Lt. Commander
# 1 New Player Requires Info!
10-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Hi all,

I've been playing MMO's for about 2 years now. First with WoW which thankfully only lasted a month, but I've been pretty dedicated to Warhammer Online. I'd probably consider myself a veteran of the game learning all the tricks etc trying to be the best I can be.

Anyways, I was hoping to get some info on this game! I've always been a fan of ST (especially with the possibility of flying around in my own Sovereign class starship. So here goes my questions!

1. What is the game like now? I had heard that when the game was released it was lacking in some regards (ground missions for example). Is there enough content to keep me going once I hit max level?

2. Once hitting max level, is there still character advancement? In the way of unlocking new weapons/better stats etc?

3. How is the pvp? While I don't mind doing pve I tend to enjoy battling against human opponents.

4. What is the group play like? How many ships do you get in fights? Anything crazy like 100 Federation ships trying to take down a Borg cube?

5. Is the game more instanced or is it an open area I can warp to/get caught off guard by enemies etc?

6. Are there awesome high tech things you can use like Transwarp/Quantum Slipstream/Quantum Torpedoes?

Well there they are, just a few questions off the top of my head. I have tried downloading the demo but unfortunately it keeps on giving me this error:

Fatal Error: Error decompressing data. Verifying Files in the laucher may fix this issue.

Technical Details: ./piggs/data.hogg:Animation_Library/Skeletons/Anim_Objects/Skel_Anim_Objects.Skel:
Error decompressing data. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.

Tried verifying it but unfortunately it doesn't work.

Anyway it would be great to hear from a veteran of this game and the ups and downs its gone through. Would really love it to be a game I can get into!

Thanks again!
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-07-2010, 08:08 AM
1: No. There's no real end-game system, yet. Right now all we have are the weekly epsides, which take about 10-20 minutes. There's also simple repeatable DSE missions that you grind for purple items and 4 STF (raid) episodes.
2: Yes. You can redo various missions for currency-types to get Mk XI purple gear.
3: Can't answer that. I don't PvP.
4: Team size is limited to 5 people. There are Fleet Actions that can have dozens in them, though.
5: It's instanced.
6: Yes. Everything you've seen in the shows is in the game. Antiproton weapons, Transphasic weapons, and the like.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Let's take this 1 at a time.

1) It's much better than beta or launch, but if you want a fully polished game wait for Season 3. There are still some rough edges like the occasional glitch or mission wall.

2) At max level there are daily missions that you can do to grind up Emblems, these are the currency for the best of the best gear. Also, there are some hardcore fleets that constantly do Special Task Force missions that are repeatable to get high end loot.

3) PvP is a seperate entity that you need to use a queue to get into a match. This allows for you to be all about PvE, or constantly queue up with your team for PvP marathons. There are a few balance issues now and again that get nerfed, although the Klingon usually win in space due to their cloaks.

4) The max group for a mission is 5, which can get hectic since enemies scale up to match the greater number of allied ships. Also, there are Fleet Actions which can have dozens (up to 50?) people in 1 instance fighting PvE to accomplish objectives.

5) The game is all instanced, with enemy NPC Deep Space Patrols (you can see that) that like to chase you down for a battle.

6) All characters get a Transwarp to Earth, but if you get enough Diplomatic Experience, you can get Transwarps to DS9, Starbase 39-Sierra, and Starbase K-7. Slipstream is a max level ability that greatly increases your speed in Sector Space for a limited amount of time. (REALLY cool looking too). To give you a taste of more tech, here are all the torpedo types: Photon, Quantum, Plasma, Transphasic, Tricobalt, Chroniton.

Perhaps you should post in the Tech Support forum about the launcher error. Feel free to ask more questions!
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-08-2010, 12:39 PM
1) I joined the game slightly after the release and found it fun to play. Which is why I'm still playing. It can always use more content - that can be said of any game, but you can't expect it to be full of stuff if you compare it to WOW or something that's been out for years. You have to look at it as new and separate. So "I've been playing MMOs for ...." mentality needs to be chucked out the window. This is Star Trek you're here for!

2) Related to number 1, you can get some new toys now with the Weekly Feature Episodes - the new missions that come out every week - so far there have been fabulous goodies at the end of each episode - new weapons and even a new bridge officer (although that will be withdrawn on 14th Oct because it is a special bonus). Once you hit max level you stop earning skill - you can't max every stat and become an uber god because that just isn't realistic. You can retrain your skills, but the main thing is working on probably getting all the best gear, and once you've done that, then enjoy the weekly new episodes. Or what you should probably do is create a new alt character and try totally different options - those skills you couldn't max, a different race, a different gender, a different class... Limiting the end cap is a way to force diversity between your characters - otherwise everyone would be the same with every skill.

3) PvP is extremely tough because there are elite teams of players who just go around killing you in one shot. Which is why I don't play it. I suppose if you did it a lot, you'd get better and become more used tot he tactics yourself or get your own team of players who could help you. Fortunately it's not necessary, at least not unless you are Klingon.

4) You can only have 5 people in a group, but there are fleet action missions that have 20 players in them together.

5) The game is super instanced. But there are NPC enemies that will attack you while you are flying around space.

6) You can do all of those things.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-08-2010, 02:18 PM
I played WAR for the first month of release but was already subbed longterm to *** so stayed there. WAR is made up of huge instances with an open environment with mobs populating it, STO instances are smaller and is just empty space with systems and some roaming mobs like what you'd expect in a space game. But when you fight mobs, do missions you have to zone in to secondary self/group instance. These are the systems/mobs you see in the sector instance.

1. What is the game like now? I had heard that when the game was released it was lacking in some regards (ground missions for example). Is there enough content to keep me going once I hit max level?

Right now it's a gear grind at max level. There is no reknown levels or RvR at max level like WAR. But they're planning on adding more endgame content in the future.

2. Once hitting max level, is there still character advancement? In the way of unlocking new weapons/better stats etc?

Like #1 it's gear grind at this time.

3. How is the pvp? While I don't mind doing pve I tend to enjoy battling against human opponents.

PvP in STO is seperated in two ways, space and ground. Like scenarios in WAR there are arenas, capture and hold and assualt maps. There's a couple of open PvP instances. There's no big faction(RvR) type battles at this time.

4. What is the group play like? How many ships do you get in fights? Anything crazy like 100 Federation ships trying to take down a Borg cube?

The biggest PvE battle is 20 people, same with PvP.

5. Is the game more instanced or is it an open area I can warp to/get caught off guard by enemies etc?

It's more instanced than open at this time. The wandering mobs in sector space can catch you offguard and you'll find your ship being destroyed quickly.

6. Are there awesome high tech things you can use like Transwarp/Quantum Slipstream/Quantum Torpedoes?

Most of the trek stuff is in the game and more on the way.

Well there they are, just a few questions off the top of my head. I have tried downloading the demo but unfortunately it keeps on giving me this error:

Fatal Error: Error decompressing data. Verifying Files in the laucher may fix this issue.

Technical Details: ./piggs/data.hogg:Animation_Library/Skeletons/Anim_Objects/Skel_Anim_Objects.Skel:
Error decompressing data. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.

Tried verifying it but unfortunately it doesn't work.

Looks like a corrupted download.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hunter 9
although the Klingon usually win in space due to their cloaks.
This is false, while it potentially offers them the chance to better organise it doesn't win them anything, even then unless it's a team (and regardless of faction, if you're in an organised pvp team you've pretty much guaranteed victory against any pug) it's never used to the extent it could be used to dominate. In the lower levels they generally have better gear because the only thing for them to do is explore which gets them exploration marks which is in general a lot better than the gear the fed side pick up from the story missions or any of the cheaper gear that's affordable on the exchange.

At end game there's usually a carrier or two so you pretty much always know where they are.