Lt. Commander
I have made 4 RL photos for you:

they are showing my Logitech G15 LCD display with Everest and FRAPS so i can show Framerate and GPU usage, also a part of the Monitor is included so you can validate if the User Interface is active or not.

For this Test i deactivated Vsync and set the Frame Limiter under the advanced options to OFF.

I am sitting in a pretty much empty exploration map, only a few Asteroids and 2 Ships (including myself) on screen,
so it is not like this would be a fleetaction or PVP map or something that might be heavy on the System.

here are the pictures:

User Interface Active:

86 Frames per Second

GPU usage at 65%

...after ALT + F12 with deactivated UI:

98% GPU usage

139 Framse per Second

WHAT THE ..... !?

right now i am using a
MSI HAWK NX460GTX.... = Geforce GTX 460 with 1GB ram
Intel Q6600 quadcore @3,1GHz
4GB Ram (STO roughly uses 2GB... that is with windows 7 running in the background...)

dxdiag is attached as x86 and x64 version.

I can accept the argument that the User Interface needs some CPU and GPU power and therefore the frames drop a little...

but it is NO reason for the GPU usage to drop by 35% and stay half idle while the action is onscreen, in reality it should go up because the system has more to do!

Sorry but i just have to ask: is this "The way it's meant to be played (TM)" ?

//ticket nr: #983153

//edit:

it seems to be directly connected to how many icons or UI elements i have on screen, when i open the Inventory GPU usage drops to 50% !!!
I even can see a noticable diffrence by only switching the Powerbar Presets (you get the best frames with preset 3 if anybody wonders, probably because it removes the Bridge Officer hotbar.).
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
Everything he said
I have the same Nvidia card, game settings turned up to max, running the maximum supported resolution on a 40 inch monitor (1920 x 1080 I think?) and my system/vid card isn't breaking a sweat. I wonder if you have a hardware issue going on on your 460? Also, I had graphic studders when using the 258 series drivers. I am using beta 260.83 driver now and it cleared up a lot of my issues. Might try that?

My system:
Intel i7 CPU 2.67 Ghz
8 GB RAM
GTX 460/1 GB RAM
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-05-2010, 05:02 PM
260.63 drivers are the latest beta drivers
and i have installed them just before i tested this.

i am pretty sure that i had the same issue with the GTX 260 that i had before that (it didn't show me the GPU usage in Everest but the frames dropped noticable when opening the inventory.)

I can't go back much further with the drivers because the card isn't supported that long.
The shadow flickering seems to be gone with the 260.63.

i run 1680x1050 with everything pretty high, i just lowered some of the view distance stuff without realy gaining any frames ...no wonder if the real problem is the User Interface.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
I can accept the argument that the User Interface needs some CPU and GPU power and therefore the frames drop a little...

but it is NO reason for the GPU usage to drop by 35% and stay half idle while the action is onscreen, in reality it should go up because the system has more to do!
Actually your first line there is the answer to the second. What's happening here is simple enough: the frame rate is being limited by inefficiencies somewhere in rendering the UI. It's not a lack of processing power, but rather that drawing the UI isn't very parallelisable and doesn't use very much of the video card's capacity - it probably happens all on the host CPU - but the frame can't be released until it's finished, so the frame rate drops. Since the GPU is rendering less frames, it has less work to do, so the utilisation (measured over time like your thing is doing) is lower.

The thing which clinches it is the numbers you posted. 86/139 is 0.61, 65/98 is 0.66. Your GPU usage has increased by almost exactly the same proportion as your frame rate.

None of this appears to be a problem. Why do you care?
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
None of this appears to be a problem. Why do you care?
you do not realy ask me why i care that my (expensive) hardware isn't properly used?

your theory would mean that the CPU is slowing down the GPU, which i find hard to believe.
as you see in the pics the CPU usage is at 34% without UI and 41% with UI so that is only a 7% increase with lots of room to go up.

Also keep in mind that this is an empty scene, in Fleetactions my frames can easily drop to 20 while my CPU and GPU are pretty much idle, so that is why i care.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Quote:
you do not realy ask me why i care that my (expensive) hardware isn't properly used?
Nothing that is going on here is improper. It's all pretty normal really.

Quote:
your theory would mean that the CPU is slowing down the GPU, which i find hard to believe.
I have no idea why you'd find that hard to believe, because STO is primarily limited by CPU power and not by the GPU.

Quote:
Also keep in mind that this is an empty scene, in Fleetactions my frames can easily drop to 20 while my CPU and GPU are pretty much idle, so that is why i care.
All the evidence you have collected conclusively proves that this loss of frame rate has got nothing to do with drawing the UI. Whatever is causing that, the problem is somewhere else.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-07-2010, 02:58 AM
I don't see how you can come to the opposite conclusion with the same evidence, but ok let's play your game and deny that the actual problem is the UI and that it slows down the hole game by a third.

So what else should i do?

Throw more Hardware at the Software?
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-07-2010, 08:56 AM
The GPU usage drops when more of the rendered scene is obscured by the UI, which is much simpler to present. Makes sense, actually.

The framerate, however, is odd, but I'm sure Miiru is correct - increased CPU interaction when the UI is up knocks down the framerate. (Every window probably has its own listener...)
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
(Every window probably has its own listener...)
Actually it's just that they do most of the UI rendering on the CPU, because current GPUs can't do this sort of thing very well.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
I don't see how you can come to the opposite conclusion with the same evidence, but ok let's play your game and deny that the actual problem is the UI and that it slows down the hole game by a third.
That's probably a false lead - it's capping the framerate to the speed at which the UI can be rendered, not applying a 1/3 slowdown in all circumstances. And 80+fps is a perfectly acceptable mean frame rate.

Unless performance in busy fleet actions improves when you switch off the UI, it's not related to the actual problem.