additional options for your holonovels, hell if you want to totally rip off LBP you can datechips drop from mobs etc which give you an extra item ie prop or costume for use in your novels, this I think would be a fantastic addition. Hell stick a pack or two on the cstore and i'll snap em up!
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Its more of convenient canon way of ensuring the integrity of the game, you see if someone created a UGC Mission emulating the latest teen vampire movie or tv series and these missions are, like has been stated by the devs, given to you via the Remote Contacts system the it will detract from the IP, it will trivialise the universe that Cryptic has created, where if the same missions where presented to you in the format of a holonovel, any idiotic UGC missions can instantly be written off as the work of a disturbed holo-novelist.
Actually, they will be clearly flagged as UGC and you can also filter them out. So a better analogy is the way the novels are to the TV show.

They're supplemental non-canon material. You can revel in non-canon content like the novel fans... Or you can see it clearly labeled and filter it.

One reason why it is kept out "in universe" is so that travel can be a part of a UGC mission/episode objective.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
One reason why it is kept out "in universe" is so that travel can be a part of a UGC mission/episode objective.
Nothing stopping us having space travel in the holodeck, ive seen a few episodes like that. So it could be exactly the same as a mission now.
Lt. Commander
# 26 UGC, Holonovels, and Exploits
10-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Dan's already said they have a way to prevent exploitation, so you won't have to worry about Telosian devices being installed in your quarters. As such, no reason to limit UGC to the Holodeck IMHO. Yes, some missions will undoubtedly "break" immersion, but the ranking system should filter them out quick enough.

Also, just because they're not calling out "holonovels", doesn't mean you can't make them In fact, given they've said we'll be able to recreate any of the existing missions you can definitely create holonovels (just tie a mission, for example, to a door on the deck of your ship/starbase you label Holosuite A).
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbasePrime
Dan's already said they have a way to prevent exploitation, so you won't have to worry about Telosian devices being installed in your quarters. As such, no reason to limit UGC to the Holodeck IMHO. Yes, some missions will undoubtedly "break" immersion, but the ranking system should filter them out quick enough.

Also, just because they're not calling out "holonovels", doesn't mean you can't make them In fact, given they've said we'll be able to recreate any of the existing missions you can definitely create holonovels (just tie a mission, for example, to a door on the deck of your ship/starbase you label Holosuite A).
You mentioned that is would be limited if placed in the Holodeck, I dont see how, in fact i'm not even proposing that in order to enjoy UGC you would need to visit the Holodeck (although personally i think that would be cooler) you could have an option off your minimap/radar drop down menu called Holodeck, where you can see the latest UGC and choose which one you want to do or view the most popular etc.

All I and the majority of people are asking for is for it not to be set in the "real world" as if anything that limits your choices, if it where in a holoprogram then you could do anything. Plus im sure that people will write into their UGC popular canon figures, maybe using the toon creator to physically represent them, of if not possible at lease allude to them in the NPC speak or mission text. You then run the risk of lots of Picards and Datas running around acting none canon, hell there is enough "Kirk Spock Slash" fans about im sure they will recreate some of their "work" using the UGC. At least if this was presented in the format of holoprograms then it doesnt break immersion and any non canon actions or events can be easily dismissed as "its only a holoprogram"

Plus as ive stated, we can then introduce holo subroutines as a drop item or mission reward, hell even a C-Store item, which can add more options such as (as im mentioned above) Wild West themes etc. You can even have them as Accolade awards, kill X Borg and you are awarded a uber rare Borg Queen NPC Holo-Subroutine for use in your UGC holo-novels.

EDIT/UPDATE
This UGC debate has hijacked this thread, besides i think it deserves one of its own. So ive created a new on on the General Discussion forums, i wont link to it as the infraction point happy mods will do me for cross threading no doubt. Many of the points ive raised here and examples ive used again, but it is not the same post and therefore is not a duplicate, just a lack of imagination when it comes to examples.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-13-2010, 02:19 PM
@Brodie: I completely get where you are coming from with the holo-novel thing. What I don't like about it is that if I am going to play UGC, or create it myself, I'd like to have it in my mind that what I am doing is a part of the STO universe. Something just bothers me about doing episodes knowing my toon was just running around in the holodeck.

However, there may be possible solutions where both parties are happy - have the person making the UGC be able to choose in the beggining if the episode were going to be a holonovel or an STO mission. This of course can be hindered by jokers who click their UGC to be 'real' on their mission and they make Conan the Barbarian appear on the bridge alongside the Predator. However, perhaps this coupled with players being able to vote 'holonovel' or 'Episode' on the UGC they play could alleviate a lot of concerns.
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
The majority of people want the UGC to be released with a Holo novel format and have been saying so on the forums, but as far as i can tell there has been no indication that the devs have paid any attention to this.

Im concerned that if this is new project blows up in their faces through not listening to their player base, that it will get dropped and left in a half finished state in favour of some new project much in the same way so many others have.
this isn't getting dropped. the rest of what you mentioned (ESPECIALLY sitting down, are you ****ing kidding me? so minor its hilarious) is so insignificant compared to UGC it's not even funny

and being someone who RPs on a daily basis I get that sitting down doesn't work, trust me. it's just not something I want the devs to even THINK ABOUT at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllus View Post
I was looking forward to UGC, but it's not going to be the panacea that dstahl seems to think it is. It's certainly not going to fix the problems being shoved to the back burner so they can try to get this done.

'We're doing this.... and that... and that thing over there... oh yeah, and those things too.' Meanwhile one thing gets done and the rest gets forgotten. This team has absolutely no focus.

Account canceled as of today. This is one Klingon who doesn't want monster play.
don't let the door hit ya on the way out.