Lt. Commander
# 1 Why do devs find grinding fun
10-07-2010, 11:23 AM
I may make some people upset but why does cryptic think that makikng us grind for days on end repeating the same missions over and over again for emblems to get upgrades. How can anyone justify this as fun I can also mention the 4x4 square "planets" for ground missions also, none of this to me is fun as star trek could be.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-07-2010, 11:48 AM
I doubt they find grinding to be anymore fun than we do, but what do you think is an alternative? Once you max out your level and played all of the story missions, there aren't a whole lot of options for the devs to turn to. They have talked about making the story missions replayable (for the achievement hunters, mostly I would guess?) but until UGC hits, or they raise the lvl cap and give us more weeklies/PVE missions, you might as well get comfy in Grindville.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-07-2010, 11:50 AM
How many MMOs don't have grinding as the end-game content? What do you do in WoW at max-level? You grind for purples in raids. It's basically the same in every game; it's just that some MMOs have more grinding content then others.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-07-2010, 11:53 AM
In my opinion relying on UGC to me sounds like they are running out of ideas and they want us to bail them out so they put minimum devs on this mmo and go work on something else.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emea
In my opinion relying on UGC to me sounds like they are running out of ideas and they want us to bail them out so they put minimum devs on this mmo and go work on something else.
It's not about running out of ideas. It's about only having X number of people to work on mission content. It takes weeks to implement a mission that a player will go through in 10-30 minutes of play. There's no way for Cryptic to stay ahead of the mission content demand, without doubling their staff and their expense.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Like i said in another post, I'm worried whats going to happen to the game when UGC comes to the game. It didn't work out good for City of Heroes.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:
I may make some people upset but why does cryptic think that makikng us grind for days on end repeating the same missions over and over again for emblems to get upgrades. How can anyone justify this as fun I can also mention the 4x4 square "planets" for ground missions also, none of this to me is fun as star trek could be.
Take into consideration the price that goes into making an RPG. Adding new exciting content if extremely pricey.

Also look at the trend most games follow...grinding for gear/reputation/diplomacy etc helps devs by stretching out the time in between gaps of content. The grind is there to help devs by stretching out the time in between gaps of content so people can not instantly rock out full purples and then get bored with the game. After all if you have all your best loot, and don't care for doing pvp/stfs for the sake of doing them, why bother logging on?
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-08-2010, 05:42 AM
I'm no doubt showing my noobiness here, but what is UGC?
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort1980 View Post
I'm no doubt showing my noobiness here, but what is UGC?
User Generated Content - Essentially you can create your own missions using built in templates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikura
Like i said in another post, I'm worried whats going to happen to the game when UGC comes to the game. It didn't work out good for City of Heroes.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. The fact cryptic failed so badly in CoH means they will have a better idea of what was wrong and hopefully they won't make the same mistakes twice.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-08-2010, 05:50 AM
Oh, ok, thanks

I remember seeing that for CoH/V and thinking it looked like fun. Never got a chance to play around with it properly though. If it sucked that badly though, maybe it's a good thing I didn't. Let's hope it works well for ST:O though. Being able to write your own episodes could be kinda cool.